Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What have happened to RP?

- - - - - happened rp

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

The voice of common sense.

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
I've never used UOA, but I'm working under the assumption you can keybind all your spells to macros to cut out the double-clicking of spell icons?

All a warrior's going to do with UOA, realistically, is bandage. And maybe pot, if he uses pots.

Though you've sort of avoided the point in hand, here, which is I'm right about archery and you're just having a whine because you likely just got killed by an archer. ;)

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
oh no.. its just because ive seen most being archers now. Im Gnomy -- I dont get killed :D More than in big ganks since im mostly a first target

Setting macros one can do ingame as well - which i actually do.
I use bandageself and i use pots in UOA.. But that a warrior use as well.

Otherwise i do got all macros from UO client - Yes now as i am alchemist i use use once agent in UOA for my bottles.. I can toss about 2 bottles/ second - but that is also because i can click fast. Spellicons is hardly ever used as a mage - very slow.

Posted Image

Erik Arkay

Erik Arkay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Technically a mage is perfectly able to bind his spells to macro using the ingame features. Don't need UOA for that.

I'll shed some light on this perhaps as I've been one of the better known Archers in RPvP over the past 2 years. (So I didn't pick it because of the FoTM :) Incidently I recently started using a mage character but that's because I wanted a change in RP theme)

Archers are not overrated, though granted they've been put up to the same level as the others where
as they sucked arse before. There's one downside though, archers dominate pure mages, they can shoot over distance and thus don't need to worry about closing in on the mage and don't need to worry about mana.
Archers themselves are dominated by parriers. Trying to take down any man with parry is an act in futilityunless if you can coordinate it with other people disarming and such but then we're not comparing apples with apples. Point of the matter is each template has their strengths and weaknesses.

Things I don't understand is allowing LP like some guilds do(DP + the powerup), Enhanced woods and using weapons that don't make any sense (Butcher knife, Skinning knife, Cleaver, Bone harvester, etc) Some people are more strict then others

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

pfft i dont have a necro or archer.. Magery ftw!!

and

yep cherry dont have any of those skills mentioned above either - just magery ones :)

Hear,hear Magery rules.

OH! And magery. *Presses one UOA button. Wins*

and NO UOA for me either.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Well put Erik...

So why suddenly the archer boom?

Posted Image

Kaelith

Kaelith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Archery is an easy way to be more effective in battle. In 1 on 1 situations meleers and mages win every time, but in battle a man can wear good armour and use a bow and be very effective and doesn't need to worry about lag AS MUCH as a melee or someone who needs to press lots of buttons.

Archers have become more effective in battle because of the increase in damage caused by bows, which was put into game late 2005 or early 2006 and also the fix of a "bug" where archers had to stand still all the time their arrows were in flight; whereas now archers can shoot and run without worrying their arrow will go wide.

But I don't think archery itself isn't overpowered; I don't think you've much chance of winning any tournaments with it anyway! BUT put into a RP ruleset and on a battlefield where you have several other archers and you have a deadly weapon and probably the best teamwork weapon on the field of battle.

When you are also as well organised as Grd the bow becomes an insanely effective weapon.

It was my belief, before i left, that archery should have had some tweaking. I certainly believe an archer needs to stand still for longer than 0.5 seconds to loose an effective arrow!

But it seems, since I left, archery has become EVEN more popular and the basic melee warrior is almost obselete.

One more reason not to come back :/

Oh and going to something Hedlyn said, I remember reading the Grd website years back, must have been 2002-3 and back then it was compulsory to start a character with 50 archery! I always thought that was ultra cool :) never knew if they enforced it or not.. But their use of mass archers is a damn fine way of making up for not using mages.

Erik Arkay

Erik Arkay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

But it seems, since I left, archery has become EVEN more popular and the basic melee warrior is almost obselete.

One more reason not to come back :/

I don't agree. On both points =)

I even contemplated changing Erik into a standard run of the mill melee fighter at one point given his profile. People would always gank me galore which required me to stay mobile. If I switched to melee I could have survived most situations and still remained 'in command'.

Especially since the Arms Lore changes a good parrier is almost invulnerable unless against a well executed gank. I had a rule that went like this:

Target priorities:
1. Mages
2. Poisonners
3. Archers
4. No-shield melee-ers
5. An ettin that wandered onto the battlefield
6. The rabbit taking a peep
548468787846. Parriers

Nuff said =)

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Target priorities:
1. Mages

Ohh... How I know that! Specially the tiny ones! :D

Posted Image

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
In Rbl, we target enemy archers first - they're our bane. Ranged paralyze? >< No ty!

That said, mages would be our first target if Grd had any.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Arius

Arius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Mages have feelings too...although, when Vesper was at it's peak, pretty much everyone and their mother was a mage. I think our main priorities back then were other mages (A rare sight), and then archers.
Thaur Macil ‎(22:29):
There is no such thing as the female orgasm..

Vierna

Vierna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
I’m not sure whether archers are particularly overpowered or, whether there has been a sudden increase because of that perception. If there has been such an increase then that is the fault of GM’s for allowing members to put PvP before characterisation. There is no doubt in my mind that players are more and more creating PvP “tanks” then trying to characterise it, when it should be the other way round. Create the character THEN the skills to match.

It seems to me Hedlyn has a guild of guerrillas and outlaws, so having characters with archery is perfectly valid. If that skill IS a little better than anything else then fine, it is a legitimate skill in an RP sense and cannot be faulted.

What GM’s should be looking at is preventing a “free for all” on skills, which do not fit the characterisation or the guild. On top of that there are also some skill combo’s that I think are quite lame. Necro/archer or necro/warrior is just plain stupid in my opinion and is actively discouraged in my guild. As a Drow guild there are certain skills I do not allow, chivalry being a prime example. Yet I have seen other Drow characters with that skill. A Drow with chivalry, excuse me? What is the player and GM thinking about?

Also the choice of weapons, again GM’s are lax here. Speaking for my guild I do not allow pitchforks and the like to be used. Drow just would not use such things, yet I have seen Drow characters in other guilds run about with them, why? Because they want to be top dog PvP’er and bolt on a little RP to make it look legitimate?

A bigger problem to me is the PvP scripters. Unless you’re out scrapping with PKers on Felucca why do you need to script? It just destroys any semblance of a level playing field that the RoE tries to provide. That IS something that should be rectified but unfortunately it is impossible to control.

Gnomy, I see where you are coming from. If you are talking about characters who for years have been melee warriors and suddenly now are archers you are spot on. More power to your campaign and start whinging at the lax GM’s who have allowed it to happen. But I do not think it is fair to single out the likes of Hedlyn and his guild since his RP persona justifies its use. Put it another way, it is not the skills per se that are at fault but character bastardisation.

Posted Image

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
I'd agree with most of what you've said. Though, while I hate mace / necroers (because they're !!!!ing imba!) - I find necromancy warriors sort of justifiable.

I'd liken it to being sort of like a dark cleric, or something. Personally I despise the idea because it's far too "high fantasy" for my tastes - but I can understand why someone, particularly a drow or something would take it up.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Vierna

Vierna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
Yup. A Necro/macer I can accept and live with in certain characterisations, dark cleric/drow priestess, but other combo's apart from necro/magery are just pushing things too far.

Posted Image

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts

I resent that comment! :P

dont you mean resemble?

bwahahahaha just kidding luv you henry!

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Toad

Toad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
I don't like archery...
Gordon has archery..
And bombs..
I just have archery because I was in RM/S&K

And in all honesty the quiver was to lower weight..(I was normally full to the brim with stuff for bomb making ie: Bottles, regs, 30 of each pot.. Maybe a keg.. )
(Unless I was killing other stuff in PVM.. Then I used a quiver of inifity..)

Though I don't play much now so I haven't seen the uprise in bows.. Its never bothered me much before.. Except Dev's skill with moving shot.. He could chase me for hours endlessly..
Posted Image
The army is gone... For now...

Kaelith

Kaelith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Mages have feelings too...although, when Vesper was at it's peak, pretty much everyone and their mother was a mage. I think our main priorities back then were other mages (A rare sight), and then archers.

Now this is a crazy comment! :)

When Vesper was in it's prime was 4/5 years ago and we were always proud of having very few, if any, mages!

Crazy how times change! I did hear that Vesper was fielding scores of mages in the last year or so.

I miss the old days...

I stand by my comment about why people are taking archery, as it seems to me it hasn't changed since I left - It's because it's become the easiest way for a play to be effective on the battlefield; you have range, good/useful specials, limited mana use, no buttons to press or not very offen. It's become a very good and useful weapon skill and mixed with Chivalry its just down right scary!

Necro-warriors are very scary. I think they can make perfect RP sense, in all forms, but you often found that characters who had this combination couldn't really justify it.. Much the same as chiv-warriors, but they weren't so powerful. Although, to be fair to necro-warriors, it is a very crammed template!

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

But I do not think it is fair to single out the likes of Hedlyn and his guild since his RP persona justifies its use.

Oh.. Didnt intend to single out him/his guild - They do it just perfect...

I was more onto Archery in general now... Why such a boom in it?

Okay if one want to change template and so.. since something can get boring.. .(Dont know how many times ive changed Gnomy) But the base has always been the same on him... Magery. Hes magicul!

I think one should have harder... yes Rules.. and do as Vierna said.. Create character first... then choose his skills.. if one want to change.. Let someone RP help train.. change. and a story about the training. (This only if its a complete change in template - like changing weaponstyle or dropping magery suddenly..Chiv for necro... )

Posted Image

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
As much as I'll defend archery to the death, there is no skill in moving shot. ;)

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Goober

Goober

Goober

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Gnomey I think the biggest “boosts” for using Archery is as Thaur stated ( gm gear + hand to hand vs. some of the monsters now days is bit more then rough w/o a cohesive unit), The forgiveness on lag issues and the fact ( as Hedlyn points out) you can para something and still do damage. That is very nice set of attribute options to have with just one skill slot.

Coppelia

Coppelia

~ Babbling Loonie ~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I want to feed you to my rune beetle why do you run away? :(

Archers and mages are popular because there's a moment you get bored of wannabe melee warriors running in all directions. Large battles begin with cohorts and finish like a hide & seek party.
If you stay cross-healing in group, ranged folks stay away from you easily because of your lack of mobility if you want to stay toe-to-toe,they just have to follow targetting orders and you won't be able to cross-heal and will fall one by one.
For what I've seen while playing my melee fencing warrior, the game rewards cowards running away from contact to heal themselves and/or re-equip. So you have mace warriors dealing you massive damage, you stay in front of them at the risk of missing your next bandage and dying, and once you place your special they run in the forest.

So I understand that people who can't even have a frank melee fight starts thinking how to place archery in their template.
And archery + chivalry is really powerful and fits to some people's RP.
Mages are easier preys because of their casting time.

And what's particularily frustrating against archers is that they can be afk, if you double-click on their HP bar to attack them they automatically answer with a volley of arrows. You really don't have to be specially smart to play an archer. That doesn't help for its popularity.

Otherwise as a peace/tamer I don't have any word to say in battle so guess what, that makes me shrug. RoE regarding pets is a joke. There are taboos I don't know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: happened, rp