Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Consolidation of Shards...

- - - - - consolidation shards

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

odysseus

odysseus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I would like to see the DEV team consolidate the existing shards to increase the community base. I would also like to see them impliment new lands, and replace the look and feel of all towns in game.
:XXfart:

Chloe la Mare

Chloe la Mare

Diminished Responsibility and Ginger.. Apparently..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
consolidation of shards would be great, but i doubt it would work. alot of people would be upset loosing their houses as all shards are pretty much the same there would lots of houses placed on the same spot if they merged. Or if you meant being able to travel to each others shards through a moongate or something that would get very confusing! :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vesper Milita

Decardo Imier

Decardo Imier

Knight of the Balance

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
Hmm
Yes a good idea if it was possible as it would bring the player base into one spot, or at least less than there is now.
Posted Image

Life is the Dance and Honor, the Dance is Death to those we oppose,
Honor is our salvation.
Without Honor the Dance is meaningless
forms and we are nothing.

odysseus

odysseus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

consolidation of shards would be great, but i doubt it would work. alot of people would be upset loosing their houses as all shards are pretty much the same there would lots of houses placed on the same spot if they merged. Or if you meant being able to travel to each others shards through a moongate or something that would get very confusing! :P

If all players were well prepared for the transition.... also with the consolidation of shards would bring new found lands, and dungeons. Make a huge land grab event where the new lands are opened up for all to explore, and place houses.. (this would solve the housing issue)

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Few problems I see with this

Players have items, characters, houses and trained skills on their current shards, I can't imagine anyone wanting to lose any of them
Opening new lands for housing, would spread an allready thin playerbase out even more

Question though, what housing issue? there's housing plots all over Lake Austin, right upto 18x18 size, probably even keep size
People on more populated shards are having problems GIVING away houses.

Consolidating shards? If people were compensated, with free transfer tokens to another shard, yea.

odysseus

odysseus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I'm sorry for the literary confusion... If they were to do this then all players from the defunct server would be compensated accordingly....

Few problems I see with this

Players have items, characters, houses and trained skills on their current shards, I can't imagine anyone wanting to lose any of them
Opening new lands for housing, would spread an allready thin playerbase out even more

Question though, what housing issue? there's housing plots all over Lake Austin, right upto 18x18 size, probably even keep size
People on more populated shards are having problems GIVING away houses.

Consolidating shards? If people were compensated, with free transfer tokens to another shard, yea.

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
Now, if OSI did something about house-hoarders (Anyone ever heard of a certain 'tyrant'? =)), there would be less of a housing issue to begin with...

I found a nice spot on Origin, next to the mountains near Vesper... (Actually a fellow guildmember found it for me) However it is still a couple of screens away from vesper, and there is quite some spawn of Harpies, rats, Ogres, Trolls, Ettins and Brigands...
(Not good if my miner is out mining and all of a sudden Brigands appear from nowhere, and the miner is like 100+ stones overweight!) :icon_neutral:

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

I'm sorry for the literary confusion... If they were to do this then all players from the defunct server would be compensated accordingly....

Sorry if this comes across as a rant, but this idea keeps resurfacing, and as far as I'm concerned it's one of the worst possible ideas for the game anyone has ever had.

Compensated accordingly? My homes go poof, my guild built and community built villages vanish, all the seer-created sites with the associated memories they hold for a lot of people, as well as being 'shard history', are gone ..... and I get a transfer token?

If the problem you see is too few people on a particular shard for your liking, then move somewhere more active - there is nothing at all stopping every player running characters on any shard, apart from them not wanting to, or having the time to do it. People can choose where to play, what level of activity they like, how easy/hard it is to get housing space, how busy the vendors and trade markets are. Some folks like low-population shards - why take that choice away?

This would free up precisely NO dev time to fix problems, make an insignificant reduction in maintenance and bandwidth costs for EA, and bring nothing new at all to the game.

No. Absolutely bad, bad idea.... the game needs more players, this can do nothing but help persuade people to leave, and will do nothing to bring new people in.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I intentionally LEFT a highly populated shard (Atlantic) for a more quiet life on a less populated shard (Lake Austin). I'd be highly displeased to be forced to go back to the insanity of a crowded shard.

Nessa

Nessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
If this were to happen that would be the end of the UO road for me.
I like having the freedom to pick a home shard and still be able to play on other shards also.
I also love my houses, the odds of me getting another Luna house and an 18x18 on it's own peninsula are very much not in my favor, especially since I only get to play on my weekends and it'd be a mad dash for everyone to get the "good spots".
Changing the whole look and feel of all towns would be a HUGE mistake, there are those of us who have been playing for years that would be extremely mad about this... like UO isn't changing enough as it is lets completely take everything UO out of UO... no thanks.
LOTRO: Nesadriel-Elf/Champion-Yeoman (main)
Kinship: Eventide Revelry

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
If this was a "poll" I would Vote= NO

It would be the "straw that broke this cammels back" and I would use it as an oppertunity to canceal both my accounts...

and Play some other game...

At this point the only thing keeping me in UO are my two houses, side by side 18x18s... and KR nearly destroyed their look & feel, until they wised up and put Classic view into this game...

Ask yourself this question, Why IS the community growing smaller?

Simple answer: Unpopular changes being make over the years... that have never been revisited and Fixed... UO no longer has the Luxery of being the ONLY game in the marketplace...

abracadabra

abracadabra

Mindless Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
There could nothing to compensate me for loss of friends that would quit from loss of our community and homes. If we wanted to play with more players, we have transfer tokens to take us to a higher population shard. How would you replace 5 houses on one grandfathered account pray tell? There would be no fair compensation, and the end result would be more players quitting than the pennies gained by shard closures. P.S. How long would the maintenance period be for 5 shards consolidated into one take; and how laggy would it be at the bank, or at an event like Magincia?
Posted Image

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

Ask yourself this question, Why IS the community growing smaller?

Simple answer: Unpopular changes being make over the years... that have never been revisited and Fixed... UO no longer has the Luxery of being the ONLY game in the marketplace...

Like the BoS change they sneaked in with last publish?... :'( :? :icon_neutral:

Fargo

Fargo

UO Youtube Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
I rather think that your initial proposition, Odysseus, is one that may eventually be forced upon us. That is not to say that I totally disagree with the concept of consolidating, but as the replies show, there are many who cherish the history and memories of their individual shards.
I would accept the move. I would rather role play in a town full of people than sit in my fine 18x18, never seeing a soul.
Players are leaving at an ever increasing rate and it has nothing to do with their homes, but rather the lack of a strong player base.
Still, consolidation is the nuclear option and one which I hope can be averted.

odysseus

odysseus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I'm glad to see your in agreement. I also think that UO needs to drop KR graphics, and make them more like WOW with a legacy option for those who love 2D. I feel most people on stay so they can presere their homes, and make real money out of stuff they horded over the years. I think some of these changes need to be made to breathe new life into an old game. Where is the advertising campaign for UO? I don't even see it sold in stores anymore in the US.... I do always see commercials for WOW starring William Shatner... IF EA Games really wanted to they could revise this game into a competative MMORPG once again... god help us... I hope this game doesnt die out.

I rather think that your initial proposition, Odysseus, is one that may eventually be forced upon us. That is not to say that I totally disagree with the concept of consolidating, but as the replies show, there are many who cherish the history and memories of their individual shards.
I would accept the move. I would rather role play in a town full of people than sit in my fine 18x18, never seeing a soul.
Players are leaving at an ever increasing rate and it has nothing to do with their homes, but rather the lack of a strong player base.
Still, consolidation is the nuclear option and one which I hope can be averted.

Fargo

Fargo

UO Youtube Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
I have never played WoW and William Shatner's endorsement is proof enough to me that it is not something I shall wish to do soon.
That said, any form of advertising for UO, anything whatsoever, would be better than that which we now have... but please, no Shatner!

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

That said, any form of advertising for UO, anything whatsoever, would be better than that which we now have... but please, no Shatner!

What about Nimoy? =)

Or would you prefer Kate Mulgrew, Avery Brooks or Patrick Steward?
Or what about Brent Spiner? :laugh:

Fargo

Fargo

UO Youtube Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
All are better choices than Shatner! But joking aside, I think that EA/Mythic have expended a huge amount of effort implementing KR, though I am not keen on it myself, and it seems that after doing so they should have pushed the advertising a bit.
This, along with UO now having reached its tength anniversary, should surely merit some promotional activity.
Am I wrong in thinking that there has been no marketing at all?

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Am I wrong in thinking that there has been no marketing at all?

no, you are dead-on

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
The EA/Mythic Online Store is marketing UO T-shirts & key-chains,but you can see where priority is... Warhammer & Daoc. UO trial subscription or digital download is not offered there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: consolidation, shards