Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Ummm, Devs, didn't you say you'd FIX Blood Oath in PvM???

- - - - - blood devs fix oath pvm ummm

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Prince Caspian reminded the dev team of the following.

Several months ago I posted about how I hate Blood Oath. While I think it's a pretty decent spell in PvP, it's utterly ludicrous to give it to monsters. After all, in PvP, we have a comparable hit point pool. In PvM, the monster has sooooo many hitpoints (EA's solution to make a monster "challenging" is to give it an insane glut of hitpoints) that in order to bring a tough monster down, we have to do a lot of damage per hit.

Naturally, since the Blood Oath is a 1:1 damage reciprocation (*but the CASTER can hit ME without suffering the same damage*), this is enough to kill most players.

If that wasn't enough, Blood Oath NEVER MISSES. EVER. Regardless of your damn magic resist, any monsters casting Blood Oath on me always succeeds. Always. And often for fighters, we see it happen just as we are attacking and there's no time to stop the instant deathblow we get.

Ok, enough rehash. In response to the post, a developer (forgot who it was) said that they were looking into Blood Oath, to make it a bit more balanced in this regard.

Never heard from it again.

Meanwhile it makes virtually any necro casting toughie (Dark Fathers, skeletal dragons) very annoying, as you can go from perfect health to dead in a split second. Oh, but THEY can still wallop the hell out of you.

Where are we on this, devs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stratics reporter Larissa added concerns also.

Yeah I"d like to know too.

I don't know HOW many times I"ve killed myself due to being Blood Oathed..it's rather annoying! But kinda nice to know how much damage I'm doing *laughs*

I got hit once for 247 damage...I was like WOOT IM THE BOMB! *laughs*

But yeah, it's kinda annoying.

~~~~

Prince Caspian went on to further to say :-

I wouldn't mind as much if we could actually RESIST the stupid thing. The fact that it has a 100% Accuracy and absolutely no defense against it, for such a powerful spell, seems utterly stupid.

I mean, I can resist Poison, Curse and every other curse-like spell, but not this one, which happens to be the deadliest?? Retarded.

~~~~

Ni- suggested

How about if dmg returned is pct based. e.g. you hit your target for 100hp dmg; your target has 1000hp max; you've done 10% dmg to them so 10% dmg is done to you; you have 100hp so that is 10hp. It seems like it wouldn't need to be scaled for PvP since, for the most part, combatants are in the same range of hp. Would that make it too ineffective?

~~~~

DrMcguilicudy suggested Enchanted apples?

~~~~

but as Connor_Graham pointed out.

You usually don't have enough time to eat one before the arrow lands. The Primer on Arms will remove it also, but again, if the arrow is already away, it's too late. If you haven't fired yet, using the disarm macro works fine, it's after it's fired that you insta kill yourself.

~~~~

Nathan Rahl had this to say

Well they are the Dark Fathers. Fathers of darkness. I really do not mind the one hit kills cause they do not always happen. BUT I do think that resist spells should have a chance to resist it not just lower time its on you. Same with all spells.

~~~~

Our very own Adam's solution was.

Either that, or put a cap on the max amount of damage you receive.

~~~~

Prince Caspian also had this to say

I'm a Paladin, which AOS has firmly set up as the antithesis of the Necromancer... or the archenemy at least.

Isn't it odd that I have absolutely NO defense against Blood Oath and Vengeful Spirit? You think a Paladin's Remove Curse and Dispel Evil should work on those two Necro favorites.

Devs, there's lots of suggestions in this thread on how we could easily fix this issue. Amongst them:

- Take it away from the necro monsters.
- Make it capped at a certain damage level.
- Make the monsters get hurt when they hit us while it's up.
- For the love of god, make it RESISTABLE like any other debuff spell in this game.

~~~~

Leurocian replied quoting the original post as follows.

Wilki and I finished the Doom Creature Point System for the next publish (barring any unforeseen circumstances, of course).

In regards to Blood Oath, we're considering resisting spells allowing partial resist. With 120 resist allowing 70% blood oath damage resist ((resist / 2) + 10). Tentatively, we're considering this change to be PvM only. However, we'd like your thoughts on that.

Furthermore, we're considering lessening the frequency of blood oath being cast by NPC spellcasters.

Let us know what you think.

Thanks!

Patrick "Leurocian" Malott
Lead Systems Designer, Ultima Online
EA Mythic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Righteous1 asked

What is the Doom Creature Point System? Are they going to get points on how many times they kill players, give us a running total on the doors to thier areas?

to wich Leurocian replied

It's essentially Treasures of Tokuno style internal calculations, but for Doom. Each doom boss will grant 'X" number of points to the player character. The more points a player character receives, the more likely an artifact will eventually be rewarded to the player character. That sort of thing.

EA Mythic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Righteous1 answered

I have always had a question about the point system but never got around to asking. Ok I build up 10,000 points (Or insert your own rediculously high number) and then get an arty does my point total go down to 0 or just down X amount?

~~~~

It resets to 0.

~~~~

So can more than 1 player receive an arti from the same Boss creature?

~~~~

Yes.

EA Mythic

~~~~

Leurocian answered more questions that cropped up.

Will all the mini bosses give the same amount of points and DF about 3x them? If say, 10 people kill a DF will the points be spread across those 10 people or will each person receive the same points they would get for soloing it?

All the mini bosses will give the same amount of points. The Dark Father will give significantly more.

Being the highest attacker does give some extra points, but everyone inflicting damage on the Doom boss will receive a significant amount of points.

Example: the second highest attacker receives 2% less points than #1. The third and fourth receives 4% less points than #1,
fifth and sixth receives 6% fewer points than #1,
seventh, eighth, and ninth receives 8% fewer points than #1, etc.
The lowest damager would receive 12% fewer points than #1.

EA Mythic

~~~~

It's essentially Treasures of Tokuno style internal calculations, but for Doom. Each doom boss will grant 'X" number of points to the player character. The more points a player character receives, the more likely an artifact will eventually be rewarded to the player character. That sort of thing.

[I]
So luck will have nothing to do with this?

Back on topic: Blood Oath is mean , when used in PVM..

~~~~

Like Treasures of Tokuno, Luck will affect the chances of getting an arty.

EA Mythic

~~~~

malice123 said

[I]Thank you , nice to see you come out of the dungeon....Hopefully you and wilki be one of the ones going to the east coast , didnt you move a few times for this game/company/UO community

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last word to Lerocian

Yep. I moved from Indiana in 2004 to Redwood City CA. In 2005, moved from CA back to Indiana. In 2006, moved from Indiana back to CA. Sounds like a demented game of real life ping pong.

I tell ya though. I don't regret any of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blood, devs, fix, oath, pvm, ummm