Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Is UO on its way out?

- - - - - uo

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

ulisses

ulisses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
In real life, facts speak for themselves. UO has been around the longest because of content quality, and in-game ethics, plus new things being added here and there, and maintenance of an adult community atmosphere. Also difficulty level to attain new thing and quests is graded to different tastes--In short UO still has and probably will have in the future appeal to many people if not for the different challenges, then for the community benefits. Graphical interface is not everythig in a game like this, and some of the most successful games that are still played today on the web have no graphics at all -- Look at all the old "MUD" games, and AVATAR in one of the more limited propietary systems they have not lost their players in 20+ years as I hear. Based on history and also facts I believe that any anxiety or concern that UO will close down is not really warranted. As someone else said not everyone needs to play one game in order for it to be successful. The 2-D engine for UO rocks still, and the only thing I am worried about if if they decide to make the 3-D verion (KR) the only available UO version before its substantially faster overall.

:?

reason

reason

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I really hope not i would need some serious therapy if it was to close ! Long Live U O !

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
Asheron's Call has proven that an MMO can survive even down until the 10,000 player base level.

*shrugs*

I know this ain't what people want to hear.

People want to hear that UO is going to close tomorrow.

And guess what, it might. Anything can happen in business.

But nothing suggests that UO is on its way out.

Again, I know this ain't what you want to hear. Please resume trying to kill through the weapon of predicting its imminent death.

-Galen's player

Nessa

Nessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

In real life, facts speak for themselves. UO has been around the longest because of content quality, and in-game ethics, plus new things being added here and there, and maintenance of an adult community atmosphere.

Sorry but I disagree with most of what you say.

1. Content quality has gone down the pooper.
2. in-game ethics? Haven't seen a good example of that in a while. 3. an adult community atmosphere? where?!?! Sure there are times you find this but there are way too many 1337 little kiddies running their mouths all the time.

community benefits. Graphical interface is not everythig in a game like this

I agree with this to an extent... the graphics don't matter to those of who have played for years, however it does matter to a lot of those who have been playing other games and then want to try UO, they just aren't used to the old school feel most of us love.

Based on history and also facts I believe that any anxiety or concern that UO will close down is not really warranted.

Actually I do think we as paying customers who have put tons of time and money into this game should be concerned, UO is a great game, yes. BUT it's going downhill and just keeps going faster and faster imo.
LOTRO: Nesadriel-Elf/Champion-Yeoman (main)
Kinship: Eventide Revelry

Craiger

Craiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Will UO eventually close? Sure, but when is the real issue. I think it bodes poorly for those of us who have been here a while, that the dev team keeps getting shaken-up. EA is a monster of a company and the bottom line is all they care about (that is what capitalism is all about, btw).
I have brought three new people to the game in the past month. I have invested my time and resources to make their initial experience in-game as fun and exciting as I could make it. (my initial exp was to killed off by a deer... not glorious)
If we as a community can recruit people to play, to play well, and to appreciate the game, EA will continue to take our monthly ten bucks and be happy. We must continue to throw money at the fire so it will continue to burn. When the player base no longer pays for server and staff, then UO will go away.
Stupid people cause heart attacks

If you need a hand, call me. If you need a hand-out, get lost.

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I was just on the Darkfall website... if that game turns out to be everything they say it is, it may be the last nail in UO's coffin.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

I was just on the Darkfall website... if that game turns out to be everything they say it is, it may be the last nail in UO's coffin.

Again - this is the relevant factor.

With Wow and LOTRO already out there and Age of Conan and Warhammer Online due for release where will UOs player base come from? As in New players?

If there are currently 135k accounts you can probably equate that to about 70k players [max]. Most UOers hold at least a couple of accounts.

Most *will* try out these other games and wonder why they are paying for 3 or 4 UO accounts and reduce to 1 account.

When that kicks in EA will have to take a long hard look at the money.

Unless more is done to attract new fee-paying accounts the game will dissolve:

Less income = less expenditure = Less new players = Less Income = less expenditure = less new players ...

I am sure you can work that out =)

That trend needs to be reversed by investing in a new proper 3d client with new decent content and new EMs and in game events which arent just generic l337 monster spawn bashing wiht the hope of a few rares to put in the bank or sell.
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

Again - this is the relevant factor.

With Wow and LOTRO already out there and Age of Conan and Warhammer Online due for release where will UOs player base come from? As in New players?

If there are currently 135k accounts you can probably equate that to about 70k players [max]. Most UOers hold at least a couple of accounts.

Most *will* try out these other games and wonder why they are paying for 3 or 4 UO accounts and reduce to 1 account.

When that kicks in EA will have to take a long hard look at the money.

Unless more is done to attract new fee-paying accounts the game will dissolve:

Less income = less expenditure = Less new players = Less Income = less expenditure = less new players ...

I am sure you can work that out =)

That trend needs to be reversed by investing in a new proper 3d client with new decent content and new EMs and in game events which arent just generic l337 monster spawn bashing wiht the hope of a few rares to put in the bank or sell.

*nods*

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

lklovelykiki24

lklovelykiki24

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

That trend needs to be reversed by investing in a new proper 3d client with new decent content and new EMs and in game events which aren't just generic l337 monster spawn bashing with the hope of a few rares to put in the bank or sell.

I agree with you we should have a new 3D client I miss 3D and really can not get use to KR. Also I totally agree with you:icon_king: on the events comment. I really wish that once in a while they would have some cool events in UO. The last cool event I went to in UO was done by Queen Mum for Christmas, so basically the players are havening to make these events happen. I feel like EA has put UO on a back burner and feel as if they are just making money off of the game for as long as they can. But know that its on its way out and so they don't invest any money or time into it. There is absolutely no in game help at all, they always refer you to some web page with no answers. Basically it feels like the players are the only ones keeping UO going by helping other players and planning cool events. Thanks for all the great fun i found here in UOFORUMS! If UO goes I hope this forum stays. =)

Santi

Santi

El Mero Mero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
I don't think UO is going anywhere anytime soon. I do think there are going to be some major changes coming down the line to improve what they started...and maybe make it more challenging. Although, that would take out the fun for the casual solo player. Swoops :(
If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!

Henry Winter B^F

Henry Winter B^F

Brigand

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Callumf said it best tbh, there's no decent EM run events, EA generally seem to not care that much about it's players. Look at our last x-mas gift! An ancient pile of snow from like 6 years ago, a box from last year, what else was there? I cant even remember, but none of it was new. They didnt even try. There was also no snow on the general servers, something i thought was great last year!

If they buck their idea's up they could pull back MANY old players, they could prolly even get new players with a decent new cliant, not the mess that KR turned out to be. Will they bother? Here's one old player that really hopes so!

Posted Image

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!

Pistia

Pistia

Amazon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
simple really, as long as they arent making a loss on this game they'll keep it going. about it.

KR was a shame, they could have done better, and gotten the thoughts of all the players doing email wide survey rather than putting out what they think we want.

In a time of Ancient Gods, Warlords, and Kings. A land in turmoil cried out for a hero. She was Pistia. A mighty warrior forged in the heat of battle. The power, the passion, the danger. Her courage would change the world.

Ciar2001

Ciar2001

MrGit Of

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here's my take on the MMG genre, I played UO from 97-01 started as a complete noob on Castkills being from London that was hard work, and the day Europa opened a year or so later I went there and basically played PvP guild wars for the rest of my duration along with dabbling in crafting owning vendors placing new houses so on so forth, now from there I moved to any new MMG which had a pvp server so it was AC then beta tested DAoC and lots of other MMG's including AoC on a FFA PvP server, but guess what? I have still come back to UO because there is just so much you can do, it is still the game that really began the online MMG can't ignore M59 but UO did houses mounts banks crafting you name it they did it and most other MMG's have borrowed from them, even though I dislike EA for buying Origin and bringing in Trammell and I more than happy the game exists, what baffles me from a money point of view is why they never made a pre UO:R server to bring back those players who now only play free servers to get that old PvP feeling, I mean for me personally I am going to get involved in champ spawns, but if EA said today we will open an old style server I would be there banging on the doors to let me in, old style armour weapons skill raising so on so forth.

sorry if it's a bit of a ramble but when I compare my other MMG experience I see how UO even now is still much better, and EA could actually make money on an original style server, lots of younger players always ask so what was UO like? and all I can say is great for pvp compared to games now adays, but I always mention that anything currently in a new MMG apart from raiding and quests which UO didn't bring in until later on was literally in this game first, you hear people in new MMG's complaining about mounts housing you name it they could easily find it here, I did notice someone else mention they don't advertise UO there right you rarely see it, maybe EA should really think on making UO2 with a proper modern style engine to bring people in and find out what the original game was all about, but this time split the game into pve and pvp servers to avoid the issues they had when bringing in Trammell ;-)

Personally I can't see the game on it's way out but that's probably down to being a vet/fanboi you name it :/
Ciar O'Murchada ~ Cats/Europa UO {Sold}
Ciar O'Murchada ~ Europa {Reborn 2008}
Diabhalta Droch ~ Shadowblade~Mordred
Losing sleep since 1997 !!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uo