Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Top PvP Templates?

- - - - - pvp templates top

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Guest_Cyrese_*

Guest_Cyrese_*
  • Guests
Ok so just got back to uo and decided to play a necro/mage, and decided on this build...

Mage
fence
eval
resist spells
SS
Nec
some med if possible

What should i be getting these skills to and what stat setup should i use with a +25 stat scroll. Thanks!

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
Higher med and less MR since the latest patch. Anything over 10MR with 40LMC and 100ish Med is overkill.

120 Mage/Eval/Resist/SS
115Med
105 Necro

Can dump the last 20 + any other acc. skill points into something like SW (attunement is worth it alone!).

Higher the resist the better... but I play with 115 resist and it's fine unless I'm mage dueling.

Pointless having a weapon skill w/o tactics anymore. Better off using Staff or Swords of Prosp for weaponskill related DCI. Or adjust those stats to fit in Wrestling and use the scrappers or clanin's to help offset an uber suit.

Stats are high health and mana with just enough stam to not get stam blocked by any hit or pain spike.

That temp depends alot on suit. You can use items to help dump points into other skills if need be... like the SS totem that gives +15 skills (but lose LMC w/o totem of void)...using a scrappers gives you the ability to bump up mage related skills as well as using jewelry with lower fc/fcr and more stats/skills. Skip the orni and use leet bracelet and ring combo to squeeze in more skills and stats.

Boy I ramble alot... =)
Posted Image

Phix

Phix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Tactics is needed for weapon specials. Instead of fencing you can go wrestling and still have specials (harder to get off now that a spell un-ques the special).

100 med is very nice and almost needed now. I also run 50 chiv so that I can devine fury and if Karma permits, cure/remove curse.

To truly understand something, change it.

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
chiv won't work well for this temp because a) it's nerfed with over70 magery and B) unless you plan on regaining your karma every hour... you cant remove curse. heal and cure are covered with both mage and necro as well as mortal.

I highly recommend wrestle because w/o tactics... you won't find a weapon that compares to a good spellbook or scrappers. Unless of course you go mage weap... but that's a whole nother story (and suit!)
Posted Image

Phix

Phix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Divine fury is worth the 50ish points you put into chiv =) Ever have a couple necros pain spike spam you in a field fight? Either that or 5ish stam regen.

There is also nothing wrong with gaining karma. If you are at a spawn your karma will sky rocket...where most pvp counts :>

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
He is going to have necro. He will lose karma alot faster than he builds it up.

Divine fury is nice, I agree, but I'd rather set a macro to disarm and chug for those rare occassions rather than dump the skill into it on a tight template like this. Now if you didn't want magery it's well worth going 4/6 chiv with necro.
Posted Image

Macdaddy

Macdaddy

Trustworthy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Dont argue I have had necros that at all times are lords or glory lords not too hard and if you do that ever night dont matter at all with karma and such
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
no way. I have a necro chiv dexxer just for the purpose of healing (which is still better and faster than a mini heal w/o karma.. but worthless w/o 4/6 ie w/ mage).

Me, and every other necro chiv pvper in my guild, would need to park at evil mages throughout the day to gain any kind of karma. After one spawn or an hour at the gate... karma would be back down again.

Unless you are using your weapon skill and magery for the spawn, you're gonna lose karma alot faster than you gain it from rats. Rikky is probably better for the karma however you are going to lose TONS of karma to 1st and 2nd level if you use necro for the spawn (its stupid not to with the power of wither vs. spawn).

It is an uphill battle and there are about a handful of PKs on my shard that are willing to monitor their karma for the sake of remove curse.

IMO it's not worth the trade off wtih mage. If you are a good mage you dont' need chiv to heal. Mage heals are all you need and SS is that added bonus for mortalers. Why waste the skill points that you absolutely need on this template... as well as making magery worthless to have. Another thing to keep in mind is that the amount you heal is based off your magery. At 70 Magery (or is it 69.9?) you are going to have serious trouble explo and FSing people. In pvp a fizzle from anything other than a disrupt is a bad thing. You're going to heal crap amounts of damage. You can't rez unless your suit incorporates a magery bonus or you swap jewels or book.

IMO it is a toss up. If you want chiv, forget magery. If you want magery, forget chiv. The only bonus to chiv is remove curse (which you will need to monitor and improve), holy light if you're high enough, and divine fury. Remove curse with apples, divine fury with pots, screw holy light you've got fields and area spells. I find magery alot more beneifical to have on that template than chiv and no decent player should need 3 concrete methods of healing plus the ability to chug to stay alive. With mage and SS, and the bonus of pots if you choose - I'd say your defense is covered, work on your offense. I've yet to see a straight necro (no mage) that is effective against a mage template.
Posted Image

Phix

Phix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
At this point I would have to say that this disagreement is purely opinion based. While you dont like working your karma and feel that 50-65 points in chiv is a waist for a mage/necro, I however only seem to fight necro using characters and LOVE remove curse and devine fury since I dont run any stamina regen.

necro/mage A: casts curse + strangle + corpse skin
necro/mage Phix: casts curse + strangle + corpse + remove curse
necro/mage A: starts to run and heal
necro/mage Phix: begins to pummel

=) I would say the 50-65 points in chiv were well worth the points.

I don't run with a fighting skill and that might be why I have the points to do this. To me chiv is much more benificial than poison or even inscribe with a mage/necro due to the ability to fight other necros (we all know necro is the most popular build).

I do understand the apples and the pots. Apples have a downtime and while down, you can and will get necroed. You can also achieve a 4/6 chiv mage necro with 69 magery I do believe.

EDIT: 5/10 necro/ss totem is nice for the 15 points, run 100 med instead of 115...that is 30 extra points. 50 chiv more if you lower your med.

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
Yes I thought that I said itwas my opinion. I fight alot of necros as well and strangle - albeit annoying - is something that can be healed thru and removed in other methods. If you want to play with magery tho - 69.9 is not enough and the spells you can cast are more or less for disruption purposes only. You also have NO way to rez other players. If you go full magery - then you only have 2/6 casting and if you are fighting a good necro there is no way in hell you should get a remove curse off w/ 2/6 casting fighting any kind of mage or necro.

If chiv was not nerfed for mages then I would 100% agree with you that it is a great defense to have. However, it is worthless wtih magery, and uses up points that could be used and much needed else where in this particular template. I still stand by my statement of having to pick one or the other. If you go chiv, drop magery. If you go magery, drop chiv. You don't *need* the points in chiv.
Posted Image

Phix

Phix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
useless? No offense but I have already proven its USES. I have gotten countless remove curses off against very very good necros. Since I am a necro myself, they are fizzling as much as myself. 69 magery is very low, and honestly some of the strongest templates cannot res. IE: 4/6 chiv/poison/dexer (cant res reds). Where would you be putting these extra 50 or so points you are speaking of?

The only real choice is A) drop your med to 50 and get inscribe or B) drop your med to 80 and pick up 80 poisoning. Dropping med to 50 is almost not an option unless you are only field fighting with groups of people, since the change to MR and med.

"120 Mage/Eval/Resist/SS
115Med
105 Necro"

120 mage/eval
100 Necro + totem = 105
110 Spirit + totem = 120
115 resist
100 med

= 50ish points left. What can you put 50 points in?

The template I listed above was a comparison to yours. It is the SAME template except I have chiv, and you have LESS points to deal with. You could even hit 100 med and 80 poisoning if you used a necro ring/brace and midnight bracers. That usually isnt an option, but viable none the less. At this point I would ask: What exactly would you do with your valueble points instead of put 50 of them in chiv? I can't really think of anything 50 points into would boost a character as much as chiv. No offense but you argue how chiv is worthless to a necro/mage, yet you post a 6 skill template that isnt all 120s without a 7th skill. Tracking maybe =P FYI if your human, you get 20 all skills anyways, so 20 left over points is absolutely worthless.

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
As my first post stated - there are extra points left, and many items (scrappers, jewels, totem) you could use to squeeze out more points. I suggested Spellweaving to use the additional skills as none of the spellweaving spells are available elsewhere in the game. I also said (seeing as this template has veered from the OPs original temp) that the points could be used in other ways for whatever skill he wanted. I am in no way telling anyone what to play, but I am laying down the facts about why one is less desirable than the other.

Those *strongest* templates you refer to are the hero templates. Any template that is unable to rez is worthless in pvp IMO. That is solo template and not a team template. A chiv poison dexxer being the strongest temp is a matter of opinion only. Much as this entire debate is. I, and most pvpers that I know, would debate that a good mage is the strongest template available as there is no other skill in the game that gives you the same amount of offensive and defensive spells, and the same amount of opportunities to evolve depending on the situation. A chiv dexxer does what..... CW DP AI AI DP? And if it is a mage what do you think the mage is gonna do after he disarms and para blows you? Anything he wants...

69 magery is W O R T H L E S S. Put aside the amount of spells you will fail regularly and you are still left with greater heals healing like 15 dmg. Are you going to manage to stay within one tile of everyone on the screen to be able to throw a close wounds on anyone who needs it? You cannot use any of the larger spells 4th circle and up - no explo, no fs, no EVs, hell you can even fizzle lightning. So then the question becomes - why do you have magery? For the ability to magic arrow and weaken and harm for disrupt purposes only? Or you can keep magery at 115 or 120 and have 2/6 chiv which is now slower than the heals and cures you have with magery. It gives you the ability to divine fury and remove curse provided your karma is high enough. Both of these are readily available with pots - and partly bypassable with SS.

My recommendation of SW is based off a defensive and offensive stance. It's a very underrated skill that proves it's worth in both solo fighting and group fighting. At 50 or so SW you have the ability to
cast gift of life (which can last for like 15 mins - ie when you die you can insta rez).
You can cast gift of renewal, which heals you (in fairly large/fast quanities) for up to about 4 minutes at a time (time from the spell is cast w/o using any additional mana).
You can cast attunement (the BEST sw spell) which gives you the ability to absorb ALL damage from a weapon for up to a certain amount of damage (take no damage from 5 chain concs? yes please!).
You can cast thunderstorm which slows fcr and SSI for opponents within a certain distance as well as revealing anyone hidden and doing on average 5-10 damage to all on screen (amazing in group fights).
You can charm creatures such as OLs and artic OLs to follow you around and guard you which is amazing for group pvp/choke point fighting/ raiding and even spawning.
You can cast arcane impowerment which makes every one of the above spells alot more powerful and makes them last alot longer.
You can cast emoliating weapon which is similar to consecrate weapon if you are a dexxer and does something or another with fire (I have never had a sw dexxer so I don't know what it does)
You can cast pixies and have 4 pixies absolutely TEAR people apart.

There are alot of spells that are of HUGE impact for both defensive and offensive pvp.. there is no other skill in the game that gives you anything remotely close to the SW spells. It also works very well with magery and necro. There are more spells that you can cast at that level but those are some of the major ones.

And if you're a big feild fighter... you can raise that to about 80 and Wind/wildfire and cause absolute distruction to everything around you.

I stand by my statement that chiv is worthless on a mage. You can only be effective with one or the other (hence why it was nerfed). You are not a mage in any sense with 69 skill. Chiv is no where near as powerful or potent at 2/6. So take your choice.
Posted Image

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
inscribe is useless at 50 - you only get 10sdi at GM.

with 50 med on a necro mage - you're just going to struggle with mana way too much regardless of how much MR you have.
Posted Image

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

The template I listed above was a comparison to yours. It is the SAME template except I have chiv

That is not the same template as you have modified the skill points. Similar, yes, same, no. There are alot more points that can be squeezed out from other things such as the totem, as I originally mentioned, scrappers (which would require wreslting or loss of dci), jewelry, items. However all of this then effects the suit balance and attainability. Suit vs. Skills needs to be effective and realistic, which would also sway his template.

No offense but you argue how chiv is worthless to a necro/mage, yet you post a 6 skill template that isnt all 120s without a 7th skill.

No offense taken as you are obviously not comprehending. My first response posted the above skill listing which equate to 700 skill points. I also stated that you could dump 20 points into a side skill like SW or use items such as the totem and scrappers to bring you even higher. How do you know what race he is? How do you know what items he is using? Could you not read that I stated there are many ways to squeeze more points out to add to that 20 left over? The points are thre for him to 120 himself out but it's not necessary. You do not need to be 120'd out in everything (or anything) to be effective and in this particular case it's pretty silly. The only reason to go to 120 necro would be to never fail revs. At 105 (the point where most people stop) gives you 100% on all other spells including strangle. The skill points are there for him to take each to 120 if he chooses. I also stated that using that template would leave him w/o a weapon skill and he would need to use Staff or Swords of props for the weapons dci. And how does one mathematically take 7 x 120 each and come out with 720? Did you take your chiv all the way up to 120 ...just because it wouldn't be a template if you weren't 120'd out? Or are all of yoru skills locked at GM - so that you have your 7th skill? There is a reason skills and stats are flexable and teired.

You have to be a really horrible mage or necro if strangle is enough to kill you. Strangle does not equal certain doom. It's an annoying little disruption but there is PLENTY of time to mini heal back to full life between ticks (find me an average player who can disrupt a miniheal). Being able to remove it is nice because it really is annoying as hell (especially when trying to mount - UGH!)... but strangle won't kill you unless you were already dying anyway. If you have magery AND necro - well you should be extremely lethal. Mortal is the real threat and that would be what pushes me towards chivalry's remove curse - however with Spirit Speak it is faster and more beneficial to SS thru a mortal than to try to remove (and possibly fail) the mortal.
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I just have to ask Oh Maja!, how do you have all this PvP knowledge and hide it from Snuggs?

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
I tried to get her and my other sister to play Chessy with me so I could teach them but they both screamed so lout about the PK coming towards them (that was me) that I decided, for my own hearing, it may be a bad choice :P
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

I tried to get her and my other sister to play Chessy with me so I could teach them but they both screamed so lout about the PK coming towards them (that was me) that I decided, for my own hearing, it may be a bad choice :P

:Rofl

With that sense of humor, I don't see how Snuggs could say all those horrible things about you... :X

hehe, j/k

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
no your not, i know her too well... *shifty eyes*

well enough to know I could kick her ass so it's ok. =)
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

no your not, i know her too well... *shifty eyes*

well enough to know I could kick her ass so it's ok. =)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ooohh, catfight!

*grabs camcorder*

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Oh Maja!

Oh Maja!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
It's just Maja... someone had already taken Maja as the screen name :<

WONDER WHO THAT COULD HAVE BEEN?!? :cwm21:

=)
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pvp, templates, top