Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Pre-AoS or Pre-UOR shard.

- - - - - preaos preuor shard

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

tr1nity

tr1nity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I guess if the main reason you played was to attack other characters all the time all that would stink. Some people actually like to roleplay. I would like more D&D style quests where you could actually enter a dungeon for the sake of actually completeing a task rather than just being constantly slammed by tons of monsters...they should add puzzles, hidden clues, artifact adventures....each one set for different levels of player. I don't like that in order to get certain special items that you have to be a GM or better everything to even bother getting involved (insert champion spawn here) for instance. The game would then have objectives along the way that could run in a quest chain that gets harder as the "levels" are completed. By completing certain tasks in certain ways this could open special quests only available to players that completed the previous tasks in the format required to "spawn" the special quests. They could create dungeons, crypts, towers, castles, land areas and such available only to the questing players immersing them in a game all their own in a sense as they work towards its completion. Special characters in towns could be created as clue givers, messengers and such only available to the active questers on a certain, specific quest.... to me these things would make UO better...pvp is fun sure...but adventuring with friends to me is what makes UO worth being a part of.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
I know that Richard Garriott aimed more for making UO a real world rather than EAs goal to sell as much as possible.

Quest in dungons can only really be solved in one way... Instances. Would you like that in UO?

Posted Image

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
It’s not going to happen.

EAMythic has said repeatedly that there will not be an any type of "classic" shard.

For many reasons, including but not limited to the following:

1) They all ready have to maintain 3 rule sets (Fel side, Tram side, Seige/Mugen)

2) During the move out to Redwood, California from Austin, Texas the back up servers with the information on shards before patching/modifications was lost, misplaced or some how deleted. So EAMythic can not replicate earlier shard versions.

3) What would constitute a "classic" shard? For you it seems to be a pre-AoS shard. But others would argue for a shard pre-T2A, some original + T2A, etc. Since people can not agree what is a classic shard; they are not going to risk it.

4) Many people say they want a "classic" shard but fail to realize just how many sub systems and tweaks have been introduced into the game that people would still want even if it was a "classic" shard. For example the various loot tweaks, locking skills/stats (never could lock them at one time), a pre-AoS shard that you wish would have no paladins or necromancers in it. The list can go on, but I think you get the point.

While I agree that it would be an interesting attempt to have a "classic" shard. No amount of petitioning is going to bring you one. Short of you buying EAMythic and imposing your will on them, the chances on a "classic" shard are zero.

Your only option for a "classic" shard is a free/gray/player run shard, and we can not talk about them on this forum.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

tr1nity

tr1nity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well Im not a programmer so I have no idea what kind of programming hurdle it would be to get "adventures" in game of a higher order than the current "kill monsters get loot" adventuring the game currently has but I believe it would be a better game if they pursued the effort.

tr1nity

tr1nity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
oh yeah and as to the "classic" thoughts....I liked it when I could go to almost any city and there were 15-20 players at the banks. I could go to any dungeon and find the same. I could wander in the wilderness and come across other players. I did not like the PK syndrome however as this made your actually meeting other players a trial where running away was usually the wiser choice. I did not like cheaters that used exploits to kill players and take stuff from them. I did not like PK's that hunted blacksmiths, this again made the effort to play very stressful and generally discouraged conversations and meeting others. So as to the "classic" view. It could be that way again if people would just play the game. The way it is now may make it difficult to 1v1, but in the classic UO I can't remember that being the case too often anyway. PK's traveled in packs then too.

tr1nity

tr1nity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry just another "classic" thought. Perhaps the problem is that there aren't as many new players in the game so finding easy marks that your GM PKREdZdA KILLA can toy with at will are practically non-existant. So to get it "classic" we need new players maybe...? Just a few thoughts

Amitus

Amitus

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

2) During the move out to Redwood, California from Austin, Texas the back up servers with the information on shards before patching/modifications was lost, misplaced or some how deleted. So EAMythic can not replicate earlier shard versions.

I hadn't heard this.

3) What would constitute a "classic" shard? For you it seems to be a pre-AoS shard. But others would argue for a shard pre-T2A, some original + T2A, etc. Since people can not agree what is a classic shard; they are not going to risk it.

I believe I mentioned the creation of multiple classic shards, representing multiple eras.

4) Many people say they want a "classic" shard but fail to realize just how many sub systems and tweaks have been introduced into the game that people would still want even if it was a "classic" shard. For example the various loot tweaks, locking skills/stats (never could lock them at one time), a pre-AoS shard that you wish would have no paladins or necromancers in it. The list can go on, but I think you get the point.

?

Your only option for a "classic" shard is a free/gray/player run shard, and we can not talk about them on this forum.

And what a shame!

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Originally Posted by Warsong of LS View Post

Hmm.. guess they delted them:P

But really there are enough data from the old shards out there.. even the original data.

Posted Image

TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico

The Suave One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
What I find odd is how well the owners/developers are able to keep up private run shards. Hell, they aren't even paid. I have said for a long time that EA should be recruiting these people. There are some really great ideas that have been made.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
[quote name='Amitus']I hadn't heard this.

this happened many years ago now, initially OSI, the creators of UO were based in Austin, Texas. Then EA annouced that this studio would close, and moved the entire project to a new complex in Redwood, California. I can not remember who said they lost,misplace, or delete the original back ups (I am thinking it was sunsword maybe, not 100% sure on this, could have been an earlier producer) but basically what happened is they moved the shards that we all play on first and they continued to add patches/fixes to them. And they were suppose the move the back ups a few months later. Well when they got around to moving the back ups, something went wrong (they were etiher lost/deleted during they move), well they needed back ups so EAOSI just made new copies of the current shards and went on from there. thereby according to EAOSI, they do not have any early unpatched copies to draw the original source code from.

I believe I mentioned the creation of multiple classic shards, representing multiple eras.

that is why they refuse to make a classic shard. because your version of classic and mine might differ. They refuse to waste money/resources on new multiple shards without a gaurantee of a return on the investment. Neither you nor I can say if they just made a shard with XXX and YYY on it, 25,000 players would come back.

?

look there were alot of problems/bugs/exploits in the earlier days that you wish to go back too. People would expect these to be fixed in any classic shard. but people would also expect things they have gotten use to from current uo even if they made a classic shard.

for example lets say EAMythic opened a classic shard based on my definition of classic (just UO + the second age) :

there would be no power/stat scrolls
you would not be able to lock you stats/skills - you would ping poing again
you would not have pets - they would not bond and they could not be rezd
there would be no tammel.
there would only be one playable race - human

what I am trying to get at is that there have been improvement/balances/perks added to the game over the years that even if EAMythic created a classic shard these players would still want these features and more added into the classic shard.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

there would be no power/stat scrolls
you would not be able to lock you stats/skills - you would ping poing again
you would not have pets - they would not bond and they could not be rezd
there would be no trammel.
there would only be one playable race - human

All those are good things to me :)

Posted Image

Amitus

Amitus

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

All those are good things to me :)

Seriously.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Seriously.

Yup.. I played a 7xgm char as all those rules were there before. No skills pingponging.. no stats moving..

All felluca was just fine for me.. live in danger makes it real. Even tho i was the guy that killed the others:/

Statsscrolls aint really needed.. *shrugs*

Bonding and training pets.. For me it was never needed. I had a dragon and mare for pure gold farming.. Even tho i got my most gold in other ways...

So yea all those are good to me

Posted Image

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
A pre-AOS shard would definitely be a step in the right direction. I know there are many different settings in this era but it's just a first step.

Amitus

Amitus

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Yup..

There was no question mark after 'Seriously' :P

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Oh...... :new_silly:

Posted Image

Elitz

Elitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
lol, immagine that, people have tried to say there there was no interest in this sort of thing, and ea obviously cant do it if there is no profit seen..... you mean people would actually like somehting that isnt all about items and pretty colors? *sarcastically jumps in amazement*

It would be nice if they would atleast make an attempt, shoot, i would gladly pay twice the monthly fee for a shard like that, and for well over 6 months....:eusa_clap:

kennykilleduo

kennykilleduo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
I vote for a basic shard , no doom , no powerscrolls or even better yet , 3 of the lowest populated shards turned into free to play BASIC shards ( no insurance , doom ,xfers , total free for all )

Endemic

Endemic

zDARIALz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
For me i would enjoy how it was 97 - 99 era, after the beta.. actually i would even enjoy the beta or even pre-alpha! anything but what is there now!

scrap the house customization. i dont like everyone else, think its cute. :P

if they really did open new shards in different era, i would be just as dedicated as i was back when it was live! if not more, i been hungry for UO for years.. but todays (and years past) uo doesnt come close. its not really the same game at all imo

ALwaysultima

ALwaysultima

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My heart bleeds to pay a T2A shard again, where people can't just donate and buy their skills.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: preaos, preuor, shard