Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

A "Classic" UO Shard....which would you prefer?

- - - - - classic prefer shardwhich uo

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Pre AOS, Pre publish 16 (Publish 15), Pre UOR or maybe a hybrid shard?

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
Publish 16 was the good publish I thought. That's the one I would pick. Before AOS but after they changed things like... the control of 12 dozen critters at once as far as taming goes.

Posted Image

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.' - Albert Einstein

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Give me the hybrid!!

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
A hybrid is what we are playing now LOL

Posted Image

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.' - Albert Einstein

Thaelyn

Thaelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Oops.. I voted "Pre-Publish 16", but actually meant that I'd like to see a classic shard around the time of publish 16, and before AoS.
Publish 16 had some good things..

So I should've voted for "pre AOS" or Hybrid, maybe.

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
*nods*
Publish 16 was "the" publish!

Posted Image

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
*feels left out* But from what I hear post pub16 - pre-AOS time was a good time.

Guest_Kohrgan_*

Guest_Kohrgan_*
  • Guests
Not quite sure

Dragonreborn_KmR

Dragonreborn_KmR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
:grin: Back to when there was no such thing as a power scroll.....and a tram:grin:

Posted Image

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

Stop staring at my daishos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Pre-AoS meaning pub 16 for me too. Not that I ever played any publishes older than that one, hehe. But it all seemed to work nicely back then.

I don't have any major issues with the current situation either though. Except maybe the whole economy problem thing with items never going away and crafters being useless.

Posted Image

Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests
Pre pub 16

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
Cobra did you play pre publish 16?

I think there's some folks voting without even knowing what was in publish 16.

Posted Image

Guest_Kohrgan_*

Guest_Kohrgan_*
  • Guests

Pre-AoS meaning pub 16 for me too. Not that I ever played any publishes older than that one, hehe. But it all seemed to work nicely back then.

I don't have any major issues with the current situation either though. Except maybe the whole economy problem thing with items never going away and crafters being useless.

No arguments from me on that one...you'd think that a smith is good for maore than making bone machete's.

HarvestGod

HarvestGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

:grin: Back to when there was no such thing as a power scroll.....and a tram:grin:

i agree.. power scrolls... pfft. whatever.

Thaelyn

Thaelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Or made the mistake, like I did... voting "pre-pub 16" but meaning a shard with pub16 rules, before AOS. :embarasse *slaps forehead* :laugh:

Except for my flub, I'm surprised to see so many votes for pre publish 16! I honestly can't think of anything bad that was brought about by publish 16..

I can understand people voting for pre-UOR (although it's not a choice I'd vote for), but I can't think of anything special about the time between "the split" and before publish 16 that would make me want to play on a shard with that ruleset.

But, maybe I'm only remembering the good things about pub16, and not the bad things? (where there any bad things? I haven't seen any reasons posted)

Dealin'Burgers69

Dealin'Burgers69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
My vote goes for Pre-Renaissance.

If I play a classic ruleset shard, I want it to be entirely Felucca, where the element of danger was everywhere when you stepped outside of town. Remember when you would step outside the guard zone and see the old message "You have left the protection of Lord British's guards" (or something like that..), that was when leaving the guard zone and seeing that message actually meant something!! I want risk vs. reward back in my UO. I want a world where there was an intricate balance between chaos and order, where people could police themselves. I want to be able to go to town and see people walking around, talking, and making new friends, and emeies as well. Skills are more important to UO than items and power scrolls, and a classic shard can let us have back UO the way it was meant to be played.

One landmass would be best. Just give me the original lands of Sosaria, and possibly T2A. That is more than enough land to play on. Ilsh, Malas, and Tokuno (as well as the Trammel facet) has spread the population waaaaay to thin across the lands. It would be best to concentrate every one onto facet, where we can interact and mingle, and not find empty ghost towns and empty dungeons.

A classic ruleset server could be a blessing in disguise for EA. If only they would actually make a decision and work toward it and get the ball rolling...

Guest_Luis_*

Guest_Luis_*
  • Guests

My vote goes for Pre-Renaissance.

If I play a classic ruleset shard, I want it to be entirely Felucca, where the element of danger was everywhere when you stepped outside of town. Remember when you would step outside the guard zone and see the old message "You have left the protection of Lord British's guards" (or something like that..), that was when leaving the guard zone and seeing that message actually meant something!! I want risk vs. reward back in my UO. I want a world where there was an intricate balance between chaos and order, where people could police themselves. I want to be able to go to town and see people walking around, talking, and making new friends, and emeies as well. Skills are more important to UO than items and power scrolls, and a classic shard can let us have back UO the way it was meant to be played.

*applaudes* *tear*

Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Cobra did you play pre publish 16?

Aye I did play pre pub 16 :) I got the game like not long before pub 16 was planned. Maybe 3-4 months pre pub 16. And I loved every second of it.

Santi

Santi

El Mero Mero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
I never paid that much attention to the pubs or anything..just updated the game because I wasn't in the mood to leave UO. I would rather be in a UO world that was like what DealinBurgers mentioned. I would like for my smith to be useful again...I remember GM Armor was the bomb...now, not the case. I liked going mining and staying awake, because you could be attacked and had to have your wits about you...now when I mine I fall asleep. I guess I just want to hear myself have tantrums at my computer again. I like the good ol days when I first started playing. It wasn't so bad.

AW

AW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Renaissance or Trammel was the first major change opposite of the original spirit of what it meant to play Ultima Online, therefore, there is no better choice than Pre-Renaissance or "pre-UOR."

That was a time when skills were important, crafters were important, and most importantly, friends were important.

Though I can understand why Pre-AOS could be a more popular choice currently; there are not many of us old players left after all the expansions and changes that have taken place since Renaissance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, prefer, shardwhich, uo