Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Do you think UO needs a PROPER new player guide?

- - - - - guide player proper uo

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Was thinking the other day, after reading some new players posting questions here, that the game is confusing for new players
They don't know much about how the game works, what to do, or how to do it
Do you guys think there needs to be a proper (offline) new player guide?

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Adam your site was my new player guide when I started. There is so much information on this site. And yes I think there should a a PROPER new player guide.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
Yes,

but I doubt you will ever see one again.

Plus there is the fact that you would need basically 2 guides, one for 2D and one for the KR client. Since the commands are different for each.

Its really not worth the time/effort to go through. Like it or not, believe it or not, UO is a niche game, has been for a few years. EAMythic dropped the ball, decided to not even try to market the game. Everything Online wise for EAMythic now rests with Warhammer.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I agree Warsong. :(

Nasher

Nasher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I think so. I barely remember flipping through my manual when I bought my very first copy of the game, but I always wanted an interactive online guide that would "hold your hand" through the whole process of doing multiple tasks. Not just on the web, but also in-game.

After all, isn't the whole point of a "tutorial" to show you how to do the most basic of things until you're squirming in your seat, eager to do it yourself?

Look at Runescape. Now there's a game that won't even LET you off Tutorial Island without accomplishing something with about 4 or 5 skills. Wait, isn't that what the quest system in New Haven is for?

As far as a player guide, the official one that's there could use a major GUI change. Japan's UO site could be the template...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nasher - Elder Paladin - CoV
Edgemon - Citizen Cartographer - Rose

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I would SO love a proper new players' guide. My very first is so ratty and torn and bent up and highlighted and scribbled in that I keep it for sentimental value. I also have the subsequent guides for Second Age and LBR. Actually referred to the LBR guide the other day for a map of a town.

The best part of having the guides was the ability to read and study them away from the computer - at work on breaks or laying in bed...

Dorky, yes, but I absolutely loved having them.

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
"Do you think UO needs a PROPER new player guide?"

Yes.
  • As a web based knowledge base (aka lore book) integrated into a newly designed web site.
  • Also available as an Adobe .pdf file as a free download from the web site, and included on all release media.
  • And as a deluxe bound print version. Available free as part of an expansion pack purchase; and as standalone purchase for those consumers not wanting the entire expansion pack just to get the book.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
I agree with Warsong also.You only have to see the EA Warhammer page from a Google search

'EA Mythic - Warhammer Online
Official game website. Includes news, art, videos, frequently asked questions, and a members forum.'

and compare the same with the Google search for UO

'Ultima Onlineā„¢
Publishes, chats, bunnies, and explosions - just another week in UO! This week's Five on Friday covers ... 2008 Electronic Arts Inc.'

which takes you to this EA UO page

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

The best part of having the guides was the ability to read and study them away from the computer - at work on breaks or laying in bed...

I thought I was the only person in the world who did this. =)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

I thought I was the only person in the world who did this. =)

No, :P and it shows how nerdily addicted some of us truly are.

Love the new sig btw.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Olaf DoT

Olaf DoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Uo is known for being very hard for new players. A new updated guide would help keep the younger players playing longer!

Posted Image

TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico

The Suave One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
To be honest, how many new players are there? Does UO even come as a boxed set or is it all just downloadable now. I can't say I've seen Uo on store shelves since ML. I would guess most "new" players are just those who have reactivated old accounts or opened new accounts...la

Paidric

Paidric

The Youngherder [HLP]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
I meet totally new players, daily. I'd say 2 at least and the same for my guildmates. Add to that those we can't catch and the fact it's only one shard. Not that bad :)
"If deathrobes were bank checks... I'd be filthy rich!"

New in Ultima Online? Visit Haven Helpers
Trade at Ingame Auctions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

To be honest, how many new players are there?

I have no idea re NEW new players, but in the past few months 2 people I played with years ago came back to the game, and so much has changed that they might as well be newbies :)

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Paidric also has an awesome new player website - Haven Helpers
I completely forgot about it.

TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico

The Suave One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I have no idea re NEW new players, but in the past few months 2 people I played with years ago came back to the game, and so much has changed that they might as well be newbies :)

That's a good point. I'm back after a year or two lay off, and things have changed quite a bit (other than insurance is still in the game :( )...la

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
When I first started I thought ... I've played other games ... I can do this.

After flailing for an embarrassing amount of time. I went out and bought primagames guide (around the AOS ish launch).

It has some stuff that is still relavent, and some information that is made irrelavent by pulishes. But after going through it again ... even this book falls short of the potential and complete scope of the game.

It's a daunting project since there are SO many systems and things to do as compared to other games.

Nok

Nok

• Members
  • 3,217 posts

Paidric also has an awesome new player website - Haven Helpers
I completely forgot about it.

Added to the UO Toolbar.

Posted Image

Paidric

Paidric

The Youngherder [HLP]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Added to the UO Toolbar.

Thanks for that :) I hope it will help players outside europa.
"If deathrobes were bank checks... I'd be filthy rich!"

New in Ultima Online? Visit Haven Helpers
Trade at Ingame Auctions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nok

Nok

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
Anytime Paidric! It's a great site, especially for new players... no matter where they are from. :)

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide, player, proper, uo