Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

"Elf Only" Property

- - - - - elf only property

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests
As posted on UO Stratics:
Thread: Ando = 3 Cheers

Player: My suggestion is to ditch the elf only or introduce ceratin "human only" items and artifacts to add some variety and choices.

CatHat: Yeah- thats an interesting idea -

What about this as an alternative -
If you wear an item and its for the wrong race, you suffer a small bonus % penalty because of an improper fit. At least then if you have a very good elf or human outfit - you'd only take a minor penalty and maintain the look you want and stay somewhat in the ruleset ideology.

Just seeing what you all think.

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I quite like cathats idea, bring in human only stuff and run it like he says.

Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests
Aye I thought it was a cool idea. Although i think it would be too complicated. I mean well, what properties would you lose? Armor properties? (Ex: Resists, LMC, LRC etc) or what?

Talon

Talon

Offical Cookie Taster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I like his thinking and in RL if your clothes don't fit you may suffer a decrease in speed and movement :)
Posted Image

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
*sigh*
Yes but are we really supposed to beleve that Elves are so stupid they don't know how to measure?
Or that all elves are the same hight weight and flat chested that they mass produce their clothes in one size?
I'm sorry but I wouldn't buy something that didn't fit. untill we are allowed short fat people taaallllll skinny people big booties boobs flat chested or big feeted chars one size seemingly fits all.

We know how to make a studded leather tunic in 5 seconds flat but we only know how to cut it in one size? I don't think so.

I say take the Silly Elves only tag off and leave the idea of human only in the trash.

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
Hm, sounds kinda racist. Will we soon have taverns that say elf only?

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

....in RL if your clothes don't fit you may suffer a decrease in speed and movement

Or at least some serious chaffing.

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

CatHat

CatHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hmm- maybe a Tailor or master craftsman or blacksmith could remove that pesky "ELF only" tag or something.

Make it a custom fit like real life.

*shrugs*
  • Minotaur2k likes this

Posted Image
Dave "CatHat" Brown

Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests
Yeah, I think that would be cool. A certain recepie allowing a tailor or smith to remove elf only. But there is a chance they might fail according to their skill levem or something.

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Yeah like enhancing... no.. wait... i dont want to lose 99.9% of things i remove the tag from :(

Eowyna Rohanna

Eowyna Rohanna

I may not be the queen of everything, but I'm the duchess of

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
Guess I am in the minority here, but I LIKE the idea of elf-only items. Of course we also need some human-only items. Why bother to play an elf if it's not different from a human in any respect.

I'd love to see other races in the game with their own orc-only or dwarf-only items. I'm for diversity in game play. Make your choice of race MEAN something. But I agree that each race should have some special items otherwise, people only become elves because they have more armor choices. As an rper, that bugs me.

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Guess I am in the minority here, but I LIKE the idea of elf-only items. Of course we also need some human-only items. Why bother to play an elf if it's not different from a human in any respect.

I'd love to see other races in the game with their own orc-only or dwarf-only items. I'm for diversity in game play. Make your choice of race MEAN something. But I agree that each race should have some special items otherwise, people only become elves because they have more armor choices. As an rper, that bugs me.

I agree with that, i liked the idea of removing tags with tailors, if there were human only items id be even happier. Wish they would introduce new races too along with that tag.

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
I dunno. Anything thats crafte by a player should definitely be for either race. You figure the tailor would be able to make whatever they wanted...

If they were going to introdue other items that were race-specific, they should make the stats of the item reflect the race. This would either bridge the gap (for all you equality fanatics) or increase the gap between races.

I personally think it should increase. From every piece of Fantasy that I have ever read, if a human and a Dwarf go at it with clubs, the dwarf will come out on top every time, you know?

I can see the draw of make everything equal for PvPs sake, I really can, but when a human is beating an elf with a bow (mind you, both equipped with the same exact items), something isnt right.

Just my two pennines :)

BTW, Im catching up Thrad! 1k baby!

*brandishes badge*

Posted Image

Zynia

Zynia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Why can't humans have a pair of leather gloves as Stitcher's Mittens?

It would be fairly similar to the faction item crafting gump pop ups. Instead of picking what hue you'd like on the item it'd be the two graphics you have to chose between, when choosin say, leather gloves they'd recieve a 'Humans Only' tag. When chosing the leaf gloves, they'd recieve and 'Elves Only' tag.

Santi

Santi

El Mero Mero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
I don't like that idea at all. Just make the property useable to all. As far as I can see, there is no difference in stature between elves and humans in game. If you are going to add that sort of penalty then make the elves smaller and thinner and perhaps add more variation to character appearance in general. Solution, let anyone use the stuff. I have never suffered a decrease in movement or speed when I wore clothes that were a little larger or a little smaller. This is not to say that I would be able to put on a size 5 shoe when I wear a 9, but are we going to be that specific in game?

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Everyone wants to be able to use everything, and they can, just not with that character.

That's the way everything should be, even the UBWS should have some type of negative effect (like Magery - XX) to an extent.

CatHat's idea would be nice, as long as the penalties aren't too severe. Maybe take out the bonus of being X for wearing a Y related item. That might be too harsh for some people.

But something like that probly won't happen because UO is filled with people that want everything for the price of nothing.

Santi

Santi

El Mero Mero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
There is no "price of nothing" going on here. The price we have paid goes beyond a simple matter of race specific clothing...that is cosmetic and the proposed solution is cosmetic. Have you ever tried on a pair of pants made in Japan, Mexico, or anywhere else? I assure you, you suffered no penalties...even if they were the opposite gender's pants. The introduction of the elf just brought more items into the game for players to figure out...why can't a human char use these items?

My point is, if there is going to be a penalty on humans wearing elf clothing, then there should be a reciprocal penalty for elf characters wearing human clothing....or equipment. Or, there should be no penalties or restrictions associated with it at all.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Sure there is, you just said it yourself.

They created elf only items, and since you have a human, he/she can't wear it. Plain and simple, but now you want your human to wear an elf only item. Simple solution, don't wear the item, or make your character an elf.

The UO crowd doesn't agree, so now they grumble and the UO dev team has to please the crowd, take time out from A, B, and C to work on D, then the UO crowd wonders why A, B, and C get pushed back.

Disclaimer: Don't bring RL into a VW.

Disclaimer #2: This isn't directed towards you specifically Traj, when I say "you" or "your" it's meant for any and all who feel that way.

Gala

Gala

I Poke Dots

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
i always thought it was silly elf only items can have nightsight...

Posted Image

Santi

Santi

El Mero Mero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
The UO Dev team should appease the players...we pay for them to appease us. It is called a monthly fee...that is another price we pay...nothing in game is free. By making it eld only they force people to upgrade and then make take on this ridiculous quest to wear/use the additional items. Instead of focusing on actually improving the game they are adding more garbage to confuse the players. We have already decided that the game is too complicated for new users and even poses a challenge to seasoned verterans of the game. To continue to use these items as a way to force you to upgrade or not be able to use certain items or access certain areas is a slap in the face. Do I want to be able to access everything in the game...you damb well better believe I do. And nothing that has been presented in game has been free, and I am not upset with the performance of the Developers...the deeper issues I am talking about is the constant change and it never seems to truly fix any issues players have been wishing to have addressed. And of course, there are always those that will be appeased and those that will not, differing opinions just like the one we are having here in this thread. There should be no "Elf only" anything.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: elf only, property