Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

I would fix the economy and here is how..

- - - - - economy fix

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Velvathos

Velvathos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
People are getting way too much gold and getting it way too fast. In real life, the United States federal reserve prints money out of thin air and the value of the dollar goes down, and the cost of living goes up. Gold has no value, the cost of living in UO has gone up. A good start, would be to add in new currency into Ultima Online such as Copper and Silver, we have faction silver, but that is not what I am talking about, convert all existing gold in the game into copper, 100 copper would turn into 1 silver, and a 100 silver would = 1 gold.

The currency, copper, would also be the only loot found on monsters, the high end ones would be the one with around 20 silver or so.. Gold, needs to be hard to get..

Pennywise

Pennywise

Crumbpicker, dat der Renaissance Manz of da Werlds!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I tink da current nerf of da b-b-b-bags of sendin as pretty much put people like me to take up da b-b-b-beggin skill.

*winks*

Devante

Devante

Who ?

• Members
  • 2,238 posts
i think a way to help the currency crisis would be to stop monsters having gold on them, instead you would have to sell any items they carry, and who would bother with that ?. This wouldn't cure the problem over night, but it might slow it down a bit.

Posted Image

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Concur. Eliminate gold from monsters. If you do that, a few other things need to change:

- Cooperative collections; gold to point ratio needs to smooth out, closer to maybe 5:1 instead of 15:1
- Change BoS back to how it was
- Tithe point to gold ratio will probably need to be upped, perhaps 2:1?
- Lower insurance rates after a certain period of time. Otherwise, we'll all be paupers in short order. Or, more importantly, the currently poor players will never be able to keep up and Fel will die even more
- Keep gold on NPCs to give thieves something to do. Ditto for beggars

dhekke

dhekke

I am the Gosso King!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I think the first thing shouldn't be making gold hard to get, but instead make the gold go away...
We need means to make players spend gold in-game, and not on vendors, because that gold only change hands.
Before we would buy armor and reagents and items from NPCs, now every monster has a loot better than what you can buy from NPCs.

something should be done about housing too...
It's probably the only thing players still buy from NPCs
Should be more expensive, and dexay more quickly so that more and more houses would be placed regularly.

We are Ultima Online

Blurghh

Blurghh

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
The original economy of UO worked.

But people didn't like it because some NPCs were sold out all the time (and thus raised their prices - supply and demand) and other NPCs wouldn't buy your loot (like Jewelers) because they had no gold reserves left.

Faction vendors was another problem (in addition to the vendor economy/gold change) because people started paying alot less for their resources. Magery reagents became plentiful where magery used to be quite a costly skill to use.

Then there is trammel. In the old days getting gold from the dungeons to the bankboxes of the players was alot harder due to PKs camping dungeons, being able to carry less and there were no gimp items like ridable beetles or bags of sending.

But... people complained, gold flow was expanded and now people complain there is too much gold.
"Mega ib urk, yuga ib nub urk.
Bud iv yuga ib urk den mega ib mudzj zmardur den yuga!
Hur hur!
(Bud yuga ib nub urk!)"
- Intelligent conversations with Blurghh (2008)

I'm at work and when I'm bored all I can think of is Blurghh (he is the sex)

dhekke

dhekke

I am the Gosso King!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Beeing killed by pk's wouldn't take the gold away from the world...
just change hands

but yeah, they made the game too easy for it's own good...
the bag of sending and insurance is just asking to have inflation...

But as i said before... now that UO is (sadly) item based.. insurance is actually important, since your template is attached to your items...

I'd still remove it, though...

Life's tough

We are Ultima Online

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
after 10years and all in influx of gold fixing the economy will be tought but it can be done what i think ea needs to do is de-value the value of gold and implement platium into the econony as the value of gold now gold will be worth say 1/5th it;s total value and introduce platium which for arguments sake can only be found on level 5 monsters and above but instead of killing say lady mel where everyone would get liek 900 gold they would get 45 platium pieces kindo of like what velvathos was saying ...still nix the bos remove gold from monsters who can't caryy gold ie skeltons undead anything without a body mass or any monster with no use for it bog things and so on..increas insurance values as a percentage of the value of the weapon or jewelery if you paid 20 mil for a weapon obviously you have money and you pay a higher insurance rate if you created the weapon low insurance which would also make crafting more econimic and desirable..exampe i just made a great scrapper so i pay 600 gold insurance if i die..or i just bought a great scrapper for 10 million if i die i pay 5 percent of the value (just a figure from the top of my head) i paid for the item . same can be done with jewelery or armor..just my thoughts but i think it could work
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Nexus

Nexus

Shard: Chesapeake/Siege

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

People are getting way too much gold and getting it way too fast. In real life, the United States federal reserve prints money out of thin air and the value of the dollar goes down, and the cost of living goes up. Gold has no value, the cost of living in UO has gone up. A good start, would be to add in new currency into Ultima Online such as Copper and Silver, we have faction silver, but that is not what I am talking about, convert all existing gold in the game into copper, 100 copper would turn into 1 silver, and a 100 silver would = 1 gold.

The currency, copper, would also be the only loot found on monsters, the high end ones would be the one with around 20 silver or so.. Gold, needs to be hard to get..

Your forgetting one thing in the US they destroy tons of old currency each year. This is one thing UO doesn't do well.
What I'd recommend is this, Setting a Fixed Cap on Gold on a shard, until gold exits via gold sinks to below that level no new gold can spawn.

Posted Image

StoneCypher

StoneCypher

Legendary Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Your forgetting one thing in the US they destroy tons of old currency each year. This is one thing UO doesn't do well.

I agree that UO doesn't do this too well. But this is essentially what the vendors do by charging a fee. Although, there is a guy here in Baja at the Tram-Yew moongate that has circumvented that by changing his items from one vendor to the other everyday. :laugh: I personally think it's a smart idea. heh
StoneCypher

Blurghh

Blurghh

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Something random that just came to mind is...
What if there was no gold at all?
What if we had a take and trade economy? :)

You want this armour of fortune?
Sure, but it will cost you 12 crowns of the harrower!

Can I have that almighty sword of pwn?
I will give you this rare event item for it!

Perhaps if that was carried out (and yes, It'd fail miserably, I know, but it's just a random thought) the new currency of the land would be reagents.

Fire blaze cloth? No problem, that'll be 60k nightshade or 40k black pearls! ;)
"Mega ib urk, yuga ib nub urk.
Bud iv yuga ib urk den mega ib mudzj zmardur den yuga!
Hur hur!
(Bud yuga ib nub urk!)"
- Intelligent conversations with Blurghh (2008)

I'm at work and when I'm bored all I can think of is Blurghh (he is the sex)

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
Every post I see about how to fix the gold crisis always ends up with ways to screw newer players or current players that haven't been hoarding gold for the last 10 years instead of actually targeting those that need to be dealt with.

If you want to fix the gold situation start by destroying the rares system. Make all items that are in the game obtainable with an effort versus reward system via normal game play.

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Then there is trammel. In the old days getting gold from the dungeons to the bankboxes of the players was alot harder due to PKs camping dungeons, being able to carry less and there were no gimp items like ridable beetles or bags of sending.

Hmm...explain how that did anything to solve the gold issues in UO. It seems more like the blues had to work for the gold then the reds got it quickly by killing one blue that just spent an hour killing mobs. The only thing that system eventually ended up doing is giving rise to Everquest.

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

What I'd recommend is this, Setting a Fixed Cap on Gold on a shard, until gold exits via gold sinks to below that level no new gold can spawn.

Yes because screwing new players at the cost of gold hoarders is a good idea. The problem is that there is no broken economy. You can still go work for gold and get gold through hunting. You can still buy items. Outside of rares those items are normally reasonably priced. The Doom items used to be insanely overpriced, but now even Doom items are dropping in price. Sure there are a lot of people in UO that are rich, but then again that holds for real life too.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

If you want to fix the gold situation start by destroying the rares system. Make all items that are in the game obtainable with an effort versus reward system via normal game play.

Actually, making the "rare system" a true "rare system" would work better than making things available through normal gameplay (unless by "normal gameplay" you mean insanely easy).

If you make things take effort, there will always be those lazy enough to not put it in, thus the entire reason why a market exists in the first place (people want to buy instead of obtain themselves).

If there were true rares, that can no longer be obtained, then yes, they will be worth X amount of gold, but that gold would need to be earned through "normal gameplay" (hopefully without dupes/hacks/etc., but that's another issue) and there's nothing wrong with that regardless of how "rich" it makes someone.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

(unless by "normal gameplay" you mean insanely easy).

There are plenty of rares that can not be obtained in the game any longer. For example, there is no way currently to obtain Tokuno Artifacts without buying them. That means they are not obtainable through normal game play.

Normal game play means any aspect of the game that is currently doable. Doom, Peerless Monsters, Events, Champion Spawns, Paragon Hunting, and Treasure Hunting are all part of normal gameplay. I don't think anything should be given to me, but I do believe that if I desire to go work to get an item instead of buying it then I should be able to get that item. When I look at "rares museums" they inferiorate me. I lessen that anger based on the fact that most of it is all pixelated crap that has no point, but when suit items (such as Tokuno Artifacts) are worth about 3-4x more than they should be just because although they should be obtainable through game play but are not that tends to really annoy me.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
You can obtain them (Tokuno Artifacts) through normal game play. It's called farming, gather the gold, and buy the item. May not be your version of normal game play, but that's just personal opinion.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

You can obtain them (Tokuno Artifacts) through normal game play. It's called farming, gather the gold, and buy the item. May not be your version of normal game play, but that's just personal opinion.

That is NOT normal game play. I should not have to farm 1 million gold to get an item that someone else was allowed to get through normal game play. Do you honestly believe newer players are going to be willing to do that? I mean, there is a reason why UO can't attract newer players. There are two major reasons for that:

1) People that want to hold onto (and profit from) the old days and fight things such as fairness that would allow newer players to obtain the same items as older players without having to buy them from people charging 3-4x what they are actually worth.

2) Systems that favor 1 such as the rares system, the veteran reward system, and suit pieces that are no longer obtainable such as Tokuno Artifacts.

Sure, UO should be different than every other game, but not in the extent that it is unwilling to learn from its own mistakes.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I'm pretty sure some of the major reasons UO doesn't attract newer players is the graphics and lack of marketing, but, to each his/her own.

If items are being sold by vets 3-4x more than they're worth, why not buy an item that is not so overly priced? Nobody HAS to buy anything, unless they want it.

There wasn't 1 item in game when I started that I felt like buying, I think the most expensive thing I did buy was a Hooded Shroud of Shadows, everything else I pretty much earned or was given.

It's all about personal opinion and comes down to how much you want an item. If you want it bad enough, you'll do what it takes to get it (whether that be from purchasing or from training a brand new character to get/make it).

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

There wasn't 1 item in game when I started that I felt like buying, I think the most expensive thing I did buy was a Hooded Shroud of Shadows, everything else I pretty much earned or was given.

It's all about personal opinion and comes down to how much you want an item. If you want it bad enough, you'll do what it takes to get it (whether that be from purchasing or from training a brand new character to get/make it).

I totally agree with your spirit. I think many newer players feel the same way. The problem is that things like Tokuno Artifacts have to be bought or done without. The issue I have with that is that most of those items are more problematic to do without then to have as part of a suit. Why do you feel that it was perfectly acceptable for you to go out and get new items through normal game play but other players should be forced to buy them?

Other systems, such as veteran rewards require you to have an aged account to have bennefit to those items. While that is good for the cash sites it kind of sucks for the newer player.

I also don't agree, what-so-ever, that graphics plays ANY role in the lack of newer players. Retro games are huge right now. WoW brought a lot of players into the gaming market...those players eventually get fed up with WoW...those players look for retro games because they have actual content instead of being a huge grind fest with pretty graphics and they seek out games that treat them fairly although they are new. The problem is that UO is the only game on the market I have ever played that has gotten so obsessed with trying to make veteran players unique from everyone else that they ended up working over the newer players in order to do so.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: economy, fix