Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

WoW: Legal battle over Warcraft 'bot'

- - - - - battle bot legal warcraft wow

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Posted Image
Source:

The makers of World of Warcraft are locked in a legal battle with a firm that has produced a tool to automate many actions in the virtual world.

Blizzard is suing Michael Donnelly, the creator of the MMO Glider program, which performs key tasks in the game automatically, such as fighting.

Both sides have submitted legal summaries to a court in Arizona.

Blizzard says Glide is a software bot which infringes the company's copyright and potentially damages the game.

In its legal submission to the court last week, the firm said: "Blizzard's designs expectations are frustrated, and resources are allocated unevenly, when bots are introduced into the WoW universe, because bots spend far more time in-game than an ordinary player would and consume resources the entire time."

'Infringed agreement'

Blizzard argued that Michael Donnelly's tool also infringed the End User License Agreement that all parties have to adhere to when playing the game.

More than 100,000 copies of the tool have been sold, according to Mr Donnelly. More than 10 million people around the world play Warcraft.

Mr Donnelly said the first time had had been aware of potential legal action over his program was when a lawyer from Vivendi games, which publishes Warcraft, and an "unnamed private investigator" appeared at his home.

In his legal submission, he detailed: "When they arrived, they presented Donnelly with a copy of a complaint that they indicated would be filed the next day in the US District Court for the Central District of California if Donnelly did not immediately agree to stop selling Glider and return all profits that he made from Glider sales."

"Blizzard's audacious threats offended Donnelly," according to the legal papers.

Mr Donnelly says his tool does not infringe Blizzard's copyright because no "copy" of the Warcraft game client software is ever made.

Blizzard has said the tool infringes copyright because it copies the game into RAM in order to avoid detection by anti-cheat software.

The two parties are now awaiting a summary judgement in the case.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I hope he gets fried.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
So is this how those companies sell all that gold?

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Instead of sending suits to throw papers in his face they should have hired a pair of thugs to break his kneecaps. See if Mr. Donnelly gets "offended" after that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
hook him up to a polygraph and see how fast he changes his story. 'didn't know.' meh. I wish more development companies were like blizzard though and actually pursue their interests and protect their work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
From what little I know about each, Glider is a much more intricate and "harmful" program than the UO "easy-mode" software that makes the rounds.

I think it was kind of nice for Blizz to give him a chance to back down before taking him to court. Course, at 20 bucks a pop x 100,000 people that bought it, I guess he can afford the legal fees.

Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Need more info on Gliders?

Check here.

Or just watch this informative clip:

YouTube - Glider for World of Warcraft - WoW Bot

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Court Documents can be found here

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
Wow now I know what Markee looks like, Thanks for the vid & links guys!

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
:)

He's got lovely suspenders, eh?

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
My theory is that the obesis tend to use bots more than someone with minimal body fat. Its only a theory, but I am sure I can find a wiki to support it. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
:Rofl

You're killing me Maddux!

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
These obese ppl are ruining my mmo games with their laziness.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Hey! I'm not lazy.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Hey! I'm not lazy.

You dont exactly wear suspenders either. :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
True, these XXXXL uniforms fit just right.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Petra

Petra

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

You dont exactly wear suspenders either. :P

ROFL was just gonna ask....
is that guy wearing suspenders? *kablinks*

o...M...G... I could only WISH to have enough time on my hands to have a YouTube such as this... *sighs and quits her day-job* :o

Posted Image
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
But would you wear suspenders also? Only?

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battle, bot, legal, warcraft, wow