Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Limiting Item Insurance, good idea? bad idea?

- - - - - bad good idea insurance item limiting

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Minotaur2k

Minotaur2k

Meow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

What would you guys think of if we just took insurance and dramatically limited the number of things you can have insured?

Assign points to items - limit the number of points a character may insure for - (possibly this grows the number of years you played UO)- Powerful relics taking up more points to insure where a NOOB might be able to insure all their mediocre junk that is still important to them.

I know a lot of folks want to just wad it up and chuck it all (me for one) but its all going under consideration. The last thing any DEV wants to do is to pull a bad StarWarsGalaxy DOH! tweak like they did ya know.

CatHat

"It has the graceful ergonomics and charm of a Klingon Battle Cruiser."

I figured Cathat for a Green myself....

This was posted on the Stratics Forums in this thread.

I already posted my thoughts in that thread, but I will just repost them here. But what do you all think about this idea?

Sounds like a great idea.

But things like blessed items should take up slightly more "slots".
As for the account age deal. I don't think thats a good idea really. Main reason is because we already have Ethys, I know they got the Steed with pre ordered 8th age(I can't remember the name of it right now). But if you did do it based on account age then anyone who PvP basically needs to have a very old account.
Perhaps make it based on a virtue? Everyone starts at 3 slots, Spirituallity/Humility would raise the number of slots based on your level.
Seeker-4 Slots total
Follower-5 Slots total
Knight-7 Slots total
You would gain Spirituallity/Humility threw healing and rezzing people/pets. Those people would go on a list of say 20 people, so this basically means you can not gain off the same person before you heal/rez twenty other people/pets.
NPCs will be exempt from this, so you could not simply macro this in the jhelom pits.
This is obviously a rough idea. I am concerned about those who do not have the ability to heal/rez people, so basically characters with only Spirit Speak. Perhaps make Spirit Speak a Target based skill?

Insured Items-1 Slot
Blessed Items-2 Slots
Personally Blessed Items-2 Slots

Right now you can currently equip a max of 13 items that are insurable/blessable. So this would limit those a lot.
Some of the items however do not have any properties on them, so perhaps ones like that should be exempt from the slots?
Items like Earrings, Sashes, Clothing. Perhaps even robes? Since Vet Rewards are just that vet rewards. Very difficult to balance.

This would also help thieves since everyone could not insure everything they wear.

So Red Characters would be severly limited in item insurance? Well there does have to be a punishment for killing people. At least its not skill loss.

I always saw myself in Red lol.

*sigh* I just can't spell.
There are no stupid questions......only stupid people!

Celsius

Celsius

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
I like your idea....my only problem would be trying to find that many people to rez all the time. Would it decay then also? And how closely would need to watch what lvl you are at...no pay attention and discover one of your things are missing later, that became uninsured.
It will be interesting what they decide to do with insurance.

Minotaur2k

Minotaur2k

Meow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
Well I went threw about 100 regs today G healing and Rezzing people at Swoop(taming Cu Sidhes), also Champ Spawns. PvP. Peerless, DOOM. Destards another good place.
Any place you find people hunting usually you can find someone needing a heal or a rez. As for watching it. Decay happens once a week. It usually decays 1 dot. Since you have 2 dots above knight, you should be ok.

yup it will be interesting to see.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Insurance can have many different adjustmants. I for one would like to see a rise in cost per item based on value. Minor arties off the bat add an extra 1k, reg arties add 5k. The rest is based off of stats/mods and intensity.

The "blessed items for those that rez people" idea is not good. <-- period.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
No. No. and No. I dont really care how much stuff people insure. I personally enjoy when I pvp someone who carries 2 suits and stuff like that. There is a guild over here that insures pots and bandaids... Its nice to see something like 7800 has been deposited into your bank.

I just dont see it as a problem. if anything, make it like 1k to insure something. Then people may not insure as much or carry as much..

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
I honestly don't know what the right answer is here. I was born and raised in Felucca when The Second Age was released. I remember when you started with 100 gold and when you lost that precious set of GM armor, you went home with your head hung down knowing you'd spend the better part of a day trying to make enough gold to buy a new set. I miss those days. I think it would be wonderful if the Devs would put some type of limitation on insurance, but I also want them to bring back the usefulness of GM crafted armor. As it stands now, you don't need to ever lose a set of armor or your favorite weapons which is great in a way, but doesn't that take away some of the thrill too? I personally wouldn't mind limitations to insurance, it would just force me to put more thought into the situations I get myself into in game.
Posted Image

Talon

Talon

Offical Cookie Taster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I think that something has to be done just to get more work for the crafters in the game so taking insurance off of some items will help :)
Posted Image

Keven1

Keven1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I completely dissaggree. I have worked my butt off and earned everything I have. So why should I be punished by not being able to wear the stuff I spent my time and gold on. Why should I not get more for being an old veteran? At a job u get seniority and extra benefits for being there longer than say someone that just started. This is just the tip of th iceburg, that I would have to say about no insurance and limiting items
Though I do agree something needs to be done more for the crafter. Some has been done thru ML but I think more could be done

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Kevin, I couldnt agree with you more. I know alot of people have spent alot of time building and collecting the items they have. I know people hate that its an item based game, but so what. Its fun, and its a GAME... If people want that thrill of no safety net, then they make a character on Seige and go gun ho there.

I know that collecting the stuff I have over the years and not being able to use it cause some exploiter or scripter is gonna cheat and yank it from you. They will figure out a way. The game is FULL of cheaters who probably have already figured out a way to do it, just waiting for it to happen someday..

I think that for smithing, they seriously need to change the way the metals work, just like the wood. How many of you have found a sweet sword but it just doesnt have enough swing or hci, and would like to try to enhance it, where it would actually mean a crap. Not just splitting up the damage output type, or giving 40 luck to it.. Or say Valorite would add stuff other than resists, say hp regen or something along those lines. Same as tailors. make the leathers mean something..

Thaelyn

Thaelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Haha.. I liked the Star Wars Galaxies reference. The recent game changes there are what caused me to cancel permanently and return to Ultima Online.

I don't like the idea to get rid of insurance, even if it would save me lots of money. (I die a lot, and that's where my gold goes). I guess I could live with it if they limited it.

But, besides crafting, I'm not sure how insurance hurts the game. In fact, it puts money into the pockets of Reds or Pvpers that kill insured players. It brings back (even if in small amounts) people to Fel who wouldn't otherwise go because they don't like thieves or getting looted by other players.

As far as Trammel, I don't see how it affects players there. Some say it hurts crafters, but who wants GM crafted items? (I should know, I don't even play my crafter anymore, even to make stuff for myself. Just the random enhancement)

The real problem is that crafting needs to be improved. Make GM weapons and armor worth something. Add better properties to enhancing with ingots, rather than just boosting resists. (like thatdudenamedbo mentioned).
Maybe add the new gem types into the crafting menu, so that we can select one type to use a certain type (or none) and have each gem type add fixed properties.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Tact or Wilki already stated that enhancements for leather and metal will be looked at (adding properties other than just elemental damage/resist). I still think that amount of insurance based off of item value (properties/intensities/arties) should be implemented or even looked at (haven't heard a lick from anyone suggesting it) because there you WILL have risk vs reward. Does it make any sense that a new character with that perfect katana with 5ssi and 10di insured for 600 cost the same as the blade of insanity insured?

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
As far as I'm concerned they can remove insurance completely. Just let everything stay on your ghost so you have it when you rez. There is no reason for people wanting to get your stuff off your corpse and no reason for death to cost money. They could just make your armor take extra damage upon death. (sounds almost like WoW death.....)

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Thaelyn

Thaelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
As for blessed items.. cathat didn't mention that, but I wouldn't want it to change or take insurance slot points.

Who wants to permanently lose their hooded robes, or AoS cloaks/robes and sandals? And how would that benefit the game? There aren't that many blessed items to make it much of an issue. Not to mention spellbooks and runebooks should stay put.

I'm still mostly against removing item insurance or adding the points system. But if it only affected weapons and rings, I wouldn't mind as much. That's the only "problem" with insurance that I can see, is that it sometimes causes players to rely more on items than skill.

If they do make changes, my suggestion would be:
-- leave armor and clothing insurance alone (running naked through the woods at 1hp after getting a rez from a wandering healer was never really fun, and usually resulted in another death on the way back to your corpse)
-- don't changed blessed items
-- maybe have point limits only for weapon and jewelry insurance, with higher cost based on the power of the item.

Although that would mostly affects warrior types more than mages, etc. So, I'm still undecided. :huh:

PeerlessKiller

PeerlessKiller

Got Peerless?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I think whoever thought of that idea is INSANE! What would happen if that person got killed by REDS and looses all his/her stuff and then come back and post to go back to the way the insurance are now...

Gala

Gala

I Poke Dots

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
they change anything to do with insurance im not moveing outside of towns because of the amount of stuff i lost before insurance, yes that is in tram.

i like insurance, if they get rid of/change it i sure aint gonna pvp anymore.

Posted Image

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
I think insurance brought more people to fel. If they know they won't lose their things if they die, they don't get quite so worked up.

Lady Shiela

Lady Shiela

Darksaber's Baby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Well..i think reducin amount of items insured at once is a good idea for the thieves, but i think takin it away would also cause UO to loose people.I liek the WoW idea..where dying just hurts the armor. I dont think you should loose items when body decays..just cause you cant get rezd in time. And personaly i dont think others should be able to loot you..unless you go into fel and i think there should be a timer that the killer has to wait to loot.

Kreegan

Kreegan

Proud Member Of...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Crafting does need a major overhaul in a lot of areas...hopefully, that'll happen.

Dealin'Burgers69

Dealin'Burgers69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Limiting insurance is good.

Not much to say on this topic except that if insurance is finally taken away, then crafting will become viable, and there will be an actual flow of money between players, of buying goods from each other. Not a stagnant economy that we have now where items don't decay. I mean come on, stuff has to break down and fall apart some day! I remember having to repair my shields and armor pre-AOS because of the battles I got into so much, but the more I repaired the armor, the less durability it had, thus creating a need for more equipment from player run vendors.

Get rid of insurance, and you will see commerce between players again.

Minotaur2k

Minotaur2k

Meow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
Actually I came up with kind of a secondary idea with this one.
Don't limit item insurance. Just limit the number of items you can wear that are insured/blessed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bad, good, idea, insurance, item, limiting