Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Please help, problem with UOKR client, EA don't seem to want new players

- - - - - client ea players problem uokr

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

awiss

awiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my frustating experience in trying to run UO Kingdom Reborn client. Please allow me to share some of that with you. I'm dying to play this game but EA has put a lot of obstacles for me to do just that :(

I live in Indonesia (yeah not very common for UO player), and I played when they first launched it in 1997. I was in dial up connection back then, so the experience wasn't really a bliss. After playing it for about a year, I stopped due to connectivity problem, but UO has left its mark on me.

Anyway, I recently found out that UO had this graphic overhaul in the form of UOKR. So I thought this could be the perfect time to go back to my MMORPG root. I went to UO.com and clicked 14 day UOKR trial. Turned out the client file is pretty big, 2.4Gb total which takes 17 hours to download in my 384Kb connection.

I could barely sleep that night thinking that the next day, I'm gonna be playing the game that introduced me to online gaming. Not to mention seeing UO in 3D graphic in all it's glory. I think I literally wet my pants that night.

I was so dissapointed when I found out the next day, the 2.4Gb file that I downloaded turns out to be corrupted :( I thought..... well no pain no gain.... so I looked for another mirror, and wet my pants again that night.

Duh..... corrupted..... AGAIN......
Strangely my appetite to play UO has not fully evaporated. So I tried for the 3rd time to download it again, but I was to be dissapointed some more. So 3 times I downloaded a 2.4Gb file, using my measly 384Kb connection, and I ended up with 3 corrupted files.

Ok no big deal, if I could still download the Mondains Legacy and use the built in patcher then I can still play UOKR. So off I went to download the 700Mb Mondains legacy. Turns out I need a gamecode for that, so I went to uogamecodes.com.

The strangest thing was, I can't buy the new code option, because I'm told my account is still within the 30days period. I'm SUPPOSED to be a new POTENTIAL customer, how can my account be older than a couple of days old??? But then I didn't despair. I found out I could still purchase the 90days game time code.

To my surprise :0 they don't accept credit cards from my country (yeah it's pretty famous for carding), which I found really strange, because they DID take my credit card number for the EA account I created. (I've been paying my Eve online and WOW account with no problem using credit card).

So I was left with an option to use the payByCash service. To cut a long story short, they too don't accept payment using credit card (I have to use some western union service bla..bla..bla). I tried amazon.com to buy the boxed version, but they don't sell outside the US.

I also went through uoforums to look for the corrupted file problem, and I did try a program called Zip Repair with no result unfortunately.

I'm still longing to play the game, I've been reading forums and guides to know the game has gone through a lot of changes. At the moment however, I'm really rethinking investing time in a game with lack of support (I did contact EA, no reply so far), and missing all the basic ingredient of a successful game. How do they expect to increase subscription if getting a client involves so much hassle.

Please, please if anyone can help me in getting UOKR client, I'd really appreciate it. After all that crap I've gone through, strangely my calling to play is still there :(

I'm just worried this game won't survive long, because of the entry barrier EA puts in place (deliberately or not) to prevent new potential players from joining the game.

aah...... I feel a bit better after getting that out from my chest. Please someone GIVE ME A SOLUTION

LemonSqueeze

LemonSqueeze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
best bet is to try and do the bittorrent.. EA put it out there on the web to influence downloads.. tis how I got KR... though I've played it maybe once.

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

(I did contact EA, no reply so far)

seems about right. i have never heard of anyone having a success story dealing with EA when it comes to UO. its an undying theme ...

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Hi awiss,

Welcome to UO Forums. I know some players from PH, so 384k maybe a little slow for broadband, but is not uncommon for SE Asia and West Pacific Asia. Here are some tips to help you get an error free download.

Yes, BitTorrent is certainly an option. However given the size of the download, the distance and in combination with the nature of the Internet... corrupted files can easily happen. What you need is a download manager for your web browser... which will not only download faster, but will perform error checking as it downloads and re-downloads the corrupted parts during the download. DownThemAll! or FlashGot are the best for Mozilla's Firefox; and here is a page of good download managers from C|NET's Download.com for Internet Explorer.

Install which is appropriate for you, then go to EA's Large Downloads Directory, and start your download. A download manager will make it a little faster, error check & correct on the fly, and resume the download if a connection is lost somewhere along the line.

Hope that helps.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I agree with Nok
Use a download manager, or Bittorrent
I prefer bittorrent myself.

awiss

awiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice guys, but I've had enuf now. I just finished my 5th download, but still the same. I did use a download manager (DAP), but still no result. I've basically tried all the download links (EA, Gamedaily, Fileburst, etc...)

If I had the chance to play it, I think I would've liked it, but given the support from EA for this game, I'm really worried that I might get the addiction when they are about to axe the game.

So sad, a game this great is managed a by EA

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Hello awiss and a warm welcome to UOForums,Its a shame you have had these problems,but you are in the majority rather than the minority.

As a last attempt to help you can I recommend you email the EA Community rep Jeremy Dalberg.She can be contacted at

jdalberg@ea.com

Good Luck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

If I had the chance to play it, I think I would've liked it, but given the support from EA for this game, I'm really worried that I might get the addiction when they are about to axe the game.

So sad, a game this great is managed a by EA

Myself I think is there plan if they don't support it by phone no more and online is a pain in the arse to do they are trying to discourge people and making it REALLY hard for you to download thier game... plus everything else I have been reading... yeah it sounds like they are ready too... =/

I obviously could be wrong but that is just my opinion. I am sorry you are having so many problems =( I seen when you first posted but I had no idea what you could have done to get the game so didn't reply right away. I rather you have some advice uplifting post than me coming in and saying, "I don't know.' =/

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: client, ea, players, problem, uokr