Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Idea for replacing undesireable BOD rewards (long)

- - - - - bod idea long replacing rewards undesireable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I originally planned to post this on Stratics. However, the convergence of the birth of my first child and the lack of availability of Stratics where I work means UOForums gets to hear my opinion =P

Concept: Resource rewards as part of a reworked BOD system

Discussion: Arguably, the stretched hides, tapestries and bear rugs have proliferated to the point where they are essentially worthless. Similarly, 5/10/15 powerscrolls and many of the cloth or smith tool rewards are equally undesirable. I suggest retirement of most of those items – WITHOUT changing the current distribution percentages.

New crafting reward items: Talismans of [Special Resource] Summoning; Charges: 10(20?); unrechargable; possibly include crafting and crafting exceptional bonuses appropriate to rarity of the item.

Yes – there is the little problem of boards as a reward for smiths or tailors. I’m conveniently ignoring that for the moment.

Each activation of the talisman is good for 10 colored resources. I don’t think 100 (200?) special boards are going to break the market for frostwood. With randomization, a consistent (if low-volume) source of higher-end resources will likely come as a relief to more crafters. The high-end boards in particular will appeal to players who need them for crafting and will have secondary market value for Cooperative Collection contributors.

A more complex implementation of this system could allow for randomization of charges within unbroken limits; allow for randomization of resource types (ingots, wood, leather) within tiers (i.e. a talisman might have a chance to spawn as DC/Shadow/Copper, Spined, or Oak, you wouldn’t have reward tiers where valorite talismans could spawn near low-end rewards). Since leather is linked to creature types, leather might not be needed.

A simpler implementation would allow you to exchange existing reward deeds for the new rewards with NPCs, a la tokuno treasures, but random.

Alternative:

Same as above, except the talismans work once each 24 hour period. The talismans can be ‘installed’ into another (new BOD reward) container (trophy case?) that activates them once each day (think bandage fountain). Create up to 3 containers, one each for tailoring, smithing, carpentry talismans; only the appropriate talisman can go in each trophy case, and only one of each type of talisman can be put in the trophy case before it wears out. Emphasize that talismans must be non-rechargeable for this to be balanced. This generates a constant market for the items and the resources should appeal to a wide player base.

Way longer than I expected. :o If you’re still reading this, there is an IDOC in Sonoma Luna you might want to check out.

Kidding. :laugh:

Thoughts?

~M

I reserve the right to retract part or all of this suggestion, depending on the outcome of the upcoming Runic changes. heh.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
No one has any thoughts on this, one way or another? I thought I'd get at least *some* hate mail!

:/

Pennywise

Pennywise

Crumbpicker, dat der Renaissance Manz of da Werlds!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
Right now I am kinda happy with the rewards I am getting working BODs.

So, can't say I want anything to change just yet.

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

No one has any thoughts on this, one way or another? I thought I'd get at least *some* hate mail!

:/

hehe, no, no, no Hate mail on these forums... We are all a melo group of ppl here... It takes me a day or two to Digest what your post involves... So, here I am... hehe...

Although I think your idea is a novel one, I would NOT support such a change... to souly increase the amount of Boards I receive...

Who uses Boards anyways? Fletchers to make bows? Carpenters to make furnature? Who else uses Wood? I guess "random" resources realy nerfed woods, well duh.... anybody could have told them that...

Dude, I stopped doing BoDs about 3-4 yrs ago... maybe that's why theres NO interest in this subject...

The best idea I've seen for BoD improvement was posted a while ago, by someone I don't recall... It suggested that each BoD have a point value set to it... Reg 10s=10 points, exceptional is 50% more points... That way all the player does is do the BoDs and tailly up points... after awhile, they decide to use their points to claim a prize... Then they just open a prize gump and claim any prize they have points for... Val hammer=10,000 pts, BRK=10,000 pts, etc...

IMO, BoDs, Crafting and resource gathering are the most crippled systems, I have ever seen in any game...

IMO...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bod, idea, long, replacing, rewards, undesireable