Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Request for a 'Satyr Guide for Dummies'?

- - - - - atyr dummies guide request

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

MacLeodLV

MacLeodLV

L/V Elder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Any knowledgeable powergamers out there interested in writing up a basic, detailed guide on powergaming with the Satyr discord method? I'm a returning player, and much of my powergaming knowledge is outdated.

Surely if I am in need of this kinda information, there are plenty others out there who'd also benefit.

Thanks.
Duncan MacLeod,
High Councilor of Virtues -
Legion of Virtues, Chesapeake

Nero Blackraven

Nero Blackraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Quick Guide.

Go down near swoop, find a satyr attack it invisi (probably have to get someone else to do this since your skills will drop) or run back through the sparkle gate. Go back in follow the satyr around. Choose your skill and work it.

For example, doing a lockpicker is a pain in the higher levels cause you need to work on dungeon chests to get gains. Not with the satyr trick, keep that one gm box in your pack and pick and un pick it till you GM.

Another example: Cartography. You used to have to read and decode a whole bunch of level six maps after you made world maps to finish off this skill. Not anymore. Get discoed and continue to make world maps till you are GM.

Tailoring used to be a resource heavy pain in the butt. Not anymore. You can go all the way up to 120 making oil cloths. You don't even need to use leather anymore to make a 120 tailor and can go from 90s to 120 off of a Blue Beetle and maybe a bit extra. Added bonus you end up with about 17k of bandies too.

Be creative there are tons of things that can be done with this trick. Training pets and more.

MacLeodLV

MacLeodLV

L/V Elder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Or bring a buncha invis scrolls/potions?

Follow the Satyr, meaning that'll keep you discoed?
Duncan MacLeod,
High Councilor of Virtues -
Legion of Virtues, Chesapeake

Nero Blackraven

Nero Blackraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Yeah you have to stay within range of the Satyr but I am not entirely sure what the distance is. so I just put myself in follow mode. I can't remember I think it is ctrl click and that way you are always near him.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Does the satyr trick always work? When I tried it, even though my skills were discorded, my skill gains were still uber slow

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
I've tried it for lockpicking, cartogrpahy, inscription, I can't remember what else I used it on. It's faster when you start doing it while your skills are still low (skills around 30-40 disco'd), but it does get slow again when you get it up. Around 60ish for me, it starts slowing down.

Oh and we used it to train pets too.

Nero Blackraven

Nero Blackraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
It seems to me that even though you might be discorded to say 60s in something, the gains don't really go up like you are in the 60s. Still for things like tailoring I would say 17 of cloth is much easier to deal with than trying to do it at home with tons and tons of leather. This is the real benefit of the trick but still the gains do seem to be slow but for some reason not as slow as it would be if you were trying to gain at your real level. I can only speak through experience though and this is not based on any indepth study of gains.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ahh, good point :)

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Another Satyr method:

- Attack, run around, stay alive until disco'd
- Run out the portal
- Invis, immediately show
- Return through the portal
- Follow the Satyr around. Better yet, trap him between several people doing the same thing

Best way to complement this method is to Soulstone off all unnecessary skills. Your gains will still be slow if you are 720 trying to trade out skills.

~M

Acara

Acara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
So how do you get a satyr to discord you,instead of just giving you a facefull of arrows. My Lockpick character isn't the most resilient chap yet & I end up getting jacked before ever seeing a discord.

Also is there an easy way to tell when your discorded (do the red notes come out like when players do it) ...do you get a symbol/icon on your stat bar ??

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
No, you don't see the red notes (I asume you play KR) - at least afaik. Just have your skills open and watch them - when they take a dive, you achieved your goal.

The way to do it is: attack him and then instantly flee towards the entrance. If you're in the grassy area near the champ altar, let him get closer until you get discoed and the run out immediatly. go back in and follow him around.

I may take some tries with the annoying runs to the shrine for resurrection (a friend to ress you would come in handy). I died a lot with my worker too, but once you made it, you can follow him around for hours, so it's worth it.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

So how do you get a satyr to discord you,instead of just giving you a facefull of arrows. My Lockpick character isn't the most resilient chap yet & I end up getting jacked before ever seeing a discord.

Also is there an easy way to tell when your discorded (do the red notes come out like when players do it) ...do you get a symbol/icon on your stat bar ??

You will receive a message. Watch for the one that says you've lost skills. Other possible messages include a warning that something has been provoked on to you and a message that the satyr attempted to bard you, but failed.

~M

Acara

Acara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Okay ... I'm an idiot, but hopefully someone will find this mildly amusing;

** scratches head while walking back to get a rez for the 10th time over 2-days, wondering why damn satyr trick doesn't work when he clicks on centaur ***** .... doh!!!!!!!!!!

mythology 101 .... satyrs & centaurs are not the same :'(

I think my brain has been turned to mush by locking/picking boxes for a week straight. Made at least 10 trips to weald, lost about 30k in insurance money, numerous bags of boxes, regs, potions, etc...... by clicking on centaurs vs satyr.

Now that I've worked that issue out ..... *smacks head*

Any suggestion where to get 70-skill locked boxes on atlantic? My Carp/Tink is GM & I don't want to have to carry 200 picks everytime I go training. Would boxes bought from provisioners work for gains once I'm disco'd.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
No, but that answer to how to get a 70 tinker box is quite easy: Just get your Tinker discorded and then craft a box ;)

Acara

Acara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

No, but that answer to how to get a 70 tinker box is quite easy: Just get your Tinker discorded and then craft a box ;)

Why ya gotta go and bring up that damn Satyr again :P

Acara

Acara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
omg... figured it out finally, and this is sinful.

95 to 99 in 2.5 hrs !!!!!

Im using gm boxes, and breaking picks like a fiend (411 so far), but it seems quicker than relocking the boxes after each pass.

Acara

Acara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
99.8 wit another 165 picks

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
Last time I tried my hand at lockpicking I ended up with a Pick in my nose!!!

Never again.

Acara

Acara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Finally GM after another 71 picks & another 38 minutes.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Congrats!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atyr, dummies, guide, request