Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Consolidation of Shards...

- - - - - consolidation shards

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
The thing is.. how much we dislike this idea.. atleast some.. Its bound to happen.. Just because Servers means a huge economical cost and the player population going down this is a wise move by EA Mythic to do. If you dont like populated shards then its a problem but they wont listen to those that put that as a argument. Why? Its a MMO .. It should be -FILLED- with people... Not run around for ages without a soul in sight.

Posted Image

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
... and being honest on Europa [a very popular shard] there are massive housing spaces in Felucca now.

Found one last night really close to Britain which looks like it could hold a small village. Not to mention Fire Island is nearly empty etc etc

So if you spannered in an extra housing island/landmass somewhere you could easily consolidate some shards Drachenfels/Europa beign the obvious starting point.

It would be a case of offering like for like on the new shard somehow.

Having said all this even consolidating shards doesnt rid us of the time difference problems - ie USA/Europe/Asia/Oceania so in effect merging a Europe server with an Oceania server wouldn't see a massive difference in player numbers online at the same time.
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Am I wrong in thinking that there has been no marketing at all?

The total lack of any advertising continues to baffle me. The game has survived for ten years! Ten years! You'd think it would be wise to flaunt such a fact and try to attract more players. This is one reason among many that contribute to why I believe the head honchos at EA don't give a rats rear whether the game lives or dies. I believe they may have simply shelved the game by throwing a little cash at it (KR) and cutting all non-essentials (EM's, GM's, etc.). This allows the game to function on "auto-pilot" while making a little profit for them. If it fails... no matter, they have other projects that are going to be big winners for them. Warhammer anyone?

I tend to think of myself as realistic rather than pessimistic, but with some topics it's easy to imagine the worst. :neutral:

Edit: I just realized my ranting went way off the original topic... sorry! :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

odysseus

odysseus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

The total lack of any advertising continues to baffle me. The game has survived for ten years! Ten years! You'd think it would be wise to flaunt such a fact and try to attract more players. This is one reason among many that contribute to why I believe the head honchos at EA don't give a rats rear whether the game lives or dies. I believe they may have simply shelved the game by throwing a little cash at it (KR) and cutting all non-essentials (EM's, GM's, etc.). This allows the game to function on "auto-pilot" while making a little profit for them. If it fails... no matter, they have other projects that are going to be big winners for them. Warhammer anyone?

I tend to think of myself as realistic rather than pessimistic, but with some topics it's easy to imagine the worst. :neutral:

Edit: I just realized my ranting went way off the original topic... sorry! :P

I say that the best thing that EA could do is sell it to another company who would really care to develope the game further... maybe 38 studio's would have a crack at it?
:XXfart:

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

I say that the best thing that EA could do is sell it to another company who would really care to develope the game further... maybe 38 studio's would have a crack at it?

I doubt many of the current team would move yet again though, which would mean they'd have to get together a virtually completely new team to work through all the code...

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
I doubt any gamecompany would like to buy a wornout game? ...

Posted Image

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
I could see shutting down some of the deader shards, but a complete merger I'd be against. My reasoning is simple...I don't want to give up MY houses that I have now. I like them and their respective locations. Why should I get dumped into a new shard and have to fight for a house, probably winding up with an 8X8 similar to what I started with. No thanks. And I agree with the poster who said if you make more lands, you will still spread the player base out too much. I'll keep it the way it is and take my chances. My shard, GL, still has a very active player base. It may not be Atlantic, but it isn't LA, Baja or Sonoma.

Deraj

Deraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
One day, there will be shard merges. It's not a question of if, but when. For all those who talk about houses and shard-based property, don't think that such obstacles can stand in the way of a dev team determined to make it happen. Shards are going to get smaller and smaller until the need for more people is much more apparent.
Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away,
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why,
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire.

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
If everyone would want and be happy with a consolidation of all the shards into one, then wouldn't we all just say "Hey let's make Atlantic (for example) the only shard, and everybody take down your houses on other shards and transfer all your characters (and delete any you have over the 7 allowed per shard, just lose them), and everyone transfer to that one shard and find new housing etc." Clearly the fact that none of us are doing that, means that we would not be happy with it.

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
Problem is, I don't think there's enough room for housing on one shard for everyone. Now 2 or 3 or 4 shards maybe.

Anna Goodward

Anna Goodward

Town Folk of Vesper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Just on a sidenote. What about houses you cannot build anymore as they are now due to bugs in the house customization?

Posted Image

Anna Goodward, The Vesper Trading Company
[Europa Roleplay]

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
ANOTHER issue would be the xfer of houses. Many people would not mind migrating *as is*, but having to migrate all content manually and redo all your building/decoration work is NOT fun! If you could xfer your house whole, as-is, like with a special movers deed, it might be less onerous to move shards...
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Guido

Guido

Ultima Franchise Managing Editor and Site Moderator

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts
What's amusing is that this is still an issue 6 years after the initial post, indicating that the writing has been on the wall for quite a long time now.

Esse Quam Videri
Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

fs_pc.png

jeddak

jeddak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have to agree with those against consolidation as I feel it would mean the end of the game as it exists today. I used to be a long time player on LS but gave atlantic a try before moving to the quiet of Europa. I suspect that UO only exists now because of those who love their holdings and while I just restarted and could pull up stakes and move anywhere I just can't see a workable way to make it work. And even on Atlantic with it's high volumn I find most of trammel and its cities empty with folks congregating in a few places and the server glitches and reboot times a good reason to avoid any consolidation ideas. Part of what has brought me back to the game is that there are committed players loving their 'stuff' and characters they have molded to where they are and I would hate to see anyone lose what they love about the game just so we can have more interaction and crowds.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: consolidation, shards