Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Centralized RP Community?

- - - - - centralized community rp

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

Udrak

Udrak

Za Jâb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
First perhaps I'll introduce myself... Udrak, Orc ;) I'll confess now that I come from CoY originally and pretty much quit when it collapsed. Nor have I been around too long since I returned. Because of this you might call me an arrogant elitist for my suggestions but i think it's worth a shot if it has a chance of improving RP activity.

So far I've noticed there is barely any activity at all unless there's an organised event. I've popped by Trinsic occasionally and I haven't seen anybody for 3 weeks. Vesper's activity seems to be focussed at the Swagger's and I haven't seen anything but the occasional Cove guard. Disagree, of course, if you feel I am wrong, and I admit I don't spend my time during the peak playing hours running from town to town trying to find players (which in itself is the point).

I know you CoRE/ERPA lot are set in your ways and like your city-guilds and are used to teleporting all over the place. But I feel there is a lack of casual RP and the reason is that there is no one place to gather for it. I, personally, don't really enjoy scouring the whole of Britannia in an attempt to find somebody to RP with, especially when I'm roleplaying a lowly Orc who prefers to stick to his own territory. Everybody is spread about across the entire globe, and since the player base of UO is forever decreasing, wouldn't it possibly be better to centralize on one location and rearrange ourselves accordingly?

I know this sounds a lot like CoY... well, it is. Minus the strict rules. Whereas I, again personally, liked the CoY rules, I doubt very much you'd all be willing to go that far! I'm by no means recommending Yew as the central location either, especially since only GRD seem to live there now? Even though the guild I am in is based in Vesper wilderness, I think that Trinsic region could offer a lot more diverse guilds based on the fact that the city is surrounded by mountains, jungle, forest, swamps and islands (the latter, sort of).

The beauty of CoY is that you only had to walk 5 minutes to find somebody to interact with.

I'm not really proposing anything, but I am throwing the idea out there and seeing what people think?

Thaur Macil

Thaur Macil

Norway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Love the idea as always. Only problem is guilds have to be disbanded and renamed, as pretty much all active RP guilds now are city guilds. Unless we can find a sneaky and superb way of doing this, it will be hard for guilds to give up their history and start a new "life" I presume.

Vordrius (V^S) ‎(17:52):
THAT'S why all my chars have been ********!!! It's because I knew deep down I hated RPers!!!

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

The voice of common sense.

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
Lol @ thread #219347123921 on this subject.

G'lucky, buddy. ;)

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Xnath

Xnath

Urukku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
You could always build an outpost or something in an area, you would have to think of a decent IC reason for that first though.

Udrak

Udrak

Za Jâb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Lol @ thread #219347123921 on this subject.

G'lucky, buddy. ;)

Thanks useless Troll! Being that I just came back to UO I wouldn't know, would I? :)

Udrak

Udrak

Za Jâb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Love the idea as always. Only problem is guilds have to be disbanded and renamed, as pretty much all active RP guilds now are city guilds. Unless we can find a sneaky and superb way of doing this, it will be hard for guilds to give up their history and start a new "life" I presume.

Yep... that's what I thought the problem would be. But if people want a centralized community then somebody is going to have to take a leap somewhere. But are people willing? That is the question of the thread!

Kaelith

Kaelith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
The alternative location is the vesper-cove-minoc area.

loyalists have always had a connection to minoc for some reason, wouldn't take a great deal to move them there, and then vesper and cove are already "populated".

I always thought it would be the perfect RP area, along with quite a few others. Trinsic is just too hot and southerly. RP looks so much better in the rainy north, imo :)

But heck, I don't play and havne't played for years. doubt I'll come back, but just chucking it out there again.

I hope you get a more positive response to this than the other million times! these forums are absolutly dead these days though.

Gwen Irima

Gwen Irima

Lost elf

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationHolland

I've popped by Trinsic occasionally and I haven't seen anybody for 3 weeks.

I spend about all my rp time in and around Trinsic and there is lately often people around at certain hours (especially after 2100gmt) Walking by the trinsic west gate, seeing nobody, doesnt mean we're not there :P

Posted Image
-oOo- About Elves -oOo-

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Thanks useless Troll! Being that I just came back to UO I wouldn't know, would I? :)

It's not personal buddy, it's just it isn't going to happen. I'd love a more centralised community, I too am one of the remnants of CoY still hanging about in these parts - but you're flogging a very dead horse. Everybody is for a centralised community as long as it's THEIR community that people move to.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

noixiata

noixiata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I spend about all my rp time in and around Trinsic and there is lately often people around at certain hours (especially after 2100gmt) Walking by the trinsic west gate, seeing nobody, doesnt mean we're not there :P

Agreed. I live in the area and enjoy the same privilege. Sadly to many do not in my humble opinion.

I love the idea and would not mind moving personally. First we would in one way or another decide on a place, I hesitate to suggest a proper method of doing this though.

Posted Image

"..the first lesson: that we must be
powerful, beautiful and without regret.."
- Armand

Edmund Fairholm

Edmund Fairholm

MoongatesWiki Curator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I feel Hedlyn makes a very important point here: Everyone is for a centralized community as long as it's their community people would move to. And by all means, this is a very natural thing. This shouldn't be seen as a critique of that.

I really like the idea of a more centralized role-playing community. The only thing that worries me is how it would be organized. As long as guilds remain as attached as they are today to their areas I can see no practical solution. Unfortunately, as Amel, I have no brilliant idea as to how to approach this either.

I'd try my best at supporting an attempt at your original idea Udrak. I hope this thread could start a more general discussion about the community and in what ways we can fix it. The usual moaning is useless unless you provide a good analyze or concrete suggestion as to what needs fixing: We are all aware that the Europa role-playing community is somewhat broken.

Best regards,

Posted Image

Gwen Irima

Gwen Irima

Lost elf

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationHolland
Being very selfish here of course ! I (and others such as stonekeep or where the vesperians are and the covians have their town i bet) would never move from where i am now. I enjoy my time in and with Trinsic. Not to mention those who build player places/towns have put much effort in creating those. Also the interest in roleplay is different between people, think of high and low fantasy, pvp-roleplayers and not so pvp-based roleplayers.

But i'll be interested to see how you are gonna pull it off :) so good luck !

(centralizing in two places may be an option?)

Posted Image
-oOo- About Elves -oOo-

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Since the UO numbers drop and drop this might be the only sollution to keep some fun in RP.

But it also means a huge change and needs to be pulled of very delicate to not "hurt" the character histories and playstyle.

Lets face it.. To have it as it is, then we need more players to actually have fun with it.. Which wont happen - People just dont come back anymore (I dont see a reason for me to get back as it is and know many more feel the same)

With a change like this maybe more people will get intressted in "instant" rp and log on more often?

But as I said... needs to be pulled off delicate. Id suggest an bigger Island like the one Tremere got and put each guild in different corners - Best would be if we'd own every darn house too...

Posted Image

Floria

Floria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I very much like the idea, but it will only happen due to utmost necessity and not because someone thinks its a great idea.

People stick to their own hotspot and wait that other RPers join them, instead of leaving their own place and joining others. Basically everyone just sits and waits and hope someone else makes the first move. Then eventually some people make the move and give up their own place and join others, or they get bored and lured by other MMOs and leave for good.
Unless some guild or group really wants to take the plunge there's little chance of changing the status quo.

Personally I think it's a good idea to "shrink" and inhabit a smaller section of the world. Then again, where will it be? One group will always have an advantage, unless you move to a totally uninhabited area, and the "newcomers" will feel like they've drawn the shorter straw. Then you have to merge different playstiles and interpretations of rules.
So you would probably need a few good GMs behind you who fully support this idea and communicate it to their members and give it a try. You don't need all guilds at first. Just a few who are really commited. If the plan works, more may join, if not, people will just get more disillusioned.

Personally I'm a fan of the "2 hotspots" idea. Because you need 2 sides who can oppose each other for whatever reason (e.g. well-off part of town vs. shady part of town as in Trinsic, Loyalists vs. Rebels, Good vs. Evil) There's no story without conflict. The conflict doesn't always have to be hot, but it should be there to give characters a reason to exist. Also it could help to seperate playstiles a bit. Also I think it may help to detach the RP from player run cities (as the house owning guilds always have an advantage over the newcomers) or cities where RP mostly takes place in player run houses (hello Vesper ;) ) and move it back to NPC towns where it doesn't matter for RP if you actually own a house or not.

Posted Image

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
I (get ready for this, sit down, hold something, brace yourself) agree with VanQa, really. It's something I've said before - generally the interests of people are just too different to really make one, single, centralized community work. I don't think she's even being especially selfish, she's spent years building up the Elven Quarter and that just wouldn't be achievable anywhere else.

I think, howevermanyyears on, Stonekeep is still the best player-made-town anywhere in UO and I think it'd be a crying shame to ever see it surrendered for the sakes of any new community.

I do think Yew has potential - Tel'mar mk 2 (Formerly Sanctum Town), Nihon, The Shire, Deepwood and Cedarwood all still stand or could be formed and the D'Gar clearing is a little town in itself. If the people that own these places could be discovered and communicated with you could house three or four guilds in Yew in fantastic, pre-made environments. Oh, I forgot Kallahar, too.

But you'd need the guilds to go there and the reasons to go there. Realistically Europa RP's probably, what, in it's last 18 months? I just think by now we're past the chance to try and resuscitate the game and are best just trying to make the best out of the situation we're in.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Udrak

Udrak

Za Jâb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
*sees your list and mourns the loss of Tolagal*

I'm glad for all your replies. It's nice to see people interested and maybe the idea can be pushed forward with more people involved.

noixiata

noixiata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

....Personally I'm a fan of the "2 hotspots" idea....

*nods*

...I think, howevermanyyears on, Stonekeep is still the best player-made-town anywhere in UO and I ...

If I wasn't already in Trinsic (and elven quarter), I'd personally go for yew, it's just so huge no one can really compete with it. Besides I love the unique underground catacombs from when I played UD especially. Yes and yes.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Cove's barony and other places in use like our very own marble island.

...I'm glad for all your replies. It's nice to see people interested and maybe the idea can be pushed forward with more people involved.

I think we all still want this to work atleast, however vast the challanges seem. Yes, might I suggest we fight to decide an area to focus in? noooo..? didn't think so :P

Posted Image

"..the first lesson: that we must be
powerful, beautiful and without regret.."
- Armand

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
Yew's just the biggest expanse of free space for players to make their own settlements. There isn't really that in Vesper or Trinsic.

Cove found the perfect space - but there's no room around it for OTHER guilds. Yew is just a huge, massive, expansive forest full of nicely-spaced out clearings. I don't think there's any space in UO as good as Yew for a centralized community of player-run arenas.

Of course, if you prefer the NPC settlements then I guess there's plenty of potential around Trinsic. Personally, my favourite big city is Britain by leagues and leagues. It's just a shame you'd have to work around the 'taints'.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Floria

Floria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I think you can forget any attempt trying to relocate players AND their houses. People get very much attached to their virtual pixel homes. Most people just do not want to risk being worse off after a move, beside from investing a lot of work of moving, redecorating and house hunting.

That's why I think the best way would be to move to a NPC town because the buildings there don't advantage or disadvantage anyone. People can keep their current houses, wherever they may be. Also nobody is "owning" the place: i.e. nobody gets special treatment because they can control guild-only doors, have access to storage or can change whatever building they want. Everyone is on the same terms in a NPC town.

Britain would be indeed nice, but even on Cats, where RPing in NPC towns was pretty big, nobody ever managed to successfully run a Brits guild (just too much 3rd party interference to spoil immersion).

Yew was also on Cats the #1 place, simply because of all the available housing space and with 2 hangout spots for evil characters (Orc Fort area & Yew Crypts).

Second favorite, just as on Europa, was Trinsic. Skara Brae and Jhelom were also fairly popular because there weren't many non-RPers there.
Jhelom was pretty nice to RP. The town is very big and PvP is a lot of fun there, especially the fortifications around the 2 Docks are very nice for city warfare and sieges. There are also 2 other islands available, so you're not running into each other all the time, if you need some privacy for guild only events.

Posted Image

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
I don't think you need to be cynical about "zomg people's pixel homes." I don't think it's as simple as that.

What E-V, or DoT as they now are, have in the elven quarter is a community of houses that works very, very well for their function. Similarly Stonekeep, it's a fantastic, perfect even, clearing and arena. The Swaggers is another similar hotspot. Everything from the building to it's location to the convenient meadow around it is perfect.

It isn't easy finding a location like that, it really isn't. Like I said, Yew is blessed with a number of FANTASTIC player towns that are already set up. The problem being that for the most part they're owned by largely inactive or absent players and no one, for the most part, has an interest in moving to them.

Gwen, for example, isn't scared of "losing" her precious UO thingz. She just knows that she has an absolutely perfect location for her current guild and that she'll probably never get something as ideal should she move. I think you can understand her hesitance and likewise the hesitance of VTC and Grd (who, most likely, will NEVER move.)

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: centralized, community, rp