Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Can anyone think of 1 good reason to have a 5 or 10 sec delay between bod turn-ins?

- - - - - 10 bod delay good reason sec turnins

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Aramicia asked this question on the 8th.

Of course the obvious thing that comes to mind is scripting. But as many people have already stated, scripters will simply put a small fix into their scripts and continue on their merry way. It will just be an annoyance for the player manually turning in bods.

5 or 10 seconds isn't the end of the world, buy why have the extra annoyance for no reason. For the life of me, I can't think of a positive for this change.

Everyone else that sees it the way I do, keep posting as such. Maybe we can get them to get rid of this before it goes live.

~~~~

Sam the Scribe said

A long time ago... in a galaxy far far away...

I pondered why changes were made without prior notice and discussion. We get a little blurb on changes in the current (coming down the pipes no turning back now) patch. If we are really lucky there is a little more info but usually no explanation is offered... UNTIL.. there is a huge outcry on Stratics... etc.

Is it just crazy or selfish of me to expect EA to do the following:

1. List changes at least 2 weeks prior to a publish.
2. Include an explanation for the changes.

The only exceptions I can see would be changes to fix an exploit or bug, which should be implemented ASAP.

Do the dev's at EA really just come up with all this stuff the week before the patch?

Safe Travels, Sam

~~~~

Not to argue with your general idea, but that change was talked about here in November.

E. Jeremy Dalberg
UO Community Coordinator
EA Mythic

~~~~

Lord Choas had this to say

Ok, I must have missed it as well. But again, why? Don't see any purpose of making BOD turn-in more annoying and again introduce a feature that will most likely turn more to use scripts for turn-ins?

I am with the OP and I can't see any positive reason for this change.

~~~~

Quoting Jeremy Sam the Scribe replied

Not to argue with your general idea, but that change was talked about here in November.

Fair enough, but by "talked about here" did you mean you made an announcement about the upcoming change or were the folks on Stratics tossing around ideas?

You see the difference, right?

~~~~

OP came back with

Yes, I agree there was plenty of warning about this change. What there wasn't plenty of though, is people that like this change or think it's a good idea.

~~~~

Agreeing, dsnchanted395 posted

I agree. It's not going to help the average player, nor the game mechanics so why do it? It is simply something they can do to seem like they are fixing issues related to bod timers when in all actuality all they are doing is making an already noticeable problem worse.

~~~~

malice123 linked us to the original post

Blacksmith and Tailoring BOD changes *updated Nov 20th*

~~~~

while Setnaffa pointed out from the linked thread

If you look through that thread, there were many discussions about it. Originally, it was going to be a 10 second delay, but Wilki changed it to 5 seconds after several comments from players. Unfortunately, it appears EA/Mythic went with the 10 second delay.

~~~~

Jeremy posted to tell us

As near as we can tell, Wilki never actually documented or made the 5 second change. I believe Draconi's planning to tweak it in the next publish.

E. Jeremy Dalberg
UO Community Coordinator
EA Mythic

~~~~

As the topic has now reached 9 pages in length,I will end this post with

The post you are referring to was made >>> #7506525 - 11/19/07 06:39 PM

Today is 02/08/2008.

I dont want to have to split hairs over this, there should be some connection between a timely official post and the implementation of the changes.

Also, there seems to be an assumption that everyone reads Stratics. There are many folks that just rely on the information that they are provided with when they start UO. They shouldn't find about changes at the same time they are downloading the patch.

Safe Travels, Sam

~~~~

I will however trawl through the remaining 8 pages and post anything further that is new or interesting.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts

Also, there seems to be an assumption that everyone reads Stratics. There are many folks that just rely on the information that they are provided with when they start UO. They shouldn't find about changes at the same time they are downloading the patch.

No matter how many times people say this, I don't think they're (EA)gonna get it. My family relies on me for UO info, they don't read forums at all, but they do go check out uo.com. Of course, they don't hold any discussions on their website.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I still haven't seen Jeremy acknowledge the reason the delay was added in the first place. Perhaps it's a sleeper trap for BOD scripters?

*hopes*

Although, technically, BODs fall into that 'annoying, duplicative, useless clicking' category for which I am almost tolerant of scripters.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
I don't know what the fuss is... ok, I'm not a heavy crafter, but 5sec seem to be bout the time you need to turn in the bod, get a new bod, look a the new bod, throw it out or keep it, drag the next bod onto the tailor/smith... Anyhow, I'm not complaining, I'm with that.

Blurghh

Blurghh

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Explanation is simple.
Hidden GM's wait with bazookas for scripters to visit the blacksmith.
If a scripter can hand in the bods he has and then immediately recall away then the GM's won't have time to aim.

Any of you ever wondered what that little red dot of light between your eyes is when you turn in your bods?
"Mega ib urk, yuga ib nub urk.
Bud iv yuga ib urk den mega ib mudzj zmardur den yuga!
Hur hur!
(Bud yuga ib nub urk!)"
- Intelligent conversations with Blurghh (2008)

I'm at work and when I'm bored all I can think of is Blurghh (he is the sex)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 10, bod, delay, good, reason, sec, turnins