Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Devs: A Display Request

- - - - - devs display request

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
from Coldren ,who asks.

With all the changes to "Point" sytems, such as Virtue plate in the Anti-Virtue dungeons, Doom Artifact points, and even Karma and Fame, would it be possible to have some kind of gump (In both 2D and KR) that displays your current levels for these types of points with exact numbers?

I've been killing dragons all weekend long and still haven't even reached Glorious (sp) yet.. (Enough Dragons/Drakes to get 3K+ of both Barbed and Horned leather).. I'd just like to know how far off I am!

Some of you may say it takes the "mystery and exitement" out of it by knowing how close you are.. To them I'd say, don't open the display gump, and some of us like to see our "Progress Bars" move.=)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeremy replied

Heh, the opaqueness of the Karma and Fame systems is one of my pet peeves, too. That chart looks like someone puked a thesaurus onto a spreadsheet and called it good - I went from "Commendable" to Famed" on one of my characters and had to go look up the chart to find out which direction I was moving, and on which axis - that's not a great progress indicator, imo.

The "point" systems are a little trickier, because they only affect probability - there's never a point where you hit "drop guaranteed." It would be more difficult to display that.

E. Jeremy Dalberg
UO Community Coordinator
EA Mythic
www.uo.com

~~~~

Coldran agreed

Agreed.. The chart could definitly use some improvement. Even as seperate "Sliders" where each end of Fame/Karma is positive/negative, with the values in between and your current level would be great.

Example (Random values and titles):

|----|----X----|--[|]-| = Current Fame Level : 1 [8,527]

|----|----X-[|]--|----| = Current Karma Level : 0 [1,527]

Fame 0| Karma 0 : No Title
Fame 0| Karma 1 : Commendable
Fame 1| Karma 0 : Respectable

Current Title: Respectable

This is esentially what the current chart is, a grid of this Karma/Fame matrix.. It'd make a little more sense with this type of display, at least to me.

And even though it only affects the probability, and not used to mark a garunteed drop, it'd still be nice to know how much of an INCREASE in probability you'd have to get a drop. Example, I may have only 750 points for a doom artifact, but if I don't get one and see those points go up to 850, I at least feel a sense of accomplishment in knowing that the NEXT time it will be more probable, rather then a completely transparent system in which I never know where I stand.

Just a thought.

~~~~

Fayled Dhreams thoughts are

Well... alla that without dying right ?? ^^
rebooted the client? (shutdown restart)

whatcha at?
sometimes dying resets the char
*shrugs*
http://uo.stratics.c...mekarmagain.php

~~~~

In reply to Coldran ,Jeremy added

I was thinking (although, remember, this is me-as-armchair-designer, not me-as-UO-dev) that taking the top-fame-tier titles and using them across the board, just with additional prefixes, would make sense.

So, at 0 fame, the titles would be the current tier 4 titles, and as you gain fame you'd be, say, "Eminent Knight", "Eminent Baron", etc up to "Eminent Lord/Lady" Much easier to keep track of. But that's just me.

We've talked about adding a bark (like the "I must consider my sins" functionality) about the point systems, but so far nothing's been decided.

E. Jeremy Dalberg
UO Community Coordinator
EA Mythic
www.uo.com

~~~~

Coldran

That's actually a good idea. Much more simplified.

Would the other end of the spectrum of say, fame, be Eminate Dread Lord? So high karma, low fame? (Gotta remember infamy and a negative karma too for those little devils out there..)

And a bark is fine, but if given the option, I'd say a gump, simply because barking every time I kill to see how much I've gainned since my last bark can get a bit.. tedious. I'd like to see it on me screen.

~~~~

No, you'd be "the Dread x", "the Dread Knight x", "the Dread Baron x", etc up to "Dread Lord x"

E. Jeremy Dalberg
UO Community Coordinator
EA Mythic
www.uo.com

~~~~

This helped Coldran understand the system better

Ok.. Now I see it. Thanks for clarifying. Be interesting to see the negative fame titles.. From top to bottom:

The Dread Coldren
The Dread Plebian Coldren
The Dread Scum Coldren
The Dread Villian Coldren... Oo.. That has a ring to it.

Oh! Oh! the Eminent Villian Coldren.. I'm a regal kinda bad guy.:laugh:

~~~~

JCB pointed out

No, you'd be "the Dread x", "the Dread Knight x", "the Dread Baron x", etc up to "Dread Lord x"

Except everyone isn't a Baron or a Knight. All Fame and Karma titles are class neutral.

~~~~

Last post to Jeremy

Except for "Lord/Lady"

E. Jeremy Dalberg
UO Community Coordinator
EA Mythic
www.uo.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
I didn't feel like trying to reason with Jeremy anymore because it was futile. Her comments that someone "puked" out the fame/karma titles and that Lord is a class specific title are ludicrous.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Deraj

Deraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
How is this even an issue?
Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away,
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why,
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Leave the titles alone! They are great as they are!

Just concentrate on more pressing issues!

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When I think of how we have to wait 9 months for a single interview to come back, if it even comes back at all, they sure do spend their time on unimportant subjects.

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
"That chart looks like someone puked a thesaurus onto a spreadsheet and called it good"

Really? And the hopelessly long titles that came in later, from champ hunting (that you cannot get to display on your paperdoll because they are TOO long), are better? In comparison to the timeless elegance of "Slaughterer of the Forest Lord" I reckon the old titles are just fine, thanks.... and don't get me started on some of the feeble contribution titles, "Royal Subject Of The Britannia Zoo" makes you sound like one of the creatures on display, not a supporter of the place.

Perhaps the problem is some of the words in the original titles are a bit too hard for the current EA people to understand....:P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: devs, display, request