Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Aside from a skill mule, does anyone really use the focus skill?

- - - - - focus mule skill

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Kind of reopening one point of this thread with a few questions;

quoted from thread "Re: Soooo much cookie-cutting"

They should make Focus much more important, or simply nerf the mana regen items or something, because these templates are seriously overpowered IMO... They just outshine all other options you have to go with.

Do you think warriors with no focus are as disadvantaged as mages with no meditation?

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
well on my bush archer i have focus and it is a great skill to have on him expecially being a bush archer when mana and stamina are a must i run this

120 archery 20 from headress
110 bush
110 focus
100 heal
120 tactics
110 anotomy
70 chiv

125strenght
150 dex
59 int

stamina is 168 with suit 5 mana regain 10 stamina regain a beast in pvm

primary weapon crossbow

45 lighting
30 mana leech
10 hci
40 ss
46 di
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
I will always argue that focus is useless, ESPECIALLY on a bush/chiv template. I would MUCH rather use the skill points for Meditation. Basically, Med gives you 1 point of MR per 10 points of skill. Focus give you 1 MR per 20 points of skill. So for GM focus vs. GM meditation, you will have 5 MR with Focus and 10 with Med. The next argument will be the "well I get stamina increase with focus". True. My answer, if you have Chivalry. Divine Fury.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
but divine fury lowers your defense, thereby you take more hits for more damage.

so I use focus on my pally, each to his own. But I use him for pvm. If I was going to pvp with him, I would swap focus out for resist.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

but divine fury lowers your defense, thereby you take more hits for more damage.

so I use focus on my pally, each to his own. But I use him for pvm. If I was going to pvp with him, I would swap focus out for resist.

Yep, so I just add DCI item so I run above the cap. I generally shoot for 50-53 DCI, which counteracts the reduction in DCI. This is also helpful in PvP when when someone gets a HLD off with the M&S glasses or a weap. Same theory as running 75+ fire resist on your suit to counter a corpse skin.

LemonSqueeze

LemonSqueeze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
:( I think focus is just useless.. hell I've gotten 120 focus powerscrolls and trashed them.. because there is no point.

StoneCypher

StoneCypher

Legendary Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I use focus on my mage alongside med and there is, I feel, a considerable difference in my mana regen. She has 115 med and 100 focus. She had med only before and I was having some issues with mana. Not really anymore though. :) I hope it's not my imagination! According to the player guide I get a 5 mana regen bonus every 10 secs for my gm in focus.
StoneCypher

LemonSqueeze

LemonSqueeze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
you're making a mistake only have 115 med :( you either need 110 or 120.. no in between.

StoneCypher

StoneCypher

Legendary Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
LOL I just read that after I posted that :P need 120 for the other mana regen point. *goes shopping*
StoneCypher

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
My Mage/Alchy/Scribe has both Med and Focus (plus MR stuff) He absolutely never runs out of mana.

I wouldn't play a Paladin without it. It gives the mana boost every 20 points and a stamina boost every 10 points. So even 110 is good. With my 110 Focus I never run out of stamina and I can use my mana, and casting time, to spam holy light instead of divine fury.

~Edit~
What is a skill mule? I have not heard that term before.

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
A skill mule is a character with high Med and high Focus (or complipmentary skills) used to train different skills to GM and to be later transferred to a soulstone or fragment for later use. Or to just store skills that you are not currently using.

EmersonBiggins

EmersonBiggins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I accidentally trained focus to 100 on my mage (who still has skill points left over thus far)... I NEVER run out of mana unless I'm working inscription. I can cast 7 circle spells almost repeatedly (helps to have 140 int)....

Now, I guess when I decide on the rest of his template, focus might get tossed, though.

holmedog

holmedog

The Holmedog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Wait, you use a character slot to GM skills? Sorry, but that is CRAZY. I always need 10 more character slots :)

Limlight

Limlight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
I could be wrong...but I thought at 115 Med...you still got a fraction of the 1 MR...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Do you think warriors with no focus are as disadvantaged as mages with no meditation?

I have it on my spellweaver:

6x 120
------------
Magery
Eval Int
Meditation
Focus
Resist
Spellweaving

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.
I never use focus, not even on my mule. Here's my thinking:

Focus = stamina regen + a little mana regen
Meditation = lots of mana regen
Divine Fury = instant stamina regen
Thus, Meditation + Divine Fury = perfect for my archer/weaver and swords/bush chars.

Some people swear by focus. I swear against it, lol. :-D

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I just added 40 points of focus on my tamer. The problem was that I kept running out of stamina in even short runs, and a pain spike usually meant instant death. Now I have at least a chance.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

Wait, you use a character slot to GM skills? Sorry, but that is CRAZY. I always need 10 more character slots :)

You only have a skill mule until you have 100 or 120 points soulstoned off for every skill.

So, I've got a ways to go yet!

~M

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
I had it on my peerless archer. don't remember my exact template, but he had 110 focus
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Gypsy

Gypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I keep focus on a stone. I'm training inscription at the moment, and with 120 med and focus, there's a lot less waiting and medding. Very handy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: focus, mule, skill