Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Help me find a home!

- - - - - find home

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Predin

Predin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello everyone.

Lately I have been getting the itch to come back to Ultima. I tried to find a good shard, but I have no idea where to play. I checked some of the top game sites, but they don't give any information like peek players online.

I'm looking for a well populated shard, and I want to play on it with my wife, so no-pk please. Name any suggestions that come to mind so I can check them out.

Mira

Mira

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
What shard did you play on previously.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
Welcome back?

Well first off you do not have to worry about pks anymore. If you stay in the Trammel facet of the shard you choose.

As for choosing the right shard for you? It depends, where are you really playing from? General local? US, Europe, Asia?

then if you have already reinstalled UO what are your fastest pings to the uo servers. Usually I would suggest one of the top three from your list, since the faster your connection the less lag you get in game.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Twilight

Twilight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Come play on lake superior! We need U!

Arhilion - Level 29 Mage - Ravencrest

"My mood is like my MSN it's always going to stay busy" - Arhilion

Lady Luna Rossa

Lady Luna Rossa

Retired Mystical Being

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Hello everyone.

Lately I have been getting the itch to come back to Ultima. I tried to find a good shard, but I have no idea where to play. I checked some of the top game sites, but they don't give any information like peek players online.

I'm looking for a well populated shard, and I want to play on it with my wife, so no-pk please. Name any suggestions that come to mind so I can check them out.

Welcome back! it is always good to hear one players returning rather then leaving.

If you roleplay at all and decide on Pacific, check out our informational site at Society of Ancestral Guardian Elders |

Predin

Predin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just wrote a response, and I went to edit it, but it said invalid post. Now it's gone. Did someone erase it? Let me try this again.

First, thank you everyone for being helpful. I wish I knew about this site long ago.

Second, I played on two shards previously. The first one I played on was IPY, In Por Ylem I believe. A friend got me hooked on Ultima playing there. The next shard I played on was a family one, Allure of the Unkown. Allure introduced a lot of new things to me, different colored ores, mounts, things like that. The problem is, it became so redundant. Camping champ spawns in champ rooms, getting doom artifacts, and having super powerful pets were all the server was about. You couldn't get anywhere without it. On IPY, being a smith or a tailor was valuable. Dungeons became more or less useless on Allure. You couldn't just grab a friend and go hunt a dragon and get a cool good sword. I missed that about IPY, it was more simple and involved. I got tired of sitting in a training room all day on Allure training pets otherwise the SUPER paragon demon would destroy me. On IPY, every time I left guarded limits I would be killed. So, maybe a balance of the two would be cool.

Third, I live in the East Coast of the US. I used to use progams like UOGateway and ConnectUO to see what the most active servers are, but they are no longer it seems. The best severs on the top shard lists only have a few dozen active forum members, and probably even less that play.

I said in my last response I would check up on Lake Superior, and came back to edit to say I did. Is the adress uols.net, because it says under construction.

Thanks everyone.

Predin

Predin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
In fear of pressing the edit button, let me add one more thing I didn't address.

I purchased UO:Samurai Empire, they told me it's the latest one. I have yet to install it.

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
Hello Predin -

Some words/phrases trigger moderation, where your post needs to be approved. This is what happened with your previous post. Fear not the edit button! :)

I think the 9th Age is the latest release. It lets you use certian items that were added in the game. I may have a extra code, I will look for it.

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Predin

Predin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh, the 9th age is the latest? Hmm, I'll have to find that somewhere, thanks.

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
I may have a extra code, I bought about 6 copies :P I have to check when I get out of school, if I have one that works, you can have it.

Posted Image

Predin

Predin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh, like a cd key? Sweeeeet.

Where can I DL the game?

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
I haven't played UO in a year or so, so I'm not the best to answer this. I don't think you need to download anything extra... It will just give you the ability to use the new items. You can also download the Kingdom Reborn client for free from their site. Its like a 3D rendition.

Posted Image

Lander

Lander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I would be interested in a 9th anniversary key code if you have some extras floating around!?

Paidric

Paidric

The Youngherder [HLP]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
Come to europa... where the indigenous are friendly :)
"If deathrobes were bank checks... I'd be filthy rich!"

New in Ultima Online? Visit Haven Helpers
Trade at Ingame Auctions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Predin

Predin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
A 3D rendition of Ultima? I wonder how that is. Europa? I'd appreciate if any shard suggestions were accomodated with links to their websites. Is there any place to check out shards like UOGateway used to list them?

Wow, I just checked out that 3D rendition. That is impressive. What is it about the 2D I am so partial to, though? It's just classic.

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
Several of your comments bring some curious thoughts. First and foremost connectuo and uogateway are ways to access "freeshards" as I'm assuming from your previous shards played is what you have played on. If you are planning on playing EA sponsored shards you will have to pay the monthly subscription fees. We do not support freeshards here so you will find very little information on them here. On the other hand if EA's shards are what you are looking for we have a tremendous wealth of knowledge here to help you back into the game.

Predin

Predin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the information. I have heard of free shards and pay shards, I thought it was the people who run the shard who decided that. When I first started playing the game, a friend had set it up for me through UOGateway. I thought that was the way it was done.

How much is the monthly subscription fee? Feel free to share your wealth of knowledge.

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
UO is owned by EA/Mythic. They host a variety of shards which will vary greatly in ping times depending on the distance from you to them. These shards are all "pay" shards which require a monthly subscription of $12.99 I believe it is per account. Easiest intro to them is to check out UO.COM - Official Ultima Online website - UOForums Useful Links

Paidric

Paidric

The Youngherder [HLP]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
It might be cheaper for you to buy gametime codes from :
http://www.uogamecodes.com/
This is the official site for goodies :)
"If deathrobes were bank checks... I'd be filthy rich!"

New in Ultima Online? Visit Haven Helpers
Trade at Ingame Auctions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Salem

Salem

Koblittabom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Hmmm, baby. Come to Legends. Lots of elbow room.

*winks*

Hehe.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: find, home