Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Auction style Vendor interface with shard search...

- - - - - auction interface search shard style vendor

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
I think it would be great. I hate going to Luna and buying things. They are really overpriced of course on all 6 char I have a total of no more then 2 mill in gold.

Why should UO search, uo treasures, and Uo whatever dictate what the going rate of an item is? So they can make real $$ and drive the little mom and pop vendors out of business. So what if I undercut my price and someone buys it and sells it for more? I got the item for free, only spent insurace money to getting it. Lets say sell my PS for 5 mill and they buy it for the 5 mill and the turn around and sell it or 7 mill. I get 5 mill profit and they get 2 mill. I still made out higher then they did.

I only purchased gold once and I felt so bad doing it, like I cheated the system. After that I told myself I would never do that again. I already give EA money and I am not giving someone else money out of my pocket for fake money.

If UO starts a vendor search type system, then yes I believe the prices will go down at first until the market finds it's mean and equals itself out. Then possible raise after that.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
How would it be any different?

If this got put in game, the ones with all the gold in the first place would only make more and STILL drive the prices to be whatever they want.

If someone has an item that the big guys have in abundance and tries to sell it at anything less than what the big guys price it as, they would buy it out and place it at their price and make a little profit (difference from the undercut single player price and their original price).

OR if the player gets the item and prices it at the same price the big guy has they'll buy it out and price them ALL higher to recoup from buying it in the first place.

You are blind to the facts if you do not think this would happen.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

If someone has an item that the big guys have in abundance and tries to sell it at anything less than what the big guys price it as, they would buy it out and place it at their price and make a little profit (difference from the undercut single player price and their original price).

Very true..I didn't think about that. It most likely would have the adverse effect then we would what it to have. We would like for some type of service out there to market our products, for people to stop by our store, and buy our items; but just like in reall life the big businesses buy out the smaller ones becuase they can. They have the money and don;t care. As long as their pockets are getting bigger. So yes theses guys would use this type of system to search out and buy all smaller market products and turn around and sell them at higher prices. You see it all the time, they drive out the smaller markets and then increase their prices becuase they can afford it and becuase they can offer more resources.

Take Starbucks as an example. I like Starbucks coffee. But I used to love this one coffee shop when I was in college. It was a small moms and pops store. But Starbucks popped up across the street and drove them out of business.

I believe the same would happen here....

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
This is a great topic!!!!!!!!!

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

How would it be any different?

If this got put in game, the ones with all the gold in the first place would only make more and STILL drive the prices to be whatever they want.

OR if the player gets the item and prices it at the same price the big guy has they'll buy it out and price them ALL higher to recoup from buying it in the first place.

You are blind to the facts if you do not think this would happen.

Dude, thats a nice theory... But I know for a fact, it doesn't work that way in real Practice...

as for the 1st part: I would only "buy" an item I had an abundence of "only" if it was discounted "enough"... If it was only discounted like 10 gp, I wouldn't even consider it... I think that would be kinda foolish on my part... and especialy if my "abundence" wasn't selling very fast, in other words it would be a "Bad" investment, no profit to gain, so why do it? When there is surplus, that means "no Sales" or "No Demand for" that item... or it's common and/or over priced...

A 25% discount would make me think twice about turning the deal down... At 50% discount, I don't think twice, I buy before someone esle does... and I have hesitated looking at an item on WoW and lost the oppertunity to buy... and I have lost many a'bid to ppl buying at a high price, whereas I won't...

Dude, that's why it called a "free market"...

Buyers can "freely" buy anything they can afford and only they, know how much they are willing to pay...

Sellers can "freely" sell for whatever price they choose, but I think they take a "Gamble" on doing so... If the price is too high, the "buyer" won't buy... and he ends up with a surplus gathering dust... If the price is too low, your competitors may or may not buy you out, before another buyer does... either way you end up with a shortage of the item and no more sales...

Who cares? If you freely discounted the item to sell it, who cares, who buys it? Your competitor or another buyer... You made the sale, so walk away a "happy camper" and stop complaining about "what the other guy" did after they bought your item...

You got money in your pocket now, so go spend it on something.... hehe...

and the 2nd part: I take it that you have never studied Economics before or you wouldn't make such a statement...

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Take Starbucks as an example. I like Starbucks coffee. But I used to love this one coffee shop when I was in college. It was a small moms and pops store. But Starbucks popped up across the street and drove them out of business.

I believe the same would happen here....

Dude, you left out a bunch of facts and came to the wrong conclussion...

You forgot to mention the fact that prior to Starbucks openning, the Cafe had been the only "Cafe" for miles around... and was doing Business before the Collage openned...

They offered Booth style sit down Dining with waitress... along with counter seating... They have a Breakfast, lunch & dinner menu that hasn't changed in like 15 years, all good foods too... and they have an exellent Cook too... But the place has gotten raggedy over the years...

Now Starbucks moves in across the street, and you say "the Cafe was put outa business"...

Wrong conclussion, Dude...

The Cafe owner made the free choice, to close up the Business... Instead of competing with Starbucks... The Cafe owner had sometime to watch as Starbucks was being built, to do some research as to how much it would cost him to modernize his Business form...

In order for the Cafe owner to compete, they would have to invest alot in their Business...

-ReModel the place to new condition...
-Change their BLD menu to Latta'Grandes & Buns & Cookies...
-Invest in equipement/stock to make Latta'Grandes...
-Trash & take a loss on all existing food stocks..
-Convert from Waitresses to Line ordering Self serve...
-Fire the Cook..
-Get used to charging $5.00 per cup of coffee, $4.50 for buns... (who would have thought someone would pay that much?)...

Basicly the Cafe owner had been doing Business for a long time and just passed it to the next generation of merchants...

Instead of investing more, to compete... and stay ahead of the game... He looked at the Profits he's made over the years and decided to retire...

The Collage must have been small, not to have had enough students to support both Businesses... and I bet if you looked today, the Building that was once the Cafe has been demolished and a Denny's resterant has openned... Right across the street from the now raggedy Starbucks... and Both are thrieving...

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
It's a game.

This gets put in and it becomes a job.

(Yes, I know, people would still play the game for the game itself, others though would do what you're talking about just for the $$$ which is a big reason why there is scripting/exploiting/etc.)

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

zelzar

zelzar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
I've Played WoW since beta (Not trying to sound cool either), I was Hardcore into UO as well, the AH would serve of Worsening the Community as a whole, I mean UO is a Game of Community and I know the argument is "They Can see the name of the person is they are buying from" But I remember playing UO and there was a guy I bought Regs from constantly Going out of my way to his house, and I would see him stocking regs at time, and I would have a Great Chat with him! AH is just another way of Unpersonlizing UO... That my Opinion about it, I agree with Dip about it, Its great for WoW, and Games of that Magnitude, but Not UO, WoW isn't about a Community as much as it is about Leveling and Getting the LEWTS that Make you Epic...

Plus Some people have great Placings for their Homes, Like outside of Dungeons and such so People Who ran out of regs or Bandages, can shop there, and Its smart even if the prices are high, Its smart Marketting... I remember Going to Houston, TX a couple weeks ago and There was a part where we hadn't seen a gas Station for miles, and then we see this one lone 24hr Gas station and the Price was insane, but he knew he could get away with it as he was Miles away of Other Gas Stations around!

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
And don't forget a big portion as to why some people like/play the game.

Customizable housing.

This would kill Vendor Houses and there would be no use in decorating/designing anything other than a square plot with "containers" (vendors) for the auction.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

And don't forget a big portion as to why some people like/play the game.

Customizable housing.

This would kill Vendor Houses and there would be no use in decorating/designing anything other than a square plot with "containers" (vendors) for the auction.

Dude, What does "Customized" housing got to do with it?

-There are "Vendor Malls" right at this very moment that are nothing but an 18x18 plot with 50 vendors standing around "lagging" the area out... I hope you know how long it takes to "click" through 50 vendor inventories, "Vendor Look" only floods the screen with 50 packs all at once... you still have to click all the sub packs, then close each one...

-as far as Killing "vendor malls", I hope it does... But with "freedom" to choose remaining, I dought that would happen all over everywhere... Guilds & Pay sites, will still want/need to condense all their stuff in a single local area... its just that with a vendor search "Location, Location" is no longer a pre-requesite for Selling/Buying...

-No need to rely on foot traffic, No need to mark/drop runes everywhere every 4hours... No need to stand for hours "spamming" at the Bank, trying to find a Buyer... Who knows when they'll be on, if at all today... The alternative is to place the item for sale on a Vendor and "Hope" it sells before you need to feed your vendor Gold... If its a High priced item your paying through the nose per/day... At the very least an Auction Style sales, would take its fee after it sells... and here again the "Seller" has the "option" to "Auction or Buy" pricing...

IMO, its a Win, Win for Buyers/Sellers... and Yes, it will revolutionize commerce from that point forwards... at least for UO... Other games already have it and their Markets are Fast paced too... a complete success, IMO...

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

Dude, What does "Customized" housing got to do with it?

Ask that to the Vendor House owners, they'll give you an answer or two.

*calling Baldguy, you should be all over this!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm disappointed in you!*

While you're asking the Vendor House owners what "customized" housing has to do with anything, make sure you take a stop by the Auction House owners too, this idea would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Oh wait, the actual player run auctions would be useless too, make that 3 birds.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
I think it *could* be good for all *if* executed correctly...

I for one don't necessarily need to see the prices on other vendors, just need to know where I can buy an item that has ***** property...
If the vendor has the searched for item, I *would* want to see the prices on that specific vendor, so I don't have to search all his containers, though.

I can do the legwork myself... If I need something quick, I may opt to pay the price of the first item found.
If I have some time, I may opt to go vendor hopping to find the cheapest one...

Just my 2 GP
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
All this will accomplish is another game within a game.

Unfortunately this game is making somebody rich in real life, and the somebody is not you the normal joe player.

The new game will be buying up all of the cheap resources at the last remaining little mom and pop shops and bring them into the big resource sellers at a higher price.

Think it will de-centralize Luna? Wrong. It will make it simpler for the big resource sellers to make Luna fatter.

It will make your shopping easier, and IMHO will inflate it for you conveniently at the same time.

Rashad_FwD

Rashad_FwD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
the only ones that stand to loose are the ones that rent spots on their luna houses for insane weekly rates..

an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.. its pixels.. period.

as far as someone turning this into a job and making money off of it, they need banned.. period.

the economy is broken.. has been since AoS - age of smelting.. the market was flooded with 1 mil checks.. people bought gold for cash, gold that had no right existing in the first place.. doesnt anyone else see a problem with someone complaining about not being able to make transactions of over 125mil?.. where did this money come from?.. i dont see where 'normal' game play can yeild that kind of gold.. and to be convinced, i need real secerios with real numbers.

auction houses work for WoW and DDO just fine.. and would work for UO as well.. maybe luna can be used for housing instead of the blight on the landscape that it is today.

cash sales should have been dealt with years ago.. its too late to fix uo's economy so to me, its a moot point.. just make shopping simpler for the common player..

people can argue the luna vendor house thing all they want.. with the existing searchable websites out there, the only thing luna is, is a place where the rich get richer.. and the poor just pay more..

Lady Treasure Isle

Lady Treasure Isle

Proprietor of Treasured Goods Shoppe and Library, PaxOku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I think it's a great idea. It would bring customers back to shops that are located outside Luna (yes, there are such things!), and yes, it would bring prices down to a sane level, which is a good thing in my opinion.

I've been running a shop since 1999 on my shard, not in Luna, and I've done okay. I'm not ultra wealthy, but that's okay. My goal in the game is to have fun, not have a full bank box, and I love running my shop.

Years ago when GM quality goods were actually sought after and there were shops all over the land instead of a few based in Luna, it was a lot more fun to travel around and find new shops. The economy was more balanced, prices weren't insane. With the population decline in the game, and the density of shops in Luna, shop owners in other parts of the land are giving up their shops. Who can compete with the ease of shopping in Luna? People are too lazy to shop around for good deals.

Bring the craft of running a shop back to the shopkeepers around the land. Let us compete with Luna for customers. Let us show the player population that you don't have to pay insane prices to get what you're looking for.

Bright blessings!

Posted Image Please "view" my eggs and hatchlings and release my inner dragons!

Star

Star

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
I just got flamed in ideas and suggestions cos i suggested this. I think its a brilliant idea.

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
I cannot say yea or nay because I still don't have a handle on the vendor system but I do know that the best place to find items is Luna I also know the worst prices on all items is in Luna.

If there is anyway to find quality items for acceptable prices other then this Auction system I would love to hear your ideas.:huh

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I would like it... I am not all that good at selling stuff mostly because i dont know what it goes for. When i sell to people i know i just tell them just give me what you think it is worth if they are a friend. Way i see it friends dont rip each other off, for other people i have to ask people what stuff is worth i have tried to sell sleeve before that would sell for like 10 mil and people are like 500k when i saw some one a vender when i was looking for a few mil with ok resist but not as good of mods. but like i said i would like it just for the fact that i could see what stuff is worth. Put something in it that you could go like +/- in the thing you are looking for like if you want a ring that has 10 DCI but you realy only need 5 to max out you could be 10 DCI +/- 5 and it would show all rings that had that on it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: auction, interface, search, shard, style, vendor