Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Is UO on its way out?

- - - - - uo

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

lklovelykiki24

lklovelykiki24

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,113 posts
With games such as War Craft and others like it getting so much attention. Do you think that UO is on its way out?

I have been playing since 1999 when my brother and parents got me into it. But I have been noticing that a lot of the people I use to know are selling or have sold there accounts.

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
it seems to not have that much going for it right now but i believe there are enough people playing to keep it going

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Its all about dollar signs $$. Activision Blizzard's revenues for 2007 are expected to be about $3.8 billion. But rival Electronic Arts (ERTS), with expected 2007 revenues of $3.2 billion, has been on its own spending spree. It is retooling its portfolio of games to include more online multiplayer games and original content. In October EA announced the $860 million acquisition (BusinessWeek.com, 10/29/07) of two independent games studios, in part because one is developing a massively multiplayer online game, or MMO, which analysts and industry insiders say could challenge World of Warcraft. In 2006, EA spent $76 million to acquire Mythic Entertainment, an independent developer of online games. Source for Earnings.

EA is spending money, but we are not seeing or hearing any of it being used to help UO. When you mention EA in MMO, Warhammer Online is the only thing you hear of. You dont see or hear its the Warhammer/UO team. UO has been relocated and work force down sized. Once Warhammer is Live, resources for UO will be more and more allocated towards Warhammer. UO is only holding a share of the market, to keep others from going to different games.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I highly doubt they'd have put as much money into a new client as they did if they didn't expect to be around at least for the foreseeable future.

Every year, someone stirs up another "UO is about to die!" thread... this makes 10 - and I'm sure I'll be saying this again next year! :)

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
An investment of Two weeks, and a census forum that they didn't bother listening to. A census forum that couldn't keep a secret. An incomplete client that is worked on in between other assignments. KR was a poor attempt at a few to justify their jobs. Now they are even fewer and they have been relocated with new leadership.

Profits determine the fates of worlds, both real and online. Some are just too blind to see that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts

Profits determine the fates of worlds, both real and online. Some are just too blind to see that.

A game doesn't have to be the most popular to be profitable - a concept also echoed in "real" small businesses all over the world. I don't argue that profit likely determines UO's fate, but just because UO isn't the first name to roll off of MMORPG players' tongues doesn't make it unprofitable and doomed.

You've pointed to EA's spending habits, but I'd love to see a profitability report specifically for UO that reflects your gloom and doom.

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

A game doesn't have to be the most popular to be profitable

And we see that in the amount of ingame support, live content and all the bustling activity in UO. Broken story lines, hacked accounts, and feeble pleas for help on forum boards.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts

And we see that in the amount of ingame support, live content and all the bustling activity in UO. Broken story lines, hacked accounts, and feeble pleas for help on forum boards.

Not sure how that demonstrates profitability...

If you want to go taking shots with my hacked accounts, my ISP was to blame and not EA. It was technically my email that was hacked, not my game accounts. The hackers simply logged into UO with my legit usernames and passwords once they retrieved those through illegitimate means.

Regardless, what does that have to do with UO's balance sheet or financials?

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Regardless, what does that have to do with UO's balance sheet or financials?

Balance Sheets or financial sheets work both ways. I dont see you showing them to dispute my claims. Nor do I see them shown for stability. As for accounts getting hacked, that rests with those entrusted with the information, and those who own the accounts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I think it shows that less and less is actually going into UO, and it's only a matter of time before those that do still pay to play will not be more than what it takes to pay to keep it running, this may be a long time from now (seeing how UO has downsized in payroll through the years and it continuing) but it's days are still numbered.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts

Balance Sheets or financial sheets work both ways. I dont see you showing them to dispute my claims.

You made the claims in the first place. Either back them up with verifiable facts or offer the truthful disclaimer that your claims are based in opinion and conjecture.

I have made no claims here that UO is profitable. I have no idea if they are or not. You made the statement that they are not. I simply asked to see the facts that led you to that conclusion.

As for accounts getting hacked, that rests with those entrusted with the information, and those who own the accounts.

That's correct - which leads me to my original question: what do hacked accounts have to do with UO's profitability? You offered "hacked accounts" as a reflection of a game not being profitable, but by your own explanation of a hacked account, you've shown it irrelevant to profitability.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts

this may be a long time from now (seeing how UO has downsized in payroll through the years and it continuing) but it's days are still numbered.

My days on this planet are still numbered, but I'd hardly say that qualifies me today as "on my way out" :P

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Conjection and speculation is all you, I or anyone else has to justify that UO is profitable. I showed company profits for both sides, and I have yet to see any hard facts supporting UO's future longevity. Wrap your arms and hopes around the invisible financial sheets and take care they will protect you. If UO was profitable, they would protect their subscribers better. Protect their account information, make it harder for anyone to access someone's account. If a breach, did occur, they would be able to return an account back to normal. Log and ban the intruding IP address and any accounts linked to it. If UO was profitable, they would put some of those profits and complete a client and fix some issues.

From the thread's poll, the no's and maybe's prove there is doubt.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
I concede, UO is profitable and will be around till the end of time. My apologies, to my friends who and others who have read my ranting. Its X-mas time and lets be thankful for what we have. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts

Conjection and speculation is all you, I or anyone else has to justify that UO is profitable.

False. SOMEBODY (aka "anyone else") has balance sheets and profitability reports to justify that UO is (or is not) profitable. YOU don't have them and I don't have them, but SOMEBODY does.

Wrap your arms and hopes around the invisible financial sheets and take care they will protect you.

LMAO (and twice he deflects the issue at hand in an attempt to make this personal!) I'm not seeking protection (nor an argument full of personal attacks). Sorry - won't oblige you there.

I'm seeking the facts to support your claim that UO is not profitable (or, alternately, your statement that indeed you are making completely unsubstantiated claims based solely in opinion and conjecture).

*still LMAO* wrapping arms around financial sheets. I love the visual! Nice attempt at deflection, though.

If UO was profitable, they would protect their subscribers better.

Conjecture. "Protecting subscribers" is a completely subjective. Even if subscribers were completely protected, how does that prove UO's ability to generate revenues in excess of the costs incurred in producing those revenues? (That's the definition of "profitability," by the way).

Protect their account information, make it harder for anyone to access someone's account. If a breach, did occur, they would be able to return an account back to normal.

Opinion. (Again, how would returning a hacked subscriber's account back to normal prove that UO is profitable? Aside from the irrelevance to profitability, such a request is - in my opinion - completely infeasible. Show me another MMORPG that will reset accounts whenever a player claims to be hacked and maybe I'll reconsider the feasibility. At any rate, it's still not relevant to profitability).

Log and ban the intruding IP address and any accounts linked to it.

And that is related to profitability.... how? (Actually, they do have a procedure to log and ban intruders. It requires cooperation of the victim's local police department. Still doesn't make it relevant to profitability).

If UO was profitable, they would put some of those profits and complete a client and fix some issues.

Conjecture. (When you're privy to the details of where UO spends their profits, we can talk on this one). Whether KR is complete or incomplete - again, opinion. KR works just fine for me on all 3 of the machines I've tried it on (including 2 Mac's). It seems that UO "fixes some issues" every time we patch - but again.... even if ALL issues were fixed and the client was PERFECT - that STILL does not prove they are or are not profitable!

From the thread's poll, the no's and maybe's prove there is doubt.

Ahhhh, finally - an evidence-based statement! Good job!

We can go in circles for hours. You made a statement disguised as fact that UO is unprofitable. I asked to see the evidence that led you to that claim. I inferred that you don't have any evidence from your statement that nobody has any evidence.

None of your arguments are relevant to whether or not UO is profitable, and since that's the only thing I was seeking elaboration on, I'm going to go on my merry way (as I don't see you producing such evidence any time soon).

My point in this whole thing is that in my opinion, it's irresponsible to make statements pretending that they are facts, when in reality they're your own unsubstantiated opinions.

For those not interested in reading all of the irrelevant arguments, the Cliffs Notes version:

Maddux thinks UO is unprofitable but has no fact based arguments to substantiate that claim.

Kitiara has no clue if UO is profitable or not, because she relies on facts to form conclusions and not conjecture.

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Posted Image

And as kit has proved in her fine and well detailed post, everything is nice and cozy in UO. Regardless UO will be here for X-mas. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Ive said this before and Ill repeat it here.

UO is the Great Grandaddy of all the MMORPG's that are around today.

It was revolutionary in its concept and provided the springboard for all the games we see today.

Its a bit like the humble jelly.It started off as a favourite dessert,but look how its evolved.

We can now have trifle too, based from the jelly.

Doesnt mean some people dont still prefer the jelly & carnation cream dish though :)

Presently ALL Games that came out in the past 4/5 years are losing profit.

Its a natural procedure,and while is changing dramatically and moiving away form its original concept [roleplay around Lord British and the Virtues] its still unique in its community .

Thats what draws a lot of folk back, and keeps others supporting it IMO.

EA are obviously tightening the belt by bringing all its chicks into one nest ,and thats from a business pov but I dont see UO being shut down as long as its making a profit.

IMO....:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
As long as the profit vs. expense equation is in EA's favor, UO will continue to run.

I believe UO's days will be numbered when, not if, someone designs a game with everything UO has to offer. Right now UO is truly the only game of it's kind, and that is a huge advantage. UO is a true sandbox game, you can do what you want, when you want, where you want. What other game offers customizable housing? How many games allow you to make a character who can make a living without ever picking up a weapon or killing a creature? As soon as some company gets brave enough to put such features in an new game with a fancy graphics engine (e.g. Oblivion), UO's days will be at an end.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

As long as the profit vs. expense equation is in EA's favor, UO will continue to run.

I believe UO's days will be numbered when, not if, someone designs a game with everything UO has to offer. Right now UO is truly the only game of it's kind, and that is a huge advantage. UO is a true sandbox game, you can do what you want, when you want, where you want. What other game offers customizable housing? How many games allow you to make a character who can make a living without ever picking up a weapon or killing a creature? As soon as some company gets brave enough to put such features in an new game with a fancy graphics engine (e.g. Oblivion), UO's days will be at an end.

Well said *nods in agreement*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

My days on this planet are still numbered, but I'd hardly say that qualifies me today as "on my way out" :P

Not true, if there is an end (and there is!) then the days ARE numbered. No matter how you look at it or want to look at it. This is true for you and UO, if not, prove it with facts.

Some facts:

UO has LESS people working on it now than years past.

The above means, less payroll going out than years past.

Not only are there less staff, but they are multi-tasking with other games.

All of the above means, less actually going into UO than before.

I can speculate that the reasons behind these are because the bean counters are hedging the budget to ensure there IS a profit (that's what I'd put my money on) but I won't. If any of the above is not a fact, then state so.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uo