Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

I would fix the economy and here is how..

- - - - - economy fix

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Probably just me, but I didn't mind at all that veteren players "had an upperhand" (so-to-say) because they have items I won't be able to obtain. They've been playing for days/months/years before I even set foot in game, why should I be able to get to "veteren" status in a matter of days/weeks?

If UO were a single player game, then there would be no reason why someone that has been playing longer can have stuff I can't get. But UO isn't a single player game, it's a MMO.

I don't see how veterens having items (even if a new player can't get them) "works over" newer players.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

I don't see how veterens having items (even if a new player can't get them) "works over" newer players.

I actually kind of agree with you. However, I also feel that the MMORPGs have shifted towards item based games. UO has become an item based game. In an item based game all items should be obtainable via normal game play imo. At the same time, I really don't want to allocate taking away veteran rewards. I actually think that adding the charger of the fallen was pretty much a cure to most of the unbalancing issues in the veteran system. So was adding the other mounts that were obtainable via peerless monsters, so I guess in the end I should just admit a degree of error.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

I actually kind of agree with you. However, I also feel that the MMORPGs have shifted towards item based games. UO has become an item based game. In an item based game all items should be obtainable via normal game play imo. At the same time, I really don't want to allocate taking away veteran rewards. I actually think that adding the charger of the fallen was pretty much a cure to most of the unbalancing issues in the veteran system. So was adding the other mounts that were obtainable via peerless monsters, so I guess in the end I should just admit a degree of error.

Aye, I agree the mount issue was fixed and probably one of the only things I felt "left out" of as a new player.

To get a little back on topic of the economy, I didn't say it before because I know a good portion of people don't agree, but I think if items could decay/break, it'd fix some of the economy. As it is now, people don't really have a reason to spend their gold, once a suit is made, it's set, for years. Make items decay/break, it gives more insentive to spend gold.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

To get a little back on topic of the economy, I didn't say it before because I know a good portion of people don't agree, but I think if items could decay/break, it'd fix some of the economy. As it is now, people don't really have a reason to spend their gold, once a suit is made, it's set, for years. Make items decay/break, it gives more insentive to spend gold.

I LOVE THIS IDEA! I would like to have a reason to add an influx of new items into the game. However, on a side note, if the items decayed and breaked then the replacement items have to be readily obtainable.

If the items are not readily obtainable then they should not be able to break. So, if the current items could break then you better believe that I would have an even greater issue with not being able to get items like Tokuno Artifacts in game.

Along those same lines, they really need to make it much easier to build suits by readjusting the magical items and improving the crafting systems. Some items (decent crafted armor/weapons and decent magical rings/bracelets) are almost impossible to replace.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
*nods*

Yeah, if items do decay/break, they'd have to do one of two things, either make equivelant items a little easily obtainable OR change some game mechanics to make it easier to take down mobs/players with lower end gear.

I don't see them changing things to make it easier to take down mobs/players with lower end gear, so they'd have to make equivelant items a little easier to get.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Elffin

Elffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Personally i do not think there is a fix for UO's economy, it has got to the state it is over the last 10 years, no fix will please everybody. Also, somebody said earlier that vet players sell items for 3 - 4x what they are worth, nobody forces people to pay those prices, if i want something and i want it quite badly, then it is worth more to me than maybe somebody who wants it but is willing to wait a while and maybe find it cheaper on another vendor / site. People will only pay what a item is worth to them. When i first started playing UO 7years ago i had nothing, i used Ebay and sites like RPG/Cybernickle and others to fund my habit, nowadays i fill bods, fish a lot, and do other things to bring money to my characters, Everybody is at different levels, sometimes i think nothing of dropping 200 - 300k on a somebody who is obviously a new player, other times i struggle to find insurance for my chars. The game will go on, we will continue to have this discussion, but UO's economy will not be fixed anytime soon.

Elf.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Also, somebody said earlier that vet players sell items for 3 - 4x what they are worth,

I never meant to imply that about all veteran players or about all items. Its not a blanket statement. It was said in the context of Tokuno Artifacts and it does kind of hold in that context but they are beginning to drop in price as are Doom artifacts.

Honestly, I don't think the UO economy is broken. The economy still allows most players to work to get what they want and get what they want in a few weeks to a month at most (if you are making a long term investment then a month is nothing). The only things that are broken that I see right now is that everyone seems to have this idea that everyone has tons of gold which is simply not true. Also, the fact that pretty soon you will be able to buy iron items from vendors, smelt them, and sell those items for a pretty decent profit is not helping anything. If iron ingots get up to 45 per I swear the only thing I'll be able to justify spending time on is either mining or treasure hunting with a salvage bag for all the items.

Velvathos

Velvathos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
While my idea wouldn't probabley fix anything.. It would basaclly knock off two zero's, something that was 1 million would = 10,000 gold..

1 million though should not be a term that is used in MMO's such as UO.. This would also make it a lot less tedious..

By implementing a currency less than gold on monsters, the same currency that gold would turn into.. This is what would help the economy..

We could also stop a lot of scripting if we couldn't physically move gold... Still transfer it, use it for trade, but you can't throw it on the ground, you probabley wouldn't be able to dupe it.. There could just be a little gold symbol under your status bar or backpack that tells you how much you have, we'd cary a infinite amount of it right there.. (instead of banking it.)

EmersonBiggins

EmersonBiggins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I think Mexico did that a while back - used to be something like 300 pesos to the dollar and they just knocked off a couple of zeros.

Ultimately, it's a little disheartening to get back into the game and look at some of the prices on player vendors, especially some of the less honest ones (monk's robe for 25,000gp? I paid 167 gp for one - from the monk himself!)...

Seriously, I never earned more than 50k an hour with my bard and I thought I was kicking butt. That paid for the best GM armor and repairs, and a new vanquishing weapon on occasion.

Now, with all of the attributes on items, it's hard for a new player to determine what something is worth. Until I find a guild to join (looking now) I won't be looting any dragons or paragon creatures, so these things and the "values" they've acquired are just a little daunting. And people are selling gold online for $1 per million. It's mind boggling (esp when you start the game with 1,000).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: economy, fix