Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What have happened to RP?

- - - - - happened rp

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Everyone and their Nephew got archery these days?

Sad to see how FoTMing in UO just goes to another level :(

Posted Image

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
Gnomy

Everyone went to the Robin Hood school of archery - guaranteed to make you into a skilled wtfpwn archer in 1 real life day.

And yes Gnomy - I agree - it sucks =)
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Henry Winter B^F

Henry Winter B^F

Brigand

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Archery is for cowards! Use poison or disarm weapons instead! :P

Posted Image

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Yea i forgot to mention that, if one third got archery now... another third got poisoning...

Posted Image

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
... and the other third have Necromancy! Everyone wants to raise the dead!
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
It is something fuzzy about 'em dead people... *smirks*

Posted Image

Chloe la Mare

Chloe la Mare

Diminished Responsibility and Ginger.. Apparently..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
pfft i dont have a necro or archer.. Magery ftw!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vesper Milita

Cherry

Cherry

Lady of the Pool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
yep cherry dont have any of those skills mentioned above either - just magery ones :)

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
But its like one can count the "normal" ones on my hands..

Posted Image

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

The voice of common sense.

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
Over half of Rbl have archery and I fail to see how it's "overpowered." The Yewish have always had a thing for the bow, it's somewhere in the oldest Grd lore that all citizens were trained with it so it made sense for Yewish rebels in an uprising to be fairly archery heavy.

Having been using it pretty solidly in PvP for the last two / three weeks I can see many flaws, tbh. For a start, it only does physical damage, the easiest resist to stack (the lowest PR in Grd is about 50 these days - lol.) Secondly, parry absolutely loves archery - ping, parried, ping, parried, ping, parried. Add to the that the unreliability of moves like Moving Shot (name any other special that "Fails" so frequently.)

I've seen three lads with Yew wood heavy crossbows chasing and moving shotting a Besieger and him not being all that troubled. Archery isn't instantly FTW, you have to know what you're doing with it just like any other skill. Oh. Except poison. Spam, spam, spam, spam.

OH! And magery. *Presses one UOA button. Wins*

OH! And Necromancy. Because it's totally fping imba.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Henry Winter B^F

Henry Winter B^F

Brigand

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Archery isn't instantly FTW, you have to know what you're doing with it just like any other skill. Oh. Except poison. Spam, spam, spam, spam.

I resent that comment! :P

Posted Image

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!

Arius

Arius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Mages use UOA? So that¨s why I sucked comparatively to other mages!
Thaur Macil ‎(22:29):
There is no such thing as the female orgasm..

Chloe la Mare

Chloe la Mare

Diminished Responsibility and Ginger.. Apparently..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
i dont use UOA... must be my excuse for being crap too :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vesper Milita

Kaelith

Kaelith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
by the end i had come to terms with the fact that UO pvp sucks real bad. it's probably the overriding reason why i left and is the biggest reason which stops me from coming back.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
So the reason that everyone got archery is? :P Because its good.. really.

With 50DI and then also quiver +10 .. 60DI.. is ouch.

Posted Image

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
Who says you have to have a quiver to have archery? /shrug.

And unless you've got one of those stupid blight quivers, it's still physical damage and still the easiest to resist. I really don't understand your argument, here, you're being a bit obtuse.

Necromancy > Magery > Chivalry > A load of other stuff > Poisoning > Archery > Other weapon skills.

Frankly, the idea of a macro-bashing mage telling me archery's overpowered just makes me LOLZ.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
you know that to play a mage good, i got over half my keyboard macroed with utility?

How many good mages do we see these days? ...

Why have everyone chooses archery then? I know goddamn well why since i got a archer as well .. Its easy kills its just not in RP .. Its FoTM and has been a long time.

The thing is.. Archery you stand on distance, 2 archers can drop anyone within 4secs.. If they know what to do.. a bit longer if the target got fast reactions to pot before a mortal hits him.

Posted Image

Thaur Macil

Thaur Macil

Norway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
People having archery probably has something to do with the invasion too (Especially DoTs). Meleeing a DF in gm gear and in those flames is a bit... suicidal.

Plus as you said archery is the only skill you can get away with using buffs no one else can use (+10% di).

Vordrius (V^S) ‎(17:52):
THAT'S why all my chars have been ********!!! It's because I knew deep down I hated RPers!!!

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
I'm sorry mate, I really don't want to get provoked into being rash and abusive - as I'm sure you know I'd be all too happy to do.

But you're talking absolute drivel and you're spewing it out straight out of your backside. I don't deny whether you're a successful mage or not, though I do question how "challenging" it is to para explo whatever it is you do to people. If you did it without UOA, then I'd be impressed.

But your points on archery are just wrong on every level.

On a PvP Level: Two 120, +25, blight quivered, Yew wood, crossbow wielding d3wds might be able to conc spam someone down in a few hits - but that's an extreme case. Roleplay's all about limiting ourselves and not equiping ourselves thus, realistically, two or three archers can't down anyone simply that quickly - it just doesn't work like that. And even if it did, would it be that terrible for 3 people to easily beat 1?

Back before bandaging got easier, parrying got more effective and everything got easier to survive - two good dexers could drop anyone, leg it and restealth. Ask anyone from CoY about Celendil and Teclis, for example. Or the TBK Ninja. Or... Zhedra... *shudders*.

Nowadays it's just not that simple, I'm not claiming archery is less powerful than - say - mace fighting, swords or fencing by default, but on it's own it's not over-powered either. Your "facts" are all completely off.

On an RP level you're also off. Firstly, UO isn't "full of archers" - I've seen BoC have a couple but the two guilds I see actively the most these days are Rbl and Grd (not claiming we're the most active, but they're ones I see.)

Grd have a marksman division and a couple of their watchers have archery, but there are more parry swords and parry macers that we end up fighting. Which just makes it harder for us, really, Parrying > Archery any day of the week. You've got to be a total nub to go down 1 v 1 against an archer, even an imba one, with a decent 7xGM parry / besieger template.

As for Rbl - we've a very high archery quota, but like I've said - it's very easily justifiable in roleplay terms. Firstly using Grd / CoY's own lore about Yewish civilians and the training of archery (Go talk to Lewis, Klion, Bladius or any of the Grd bigwigs or CoY oldies) and secondly using history. We're portraying a bunch of celt-esque guerrilla fight fighters in a medieval environment. Go back five hundred years to medieval Wales, say, and what are the insurgents all running around with? Oh look, longbows.

/shrug.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Hmm.. now i really got intressted,

If you did it without UOA, then I'd be impressed.

What will UOA do to me as a mage more than to a warrior? Just curious

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: happened, rp