Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Potential new player looking for a place to call home.

- - - - - call home place player potential

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey everyone, I've really been thinking of giving UO a try again after a long line of disappointments in other online games I've played in the past. Ultima online always really amazed me with the amount of depth that it offered as well as the very friendly community that lives within it.

Most of you are probably thinking, "Well, if you liked it so much, why'd you leave in the first place?". When I last played UO, I made the mistake of trying to do everything solo. I used to be a really independent player in games like this, until I finally realized that a game's only as fun as the community makes it ^^. Not to mention, UO isn't exactly the easiest to get into for a new player lol, so I ended up stressing myself out to the point of quitting. Afterwards, every game I played seemed to be lacking something: great community, in-depth character growth, player housing (one of my favs hehe), etc, etc.

Anyway, I guess I should get to the point =) - I'm thinking about starting the game again after a long break, and I'm about as clueless as any other new player. I was hoping that one of you might know of a nice server with a friendly, open-to-new players, guild that I could join and learn the ropes. I'm a really mellow, friendly person, who's just looking for a nice bunch of people to enjoy the game with =).

Oh, one other thing I was wondering about. I had read about the new KR client that's been added to the game and after watching a bunch of vids with it, I was wondering: Is it still possible to use the 2D client? I have a pretty dated computer, and I'm about positive that it wouldn't run too well for me. Also, I'm just really fond of the 2D graphics - there's just something settling about them *shrug* :laugh:.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any information you can spare, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you soon :).

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
Senvilan,

Hopefully, welcome back! I don't know about other shards, but I play on Lake Superior, and am part of Crafty Arcane Warriors, a relatively small guild that specifically caters to and welcomes new or "almost new" players. We help get them on their feet and truly just "have fun". I know there are actually a couple of guilds like us on our shard, though I can't remember the names atm. If you happen to choose Lake Superior, or just want to check it out, feel free to look up L'arr Hamerfeld, Mastrius, or Raven near the New Haven bank. We would be glad to answer any questions you may have! =)

Oh, and about the 2d client... it is all I use! I haven't been able to run KR successfully yet, so I am still plugging away (and enjoying it) on 2d. Hope this helps!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
And on Chesapeake there are a lot of guilds associated with the many player run towns on the shard, such as PaxLair Statehood, Guardians Gate. Europa also does a fine job of RP
So I guess the first question is where do you live? In the States? West Coast/East Coast? Europe?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
Welcome back,

first off, yes you can still use the 2D client. I would say that many players still use it. Personally I tried KR and it was getting better, but it stopped patching for me and I was tried of the hours it took to redownload. Plus the lastest patch is huge at 813mbs. So until EAMythic gets the kinks worked out, I will stick with 2D.

As to which shard you should play on? Well I would base it on your best connection to the game servers. After you log in, you get the list of shards, hit the connection button there. I would select a shard from those near the top 3 or 5 as these will run the best from your computer. Also it would help if you mentioned the area of the world (time zone) you are in, because it is more players you are looking for. It would be silly to log in on a japanese shard if you are playing from the US because of the time difference you might not see many players when you log in, to say nothing of the language barrier.

Also remember since you are looking at playing on a more populated shard, there might not be as much room for the size home you wish, though again this varies from shard to shard.

Just remember that no matter which shard you choose, there are players willing to help everyone. Its just a matter of finding them.

I can only speak for the shard I play on (Lake Superior), there are a weekly events put on by the players, it has been going on for quite sometime. Although I have not had a chance to participate in about 6 months, I know they are still active from postings on other websites.

So I wish you well in your search and have fun in UO.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks for the great responses! :) I truly appreciate the help.

Bah, I can't believe I forgot to include my location x_x. I'm living in the southeastern U.S. (central time) so any shard close to that area would be great. Although honestly, I have some pretty weird playing times (I usually play in the late evenings to the early mornings) so I guess something in the west might be better. Either way is fine with me though.

Hmm, well, Lake Superior is sounding like a nice choice ;). How's the overall population on the server? I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of soloing in the lower levels regardless of the shard lol, but I was curious about the higher-level activity. I go with the "quality over quantity" mentality though so if it's mainly nice people on the server, that's all that matters =). And thank you for the offer Arioch; I may have to take you up on that :).

It's a relief to hear that the 2D client is still being supported :new_color_:. I wasn't sure since I had read awhile back that they were planning on discontinuing the 2D client once KR was released. I couldn't believe it when I read that and I figured there'd be a lot of ticked off veteran players because of it. Here's hoping the 2D client is here to stay :eusa_pray:. *chuckle*

Oh, one other thing I wanted to ask about - I bought the 9th anniversary collection last year to try the game out again, and I still have the discs floating around, so I was wondering: would it be better to use the discs I have now and reactive my old account (if I can somehow remember what it is lol) or would it be better to download the trial and just go with that? I'd really like to have the free 14 days but if it means having to buy a bunch of expansions again afterwards, it'd probably be cheaper to just re-activate.

Thanks again for all the help, be safe everyone.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
There has been no new content (besides a few events (xmas & valentines day gifts))

so if you can remember your old account, I think it would be better for you, since the ninth anniversary gives you access to the mondain's legacy content, though there will be some patching involved. Besides if you can remember you old account, your characters and everything in the banks will still be there, so you will have a head start. Even if your characters are on a shard where you no longer want to play, you could transfer your characters to a new shard, though this will cost you some cash. Either way you go there is going to be some patches.

Do you remember if you used the new account code from the 9th anniversary edition, if not and you did not give it away, it should be good, if you want to start a new account.

if you go the new trail account then decide to continue, I believe that you would have to upgrade your account to mondain's legacy.

if you can not remember your old account password. you can call EA (though this is a headache since it has been farmed out to india) and as long as you can provide the account name, and the credit card that was used to pay for the last billing cycle, they should be able to send the password to a valid email.

As far as Lake Superiors population, it is still one of the most populated US shards. Atlantic is still the most populated. As far as housing on Lake Superior, well there are still many spots for medium size houses, heck theres a spot next to my villa thats been empty for years since most people will not take anything smaller than 18 x 18.

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Yeah, I guess I'll just go with my old account. I don't actually have any established characters though sadly, since I didn't play very long last time, but I think it would still save me some money to go with the old account vs. going with the trial.

Now I just have to remember my old account info x_x. I don't have the same credit card anymore so I wouldn't have the right number to give support, but hopefully I can figure it out on my own. I normally use the same account name and password for all of my games anyway (with slight variations when it's needed) so it shouldn't be too hard. I just hope it still exists =).

Paidric

Paidric

The Youngherder [HLP]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
Well, the trial gives you access to Samurai Empire extension, if your old account doesn't have it, you'd better go with a trial... So you don't need to buy that expansion to experience the land of tokuno and the ninjitsu/samurai skills.

And... Welcome back!
"If deathrobes were bank checks... I'd be filthy rich!"

New in Ultima Online? Visit Haven Helpers
Trade at Ingame Auctions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Welcome back to UO and welcome to UOForums - Hope you find what you are looking for in UO and enjoy your stay!

If you got any questions about UO just place a thread here and im sure someone of us got the answer to it!

Posted Image

Seamstra

Seamstra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Welcome..

I play on Lake Superior and run U0A Ultima Online Addicts. We welcome every player level and have several vets. We are a very small guild right now. (My Husband and his charries, myself and my charries and Skippy) We are active at all times of the day. We like to participate in the LS Community hunts 4 days a week.

I am ALWAYS looking for someone to go training with. I have a few new charries I am working on. You can usually catch my in New Haven or in Blighted Grove, (Just a little southeasr of Shame) on one of the charries in my Siggy.

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks for the welcome also, Gnomy and Seamstra. It looks like I'll be going with Lake superior when I start up ^^.

Your offer's really inviting Seamstra; it'd be great to have someone to keep me on the right track while I'm learning everything hehe. My only concern is since you guild only has around 2 or 3 members, and since I play so late in the evenings, I'll probably be alone most of the time =/ - Unless of course, you and your husband are insomniacs like me haha =).

In any case, I'm really looking forward to meeting you both in game as soon as I get it up and running :).

Speaking of which, can any of you recommend a good starting city? I remember being pretty overwhelmed last time with the choices lol. I guess it would depend on which class I'm going with, right? And of course, I have no idea which class template to go with lol :? :laugh:. I've always been more of a melee person, so I was thinking maybe a mace fighter with healing abilities or something - maybe something good in pvp if any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks again for the welcomes and the help =). Hopefully I'll be able to get in-game tonight after work if everything goes well.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
All new players now start in New Haven, so that choice is made for you.:) Good luck and welcome back.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
starting city does not matter anymore. everyone starts in new haven now.

just make sure if you use the advance character option, that you start your 3 beginning skills all under 50 because there are new player quests in new haven which when you complete them, you are rewarded with a blessed item, these items are not very good, but for a starting player they do save you insurance money.

As far as pvm or pvp build well those differ greatly now, most people make a character to just pvp or pvm, very few people use the same character for both. I will give you an example, many if not most people have magic resist on their pvp characters but on pvm characters magic resist is not as helpful as it used to be. In fact none of my pvm characters have magic resist on them at all.

As far as a starter character for pvm, I know people will disagree with my skills, but I worked this basic profile up, then I started to tweak it later as I got to know the ins/outs of the character.

Chivarly 100 (gives boost to combat and you can travel)
tactics 100
anatomy 100 (with anatomy of 81 you can resurrect other players)
healing 100 (with healing over 60 you can heal poison)
focus 100 (its like medition for warriors, regenerates mana/dex)
melee skill 100 (your choice - swords,fencing,mace fighting)

plus one open skill at 100 (I had hiding for a time, nothing like getting beat down by demons and running around the corner and hiding :) )
then at one point I had lockpicking on him, to loot chests in dungeons.
Finally I decided to take the first six skills over 100 with the use of power scrolls, but whatever suits you. Go for it.

Lastly, I too you like to welcome you to Lake Superior :). I am on central time also, and I am a night owl too, maybe we might meet someday. Wish I could recommend a guild to you, but I too am between guilds at the moment. If you ever see Warsong running by just give me a shout (unless I am being chased by demons, then I suggest you run also) I am always willing to help new/returning players.

Also since you stated that you would be using 2D, I would suggest you get uo assist, its legal and I find it useful for tracking items in my backpack (like bandages, reagents) its also useful for crafting. But it will cost a one time fee. The program is not needed, I just find it useful and wanted to mention it.

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks for all the info Warsong ^^, I'll probably go with a pvm spec for my first character since I'm still learning the game.

I'm having some probs with my credit card at the moment though, so it will be awhile longer before I can get in and play =/. It shouldn't be too long though.

Thanks again everyone; I can't get over how amazing the community is here =). Top notch!

Elias of Arundel

Elias of Arundel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
You are more than welcome to visit our PaxLair Meetings on Chesapeake...9 PM EST. I'm a Central Time Zoner as well, so I find Chesapeake to be most like home for historical reasons.

The Event Info for Tuesday's meeting is here.

I'm also doing a little something after the meeting, an adaptation A Tale of Two Cities with respect to last week's Scripter House Burnings. It will be great fun!

See the news release here.

Again, you are welcome any time on Chesapeake...we're still alive and kicking, as always! :)
"All that glitters is not gold."

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks Elias :), I'll certainly check that out if I can get in-game on time.

I've actually decided to go with the free trial so I can test the game out before paying. I figure if I get hooked deep enough through the trial, I won't mind spending a little more to upgrade my account accordingly ^^.

Now my only question is - Where can I find the free trial? I tried getting it from the main site but gamespot says "This offer no longer exists" or something along those lines. I didn't get a chance to see if fileplanet had it, since the site is going through maintenance right now, so I figured I'd ask here.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something here lol.

Paidric

Paidric

The Youngherder [HLP]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
Create an account on UO.com, when it comes to the "enter creation code", there is a little free key on top of it looking like "free-kr14-..." or something along those lines.

No need to go through fileplanet anymore.

If you already got the client downloaded, you're done.
"If deathrobes were bank checks... I'd be filthy rich!"

New in Ultima Online? Visit Haven Helpers
Trade at Ingame Auctions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Welcome back to UO and glad you founmd us here at UOForums.

Good Luck with the game Senvilan sounds like you found a UO 'buddy' in Seamstra.

Have lots of fun, and if you have any more questions [ wich I am sure you will] try our Common FAQuestions where a lot of info has been collated to help new/returning players.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Might I also suggest you check out Great Lakes. I think GL is probably one of the busier shards, not as crowded as Atlantic, but more action than some of the other shards. It makes for a nice blend. I even know a few housing plots that are available for affordable starter homes, and I'm not talking a 7X7 either lol. If you want to check it out, let me know, I'll be happy to help you out.

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Thank you for the welcome and the info Tabbitha =). A FAQ is just what I needed.

And thanks for the suggestion jfk. Great lakes sounds like a nice shard too so I'll definitely have to check it out :).

Hopefully I'll have the trial ready by tonight; hope to see you all in-game :).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: call, home, place, player, potential