Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Is UO on its way out?

- - - - - uo

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
I have to say I really enjoy WoW because there is Always something to do, always a goal to keep you motivated etc and its easy to play solo or with a group. I am sure once i level my char to 70 it will get boring because I'll be doing the same quests over and over for my other chars but I hope by then the new expansion will be out :P

UO has lost its luster for me. Even though there is a lot of things to do in UO I was never motivated to do them, mostly because I didn't want to hunt a lone. The UOF guild changed all that for me, UO was fun again but when everyone began to leave again for WoW I found myself in my original situation. Plus I do not care much for the KR UI. I just feel like the art work is really lacking and a bit too bland for me, even though its similar to the original UO art work.

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Source

July 3, 2006

EA Taps Mythic For Ultima Online Aid

EA Taps Mythic For Ultima Online Aid Just days after announcing the acquisition of MMO developer Mythic Entertainment, an official Electronic Arts website has indicated that the newly acquired studio will be helping current EA staffers with the Ultima Online series.

The short website message indicates that the existing Ultima Online team will be working together with Mythic, best known for their work on the Dark Age of Camelot MMO, to “forge Britannia’s future”.

Though the statement may simply involve sharing expertise more passively, or some kind of staff integration into Mythic's offices, many observers are speculating that the company will eventually be helping on an all-new sequel or revamp of the series. Ultima Online was first launched in 1997, and which now seems obviously dated compared to other currently popular MMOs, in terms of graphics, at least. (Nonetheless, the original UO still has around 135,000 monthly subscribers, around 70,000 of which are based in Japan, according to unverified reports from the MMOGChart.com subscriber ranking website.)

Electronic Arts has long been known to be interested in creating a rival to Blizzard’s World of WarCraft, with executives such as Larry Probst and Bing Gordon both speaking out in admiration of the game and its six million subscribers.

As the first major MMO of the modern era, an update of Ultima Online seems an obvious way to try to re-enter the market. However, Mythic's Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning title will be the first high-profile new release from the newly EA-acquired studio, and any new Ultima title would need at least two years of development to release, such is the complexity of current MMOs.
POSTED: 05.24AM PST, 07/03/06 - David Jenkins

As the first major MMO of the modern era, an update of Ultima Online seems an obvious way to try to re-enter the market. However, Mythic's Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning title will be the first high-profile new release from the newly EA-acquired studio, and any new Ultima title would need at least two years of development to release, such is the complexity of current MMOs.

This paragraph sheds light on the focus of the new UO/Mythic team.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Is UO on its way out?: Technically, no .The fact is that quite a few people still pay for the game as is. So I think UO will grind along in that regard.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Many people pay for UO to not lose their houses with stuff in.. specially castle owners. How many dummy accounts are out there?
Real question is.. How many Active players do UO got?

Another important thing with UO is.. Its expensive.. Yes it is. Compared to other games UO is the most expensive / month.

At WAR and Conan release... UO got a very weak future then.

Posted Image

Skrekkugle

Skrekkugle

Rebellion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
What Gnomy said.

I get the UO fever maybe 2 times a year, where I'll play for weeks non-stop. The rest of the year I would cancel my account if It weren't for the housing rules. I got 4 active accounts, and when a new GOOD mmorpg comes around (may never happen though), I will cancel 3 of those accounts and just keep the 18x18 acc. And if this new mmorpg proves to be better than uo in most ways, I'll even put my last acc on hold, selling the 18x18. UO will always be in my heart but I feel like it's going downhill in every way.

Lazytown - The Dark Codex - Moonlight
Part of UO since 1999, always willing to help!

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

I get the UO fever maybe 2 times a year, where I'll play for weeks non-stop.

Me too. I miss everyone in UO:F Guild, but I just can't get into the grove right now :'(

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Eowyna Rohanna

Eowyna Rohanna

I may not be the queen of everything, but I'm the duchess of

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
my opinion--just an opinion mind!

UO is over. The game will continue to be available for some time probably. But there will be no marketing (there never has been much), no new content. The game will chug along with a skeleton crew to keep the servers operating as EA sucks every last nickel out of the franchise while investing as little possible in the way of capital, personnel, promotion, and time. As long as they pull in more money than the cost of keeping the servers plugged in, it will run as an empty shell of the UO we all once loved.

Posted Image

Thanks to Maddux for the wonderful sig!

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

my opinion--just an opinion mind!

UO is over. The game will continue to be available for some time probably. But there will be no marketing (there never has been much), no new content. The game will chug along with a skeleton crew to keep the servers operating as EA sucks every last nickel out of the franchise while investing as little possible in the way of capital, personnel, promotion, and time. As long as they pull in more money than the cost of keeping the servers plugged in, it will run as an empty shell of the UO we all once loved.

I share the same opinion.

Just more of my opinion, looking back at past events (or lack there of), just look at how things have turned out recently. They have "pleased" the masses by making Doom drops pretty much a given, no need to worry, you'll get it eventually. The latest "new" things to happen in UO (invasion) isn't too new if you look back in the past (Pac Trinsic = everyone's Magincia much?).

It seems like they are doing what they can with what they have to keep the $$$ they already have with a half-a$$ed attempt to draw new $$$ without really investing anything. The new KR client is nothing but a re-hued 2D. Sure, they added a few things (macros, recycling bags, etc.), but that was just implementing UOA into UO (which should have been done years ago), and a few other nice things (customizalbe UI) that aren't that big of a revolution.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

. The new KR client is nothing but a re-hued 2D. Sure, they added a few things (macros, recycling bags, etc.), but that was just implementing UOA into UO (which should have been done years ago),

Right on the spot...

Posted Image

KMITA

KMITA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I do not think UO is on it's way out. As long as Ea is making money from it they will continue to offer it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HOORAH!

DarksieD

DarksieD

The old guy from Atlantic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
I voted no..but it may be wishful thinking on my part..I love the game and hate to think of it ending..but i've seen it happen before...I suppose only time will tell but I see fewer and fewer people playing every day seems like :(
Posted Image

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
Unfortunatly, I have to agree with Eo. There just isn't anything really new coming out for UO (when SA coming out?) and kinda gets old. UO:F guild was a lot of fun but most of us have headed in different directions. Plus, the majority of pvper's use hacks, hacks that have been posted in the forums, yet they are still available to hackers, what is that?

On the other hand, every month I look at my bank account and see $12.99 coming out each month, why don't I just cancel my account? I dont know, I just cant seem to do it. Maybe I hate to see all the time I put into the game just go away :(. Anyways, I haven't played in awhile and hopes things turn around :)
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

On the other hand, every month I look at my bank account and see $12.99 coming out each month, why don't I just cancel my account? I dont know, I just cant seem to do it. Maybe I hate to see all the time I put into the game just go away :(. Anyways, I haven't played in awhile and hopes things turn around :)

Yeah, I thought that too for about 2 seconds, then realized that $12.99 is 2 combo meals at Taco Bell and the decision was final.

Yes, I am saying I got more enjoyment out of 2 meals a month than I had out of UO the last few months I paid for it.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

I ...realized that $12.99 is 2 combo meals at Taco Bell and the decision was final.

That certainly puts things in perspective
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Yeah, I thought that too for about 2 seconds, then realized that $12.99 is 2 combo meals at Taco Bell and the decision was final.

yeah, but i can't go back to taco bell in my home town anymore. (long story)

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts

Yes, I am saying I got more enjoyment out of 2 meals a month than I had out of UO the last few months I paid for it.

True dip but uo unlike taco bell dosen't give you the chits now does it..lol
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

On the other hand, every month I look at my bank account and see $12.99 coming out each month, why don't I just cancel my account? I dont know, I just cant seem to do it.

For 6 weeks or so, my future looked SO bright in the absence of UO subscription fees!!!

So much for that.... I can't help myself. I'm almost ashamed.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

yeah, but i can't go back to taco bell in my home town anymore. (long story)

Then maybe 1 meal a month and the other $6.50 on gas for the trip?

True dip but uo unlike taco bell dosen't give you the chits now does it..lol

Real men can control their bowels!

Besides, I'd take the chits twice a month over constant heartache, letdown, and headaches.

For 6 weeks or so, my future looked SO bright in the absence of UO subscription fees!!!

So much for that.... I can't help myself. I'm almost ashamed.

You were almost free Kit.... almost.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
What is even more annoying is that over here a UO subscription is paid in £sterling so we pay about £9/month which with the exchange rate is more like $18/month.

Where we should be paying more like $14.99/2 = £7.50!
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
What i dislike with UO is... That they keep the HIGH fee even tho the game is OLD. Look at other new games... They got fees LOWER than UO... and one get more for the price so to say...
DAoC i payed 9.90... Lotro at moment is also 9.90

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uo