Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Dorks and dragons: Cloth maps and action figures -- actually not that cool

- - - - - action cloth cool dorks dragons figures maps

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
1up had a story about video game packaging. Ultima actually gets a full paragraph. But not in a good way.

Some games got just a little too dorky (you know, other than the nerdy war games that came stuffed with hex maps and battle plans). Though this isn't exclusive to a particular era in time, early MMOs like Ultima Online and EverQuest are particularly guilty, throwing in everything from painstakingly illustrated cloth maps to (in the case of UO expansion Lord Blackthorn's Revenge) unpainted action-figure molds. Other than acting as stop signs for potential romantic partners, these crazy props served no practical purpose (the maps often were notated in whatever crazy symbol-language their game world utilized). Remember the ill-fated Ultima IX: Ascension? In addition to conforming to the organization-defying box-design pitfalls outlined above, U9's gigantic container housed a cloth map, ye olde spellbook replicas, a small deck of tarot cards, and a certificate of authenticity signed by series creator Richard "Lord British" Garriott himself. If that sort of collection doesn't get you labeled "King of the Hardcore Geeks" by everyone you know, we're not sure what will.

Ouch.

Shrink Wrapped: A History of PC Game Packaging Trends, From Awesome To Awful from 1UP.com

I think the cloth map was fine, but those action figures for LBR were over the top. I never even took mine out of the box.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
heck mine sat on the top of my desk for at least a year! looked at it everyday, the map on the other hand got stuck back in the box never to see the light of day again :)

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I only ever bought one copy of UO, which was (From memory) UO Renaissance
I think it came with a cloth map, I honestly don't remember.

And yes, the LBR toys were...yea :P

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
They were trying to boost Todd McFarlane since he did a lot of the artwork for the new monsters and was big into action figures at the time thanks to Spawn doing so well for a while... *shrugs* Can't blame them for trying something different. And yeah, ours sat on top of my computer, which was in the corner of the dining room at the time. I think the cloth map was on the wall... hehe I'm proud of being a net-geek.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

DarksieD

DarksieD

The old guy from Atlantic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
still have my cloth map and action figure...and I've been married twice...thank you very much ..so apparently the stop signs not working for me :P
Posted Image

MalagAste

MalagAste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Sad to say that I actually purchased some UO Action figures that hang on my wall to this day. The original one that I got in LBR I think bit the dust due to child abuse..... (kids killed it).... As for Maps...... We have gotten several... I don't have any cloth ones.. but most the ones we have gotten, that include The Tram/Fel maps with the lost lands..... Illshnar, Tokuno, and Malas I used to have pinned to my wall near the computer... made for quick reference when I was looking for somewhere in particular to get whatever I was dreaming of hunting that day.... At anyrate ... most of that stuff is unnecessary and I suppose that makes me a very bad UO Geek/nerd if that's the case.

Posted Image
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Actually for me, given the choice of a $30 USD digital download and a $60 USD box with a figurine, a cloth map, a manual, etc... I'll choose the box everytime. :)

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
/agreed

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
I gotten plenty of use out of the maps over the years. Big deal, guess I am nerd then.

2 games similar playstyles - one gives me a map and other goodies, the other does not - for a similar price? Not hard to guess which one I am going to try.

I gotten a ton of use out of the included manual from the Second Age expansion. It still sits next to my computer, in case I need the handy maps of all the old cities.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Dorks!!!!

I'm a closet gamer IRL, no one knows I even play computer games except the people I play them with and if anyone asks what I have a computer for, I go with the only acceptable answer , like this guy...

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
Just shows how the game changed. From 'dorks' who wanted cloth maps to kids who wanted toys.

The figure from lbr was just a try to get more kids in and who knows, maybe it worked then. See what WOW merchandise there is and what profit they make, too bad ea never managed that.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
True Kaelyn, and good point. Maybe UO tried to jump on the ship too quickly (didn't have the millions of followers WoW does) with an inferior product (the actual merchandise, not the franchise).

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: action, cloth, cool, dorks, dragons, figures, maps