Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Is UO on its way out?

- - - - - uo

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I believe they'll keep UO going on a limited support basis, as long as there's a profit to be made
But don't be surprised to see less content and more microtransactions in the future.
I agree with what Maddux is saying though, but I do believe the UOKR client is the future, it was just released WAY to early and far to buggy for people to be attracted to it.
I believe opinion is swaying in favour of the UOKR client, due to the fixes and improvements coming out, it's just a shame the 2D client is essentially being left for dead in it's wake.

I wouldn't want to guess if UO is "dying" or not, but the subscription figures suggest it did take a rather nasty nose dive post AOS, whether it's recovered since 2006, is anyone's guess.
I would hazard a guess that it's hovering around the 100k mark, far shy of the 250k it had at it's peak.

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
Adam is that 100k on all shards?
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
That's total I believe Callumf.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
100k is my opinion too. No way to know for sure.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I don't think it's opinion Nok, Adam gets the number from some MMORPG chart (I forget the actual site name) that lists most MMORPGs and their estimated subscriptions. Someone that works on UO has all but stated that the numbers on that site are as close to accurate as it gets.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
I'll be honest.

I never did fully understand the whole KR concept.

I suspect [knowing how business works] that someone said:

"Hey we can do this to UO to make it look a bit better and more like other MMOs out there, and you guess what? It isn't going to cost us much money"

And someone responded:

"Yah. Lets do this and see if we can turn some coin from it"

With game development costs spiraling [as returns get even more huge] its a simple cost/benefit exercise.

With 100k users @ £10[ish] /month its still a multi million £ operation and I cant see how it can cost that much to keep it running on a few old servers with a little bit of development here and there.

SO I see it running almost indefinatley whilst the p/l figures stay on the right side.

Would you close down a business which was turning over £12m per year and maybe making £2.4m/year? [20% nett profit]
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
100k Users at 10 (any currency) is only 1 Million (in any currency).

And yes, it's still profitable.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
And £1m x 12 [months of the year] is £12m =)
Posted Image

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Couple of points

1. If folks have sold their accounts, that means someone bought them. There is probably a ton of variables to this, IE Bought a better account dropped an old account, etc.

2. 100k folks at approx 10 - 12 dollars is approximately a million, that's a million a month which is 12 million a year income. Combining resources only makes the profit portion of that 12 million a bigger percentage.

3. EA has invested money in UO, we may not LIKE what they invested in (KR), but still there was a reinvestment. The jury is still out on what that ROI is.

4. Everything ends at some point that's life. I don't see UO going to the junkyard that fast. Perhaps I don't play as much but my core accounts get paid and that's all the bean counters care about. If I use less server time, hell I'm a more profitable user :-P

all IMHO of course.

Happy Holidays to all, I'm off to a job interview (Hurray, second one this week!)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Hi DiP,

I don't think it's opinion Nok, Adam gets the number from some MMORPG chart (I forget the actual site name) that lists most MMORPGs and their estimated subscriptions. Someone that works on UO has all but stated that the numbers on that site are as close to accurate as it gets.

I wasn't disparaging Adam or anything he said. I know the site well. I remember the statements.

I only stated what my opinion is.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

And £1m x 12 [months of the year] is £12m =)

D'oh, that's what happens when Maddux doesn't leave me any coffee.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
wtfpwnd noob =)
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

Hi DiP,

I wasn't disparaging Adam or anything he said. I know the site well. I remember the statements.

I only stated what my opinion is.

Ah, sorry, once again, pre-coffee (Maddux will pay, errr... he is paying for it now! :P Hope you feel better soon bro). From your original post "100k is my opinion too." sounded like Adam's number was his opinion.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
Several expansions have been released, but its aging game engine and graphics make it outdated compared to competitive, new massively multiplayer games. This changed with the release of Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn in 2007, which features a new game engine. Since Ultima Online's prime in 2003, the overall subscriber base has seen a steady decline. Subscriber numbers peaked at around 250,000 in July of 2003, and to date sit around 135,000 subscribers (approximately 70,000 of whom are Japanese). As of June 2006, Ultima Online held a 1.1% market share of the massively multiplayer online game subscriptions.

Quoting directly from the Electronic Arts press release announcing the Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn expansion, Ultima Online was "the first MMORPG to reach the 100,000 subscriber base, far exceeding that of any game that went before it. Since then, it has added seven expansion packs and dozens of free content updates, making it one of the deepest, largest MMORPGs ever created. It is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest continuously running MMORPG in history."

who knows...

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
Whoa! UO is in Guinness Book of World Records!

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
100,000 + UO subscriber base compared to WoW's 8+ MILLION
SUBSCRIBERS WORLDWIDE as of Jan 07. It would more than likely be less than 1% of the market.
If things are to change for UO, they will need to change their current marketing strategy and dedicate UO with a full time staff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

If things are to change for UO, they will need to change their current marketing strategy and dedicate UO with a full time staff.

100% true, i'm not even sure they have a marketing strategy.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
You don't have to be the biggest to be successful and profitable.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

You don't have to be the biggest to be successful and profitable.

It all depends upon how your shareholders and board members feel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

100,000 + UO subscriber base compared to WoW's 8+ MILLION
SUBSCRIBERS WORLDWIDE as of Jan 07. It would more than likely be less than 1% of the market.

UO will probly be around forever, as long as I pay my fee's... As long as UO has Players, the service will be open... If they continue to add content, is another story...

If its down to 100k subs or not is only known by EA/Mythic, the thing you gota ask yourself is Why, do 8 mil play one and NOT the other? If I were EA/Mythic, I'd be worried if the numbers have dropped to 100k... EAM knows darn well most players have 2 accounts, so 25,000 ppl just left... Thats like $500,000.00/month of income they just lost... Thats like 1/3 of their income gone, no wonder they cut wages and had layoffs...

If you played WoW you'd know Why? Has nothing to do with staffing... Divelopment or adding new content or Live events...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uo