Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Update: Crystal Ball of Pet Summoning and PvP

- - - - - ball crystal pet pvp summoning update

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
An update by Leurocian was posted on Stratics regarding Pet Summon balls

Hail and Well Met,

We want to thank everyone for giving us your input on the Crystal Ball of Pet Summoning and its current use in PvP. After assessing your feedback, we have decided that the following adjustments are needed:

* Pet summoning balls should unhide the summoner when attempting to summon her pet.
* Pet summoning balls should have a couple second casting animation with the chance to disrupt like other spellcasting.
* Pet summoning balls should have a reuse delay of 15 seconds.
* Pet summoning balls cannot be used while in animal form.

We feel these changes should balance the Crystal Ball of Pet Summoning in PvP while having minimal impact in PvM. QA is currently reviewing these changes internally. Once the changes pass internal review, they should appear on a public Test Center for an upcoming publish.

Once these changes are on Test Center, please be sure to send us your feedback on these changes.

Good gaming!

(Wasn't posted on UOHerald, the official source for UO news, but still)

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts

* Pet summoning balls should have a couple second casting animation with the chance to disrupt like other spellcasting.

How long exactly is a couple second?

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

(Wasn't posted on UOHerald, the official source for UO news, but still)

Wait, that site still exists? I figured it would have died from inactivity by now.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
84 seconds... give or take? hehe
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Thoughts:

1) The summoning time is fine, I hope it is no longer than the time to mount an ethy

2) Why include a 15 second reuse delay if there is a casting time? That seems like overkill.

3) What about using multiple balls linked to the same pet? Multiple balls with multiple pets? Really only applies to weaker, non-pvp animals - so I'm hoping there is no 15 second delay between using two different balls linked to different pets.

In other words, for number 3 above: The fix should be implemented in *pet* code, not crystal ball code for this aspect, IMO.

~M

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

Thoughts:

1) The summoning time is fine, I hope it is no longer than the time to mount an ethy

2) Why include a 15 second reuse delay if there is a casting time? That seems like overkill.

3) What about using multiple balls linked to the same pet? Multiple balls with multiple pets? Really only applies to weaker, non-pvp animals - so I'm hoping there is no 15 second delay between using two different balls linked to different pets.

In other words, for number 3 above: The fix should be implemented in *pet* code, not crystal ball code for this aspect, IMO.

~M

My thoughts on your thoughts:

1) All very good.

2) Won't be heard here (UOF).

3) If you want them to be heard you need to post them on their officially-non-official forums.

3a) Don't forget to spam it in every thread possible.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
I've never tried to link a pet to multiple balls, can you do that?

Even if you have multiple pet balls all linked to different pets, you're still limited by the follower slots.

abracadabra

abracadabra

Mindless Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Yes you can, I've had 2 balls per pet in the past when the insurance bug was a possible threat, one ball in my backpack, and another in the bank box. For the proposed changes, I see more pet deaths in mob situations where they just won't follow you away, even with 120 lore, vet, and taming. Silly pet just wants to keep bashing aggressive critters even to it's dying breath. I hope if the 15 seconds reuse remains, they quickly learn a better follow me and leave the nasties alone instinct in the near future.
Posted Image

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
It has already been clarified that the reuse timer is tied to the character. If you use a pet ball you can not use any other for 15 seconds.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
* UPDATE *

Will the tamer also freeze in place while he is summoning his pet (like Magery spellcasting),
or is this a spellcasting ability that can be used while running (like Holy Light etc.)?

~~~~

The summoner will freeze in place.

Patrick "Leurocian" Malott
Lead Designer, Ultima Online
EA Mythic

~~~~

* Pet summoning balls should have a reuse delay of 15 seconds.

AND

No - players should have the delay, not the pet balls. Else people will just carry a bunch of them to avoid the timer.

~~~~

The delay is on the player, not an individual pet ball. Just wanted to clarify that.

Patrick "Leurocian" Malott
Lead Designer, Ultima Online
EA Mythic

~~~~

Leurocian -

Your stated goal is to balance the crystal ball usage in PvP.

With that in mind why aren't these changes being implemented solely as part of the Felucca ruleset? What goal are you shooting for with throwing these rules across the entire game?

~~~~

Not speaking for Leurocian, but in general, consistent code is stable code - setting up special cases is something best avoided unless it's really necessary.

E. Jeremy Dalberg
UO Community Coordinator
EA Mythic
www.uo.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ball, crystal, pet, pvp, summoning, update