Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Centralized RP Community?

- - - - - centralized community rp

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

Floria

Floria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I didn't try being cynical for once (why, aren't those virtual homes made of pixels? :) ) and there's no reason for you to read things in my post which I haven't actually said. I'm not having an agenda or a reason to dish out against anyone here.

But thanks for supplying some examples for my argument. Those are exactly the reasons why people are attached to their houses. Nothing wrong with that at all. It just presents a problem for the everyone-in-one-place idea. Which is pretty obvious as nobody can be in two places at once - even those people with 7 characters in 7 different guilds.

For the everyone-in-one-place RP plan, someone has to let go of their (mini) hub / establishment and move into a place together with other people... or you can try rounding up people who aren't tied to a location.
Unless this happens, there's little chance that this everyone-in-one-place idea will ever succeed. And while I think this idea is intriguing, I'm not blaming anyone for not attempting it yet.

Posted Image

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

The voice of common sense.

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

People get very much attached to their virtual pixel homes.

Sounds pretty !!!!ing cynical to me.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Edmund Fairholm

Edmund Fairholm

MoongatesWiki Curator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
A lot of good contributions made so far in this discussion. I think it's a good idea to list possible solutions and places: It's easier to have something concrete to hold on to when discussing this further.

I agree with Floria as she wrote earlier in the thread that there could be two different approaches to this: The first moving the community to a more centralized area (like Greater Yew, Southern Britannia (Greater Trinsic), Vesper-Minoc-Cove, or an island) or moving to (one or two) towns (such as Britain, Trinsic or Serpent's Hold).

The second approach, of moving to a city (or maybe two?) reminds me a lot of the initial ideas surrounding the formation of CoRE: ERPA was split up in a vast number of cities, some guilds broke loose and decided to focus their efforts on two cities (Vesper and Trinsic), making one community. This is also a good idea, but I'm sceptical as to what guilds we might pursuade to move and as to which town(s) it would be situated around.

I think it's pretty obvious that the latter isn't going to work unless a few of the currently alive guilds suddenly falls over and disbands. As it is today, there are three/four hotspots for role-playing: Trinsic, Vesper, Yew and Cove. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken here, I haven't played for a while.)

As I mentioned earlier, I'd be willing to put my effort in if it would be possible to reach a mild consensus on a rough plan or strategy. Personally, I've got to agree with Kaelith that the Vesper-Minoc-Cove area would be the most sensible one to bet on, considering that you'd have to move the fewest guilds. So I'm arguing this from a rational point of view.

That said, I'm pretty sure you could make similar arguments for both Trinsic and Yew, especially if you take into consideration the player-owned villages and towns.

Posted Image

Floria

Floria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Sounds pretty !!!!ing cynical to me.

whatever.

Feel free PM me
*sighs* why do threads on RP forums always take a turn like this? You know, I told you it wasn't meant cynical now just let it be. Next time if you think anyone may have a problem with my thread just let them speak up for themselves. ...

Anyone feel free to delete this post. I just had to get this off my mind.

And thanks for reminding me what this community is all about

Floria - I tried to pm you about this message, but it didn't go through for some reason... I saved your original post, as I don't like to edit other peoples posts very much. Only did some "deletions" in the post. Thanks, Aly

Posted Image

Xnath

Xnath

Urukku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Private messages exsist so you can troll each other, please dont do it in this thread :)

/backseatmod

Udrak

Udrak

Za Jâb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Hmm. Sadly I think this is right. Until the community is completely and utterly dead nobody is going to move, and even then they'd probably just quit instead of putting in some hard work. Either we need to come up with an alternative or I think the only way it might work is if two of the big guilds make an effort to forge more of a community, like Grd did when it made CoY.

Kimi

Kimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

...even then they'd probably just quit instead of putting in some hard work. Either we need to come up with an alternative or...

I don't believe that it is a case of people not wanting to put in any hard work, to keep RP alive. In fact, I have a few choice words I could share on the notion.
To put it simply, there are two words:
Community
and
History
Many roleplayers put a lot of effort into developing their characters. In the course of this, they develop the communities they role play within.
As a result, history is formed.

The history of a role play community is the result of a lot of work.
I wouldn't go as far as to say "Blood, sweat and tears", but the efforts of the people within the community, over the course of time, come together to form history and lore.

Is it becuase people don't want to put in the effort of moving to a new location?
Or, is it that people don't want to cast aside everything they've worked for, over the course of their role playing "career"?
Should the epilogue of a city, or faction's history be "and, they all lived absently ever after"?

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

I don't believe that it is a case of people not wanting to put in any hard work, to keep RP alive. In fact, I have a few choice words I could share on the notion.
To put it simply, there are two words:
Community
and
History
Many roleplayers put a lot of effort into developing their characters. In the course of this, they develop the communities they role play within.
As a result, history is formed.

The history of a role play community is the result of a lot of work.
I wouldn't go as far as to say "Blood, sweat and tears", but the efforts of the people within the community, over the course of time, come together to form history and lore.

Is it becuase people don't want to put in the effort of moving to a new location?
Or, is it that people don't want to cast aside everything they've worked for, over the course of their role playing "career"?
Should the epilogue of a city, or faction's history be "and, they all lived absently ever after"?

Some very good points made in this thread overall but particularly the last post.

Way back when the game was rich with an abundance of Roleplay guilds,we had to find reasons to be/not be in each others towns/cities etc.

Many ideas were worked out and enacted in game,athus providing the History being spoken of.

There was always an 'unspoken' consensus,that once some thing happened in game,it was a done deal.

You couldnt just log in the next time and act like it never was.

Thats where the plan for the OP ideas [ though very worthwhile ] basically falls off the map ,before even tried.

Hedlyn posted some very good reasons as to why things are the way they are,and whilst I agree Yew is an ideal area to accomodate such ideas,its not JUST about pixel crack housing.

Take DOT and E-V again as an example.

Trinsic has always been the town of the Paladins,and DOT have built their roleplay history around those Paladins.

They are the guards of the Paladins and thus would lose not only their identity but would be walking away from years of history.

E-V, now well established in Trinsic area.

What in the world could possibly warrant them to even venture to the furthest reaches of yew.

For them to be any where within sniffing distance of Grd,would just be the biggest travesty of all time.

Same with a guild like KH.

Grd being the elf murdering,torturing,beheading [ Devnet] group they are would absolutely rule out any such idea.

Even the Knights Templar who are allies of Grd.

Can you really see them moving themselves from Templewood [ or Beaufort as people like to call it these days]

Heck people gave their lives in that place during the Unholy War,and back in the day huge battles were fought,won and lost there.

The only possible way the ideas to 'merge' could happen if EA were to
orchestrate some sort of act of nature ,whereby everything was destroyed apart from Yew and everyone had no choice but to find a home there and some how survive alongside each other.

Of course you could all roleplay that,that had happened,a bit like when there was a volcanic eruption that hit Vesper and we went to LL for a time.

That was done with the idea of merging all the guilds for a few weeks and I distinctly remember the trouble that brought IC.

It gave many chances to offspin onto other things.

All the above is based purely from an IC perspective although
OOC I also remember the guild[s] in particular who's GM's dug their heels in and flatly refused to take part in the plotline,which took a lot away from it,but that was their perogative.

You would basically have to wipe out all the current guilds ,and reform everyone into ' new versions ' of their guild and start the history all over again, from Yew.

Its a very very difficult situation.

/tabbs

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Udrak

Udrak

Za Jâb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
You don't necessarily have to 'wipe all the guilds out', though a fresh start could be refreshing. I'm certain suitable stories could be written as to why we would all suddenly move.

Maybe the Elves decide that it's their duty to defend their hunted brethren in Yew against the Militia and try to build a sanctuary there? With 'The Revolt' causing havoc in Yew, perhaps DOT decide to garrison Yew to 'secure the kingdom' (DOT & Grd are allies, right?) and perhaps merge/reform around that? Cove and Vesper (I can't remember if they are allied or not, been out of the community too long, sorry!) could have a settlement on the shoreline where they help the Revolt and generally try to cause Yew to fall under their influence? Could make it a long, long detailed 'plot' so it never has to end...

Just throwing some thoughts out :P

Edmund Fairholm

Edmund Fairholm

MoongatesWiki Curator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'm a great sceptic that ideas like the ones you've sketched up will come into life, Udrak. This is mostly because I believe a change in the material foundation needs to take place (i.e. that there are no more role-players left, the guild is dieing, a guild disbands, &c.) before you can expect people to act. In other words: People needs to feel it before they act. Not all parts of the community is in equally bad shape. I wandered by Trinsic last night, and saw more RPers than I've seen in ages, to use an example. I'm sure this applies to a few other places as well.

On the other hand, I like the ideas you've sketched up, but I forsee another problem arise with that: There's always been an internal conflict in between the loyalists. Traditionally, DOT and Grd has always been at war. This comes as a result of frequent attacks from Grd at Trinsic. Grd on their side will claim that DOT is not fulfilling their commitments as a loyalist town, by e.g. allowing drow and elves in town and various other reasons. More information about this can be found on the MoongatesWiki (http://wiki.moongate...alists_(Europa)). LB was initially on Trinsic's "side" but later decided to take a more neutral position in an attempt at uniting these two sides with, admittedly, limited success.

Keep throwing out some more thoughts, though ;)

Posted Image

Henry Winter B^F

Henry Winter B^F

Brigand

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
It would definetly draw players back if all the RP was in one area but as Hedlyn states, this has been discussed over and over to no avail. Someone needs to stand up and get on with creating this new RP area and just see who moves in!

Posted Image

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!

Telsia

Telsia

Virturi Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
This might come along as somwhat selfish, but Yew has been my home now for almost a year and a half (plus about 2-3 years scattered around) and its still a thriving, active and fun RP community, which I wouldnt leave for anywhere.... (and heres the selfish part), if other city communities are struggling, thats their problem, the people in Yew are happy where we are. If people want to move, they can move to Yew if they want, but I see no reason why we should move when we are happy with what we already have.

Expanding on the last part, if a guild actually realised that their area was dead with no life and needed to be 'moved', then I would expect the guild master would have been inteligent/brave enough to make a decision to move their guild to where there is more RP activity, not just sit around and wait for the inevitable.

The only possible way the ideas to 'merge' could happen if EA were to
orchestrate some sort of act of nature ,whereby everything was destroyed apart from Yew and everyone had no choice but to find a home there and some how survive alongside each other.

That would be an excelent solution. Magincia style.

Posted Image

Sineal Walker

Sineal Walker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Personally, i'm attracted to the idea of every guild uprooting and moving to a single guildstone in a single town with no prior rp community and no player owned buildings. It was suggested by Nightchill on f4g.net that we all move to Delucia and make a fresh start. Everyone make a new character to move to this new settlement; that helps tone initial IC and OOC friendships/hostilities down a bit and allows new ones to form from IC interactions.

It would be pretty much impossible to agree on any of the towns with pre-existing communities, as bias is so universally strong. I agree with Hedlyn that Yew is the only plausible candidate for a diverse community of small player run settlements, but I understand that others would feel resentful that we'd get to stay put whilst everyone else would have to move. Certainly, Grd isn't going to be moving anywhere else - as Telsia said Yew is doing very well at the moment so we have no reason nor inclination to move.

I've heard the argument that one town is not enough for drama, that you need multiple warring factions. I don't agree - internal factioning can work very well as long as it's encouraged and has good grounding IC. I don't know if anyone's seen Deadwood, but that's my idea of what a perfect single town RP community would be like. A new, underdeveloped settlement populated by an extremely diverse mix of people with many different reasons for moving there. There'd initially be a political power vacuum with no formal militia set up and no rules on things such as crime, magic, religion, elves/drow etc. The way things went would all be down to which faction of characters with similar political views was the most successful at getting their way.

The only problem I see with this idea is that it would require an extremely well developed and tightly controlled system to keep things running smoothly. People's wealth, influence and which buildings they own would have to be dictated by a central authority, otherwise you'd just have people turning up and claiming to be billionaire nobles without having worked for it in the game. I don't know if many here are familiar with the old PoY project in CoY, but I had something like that in mind. You pick a profession for your character and can only gain the right to wield better equipment, the ownership of town buildings and wealth from proving that you are actually working your job in the community.

Unfortunately, I imagine the particulars of this system and who was part of the central authority would be highly controversial and I doubt we'd get a firm consensus on it. I also think a lot of people would be unwilling to make new characters, or everyone would find out who everyone played too early in the scenario, bringing back OOC grudges. However, IMO it's ultimately the best way to make our ever dwindling role player base lasts as long as possible and is as entertained possible until it dies completely. At least, it would be good to give it a trial run for a week or so - if it really doesn't work its not like we've lost anything. We can always just go back to our old chars.

Rowland Gill

Rowland Gill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
There is absolutely no point in moving everyone to two or more cities as proposed with the Minoc/Cove/Vesper area. The distance between Cove and Vesper is no different to the distance between Trinsic and Minoc with a quick Kal Ort Por. The only advantage to a single city over the current layout is that it would saturate said city with activity, but over three cities that saturation would be that much smaller and therefore not really worth the effort.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

Personally, i'm attracted to the idea of every guild uprooting and moving to a single guildstone in a single town with no prior rp community and no player owned buildings.

Everyone make a new character to move to this new settlement; that helps tone initial IC and OOC friendships/hostilities down a bit and allows new ones to form from IC interactions.

A new, underdeveloped settlement populated by an extremely diverse mix of people with many different reasons for moving there. There'd initially be a political power vacuum with no formal militia set up and no rules on things such as crime, magic, religion, elves/drow etc. The way things went would all be down to which faction of characters with similar political views was the most successful at getting their way.

I also think a lot of people would be unwilling to make new characters, or everyone would find out who everyone played too early in the scenario, bringing back OOC grudges. However, IMO it's ultimately the best way to make our ever dwindling role player base lasts as long as possible and is as entertained possible until it dies completely. At least, it would be good to give it a trial run for a week or so - if it really doesn't work its not like we've lost anything. We can always just go back to our old chars.

Well said,and a great post of ideas.

Oh and if people dont want others to know who they are,then they shouldnt tell them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rowland Gill

Rowland Gill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Ideas were never something this community was in short supply of. It's action that has always been absent.

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

It would definetly draw players back if all the RP was in one area but as Hedlyn states, this has been discussed over and over to no avail. Someone needs to stand up and get on with creating this new RP area and just see who moves in!

You mean a bit like when we started a rebellion in Yew and wrote to the Trinsic GMs, Cove, Vesper and VTC and at best got a bit of part time involvement in PvP and a whole load of "sounds like a good idea, good luck, it's just not for us"? ;)

Face it. It's just not that simple and likely just ISN'T going to happen.

& Floria, pick up your toys and stop being a child. You can play the victim all you want - I wasn't launching an attack, just highlighting something that was clearly quite a provocative tone. If I'd posted the same critique of people being 'too attached to their pixel houses' everyone would have seen it for exactly what it was - a bítch. And an unproductive one at that.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Henry Winter B^F

Henry Winter B^F

Brigand

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

You mean a bit like when we started a rebellion in Yew and wrote to the Trinsic GMs, Cove, Vesper and VTC and at best got a bit of part time involvement in PvP and a whole load of "sounds like a good idea, good luck, it's just not for us"? ;)

I tried to get B^F involved by asking you directly and you said "why would brigands help rebels" or something similar. Also Trinsic are not even warred to Grd so obviously they wont get involved.

But what i mean is if players {not gms} see it happening, maybe they will join characters and a few guilds in one area will build up. That's a start.

Posted Image

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
The rebels wouldn't have accepted the help of criminals. Though admittedly at the time I thought you were a Yew-based guild anyway so I'd have made no conscious effort to help you get further involved. It's only very recently I learned you'd moved to Trinsic.

And the fact Trinsic aren't even WARRED to Grd sort of enforces the point the nay-sayers are making really. We don't all WANT the same things from a centralised community. The North-South divide across the server isn't really just an in-character thing, it rather represents people's interests in types of roleplay, as well.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Why many guilds aint warred with Grd comes from many things.. specially the things from Klion.

I've never really interacted with many Yew people.. but i must say 50% from the people have been acting mature and 50% are trying to be mature but acting like childs... "My way or not at all" .. Klion is one of them. He abusing a stealther at Trinsic ... ooh yes happened over and over right away when we warred him again.. Im sure he had fun.. but no one els had fun. This goes for more Grd..

But then also ive had some real fun rp encounters with other Grd. But thats not enough for me to say- I want to move to Yew. I never needed yew before.. Now I've quit so i dont care... If i got back maybe i need Yew - But I cant see myself fit in their with any of my chars since they are all mages.

and hedlyn tune it down a bit... You attitude is not really helping. Discuss this in a mature lvl.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: centralized, community, rp