Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Draconi, Jeremy, Any Devs at all - How's Your Memory??

- - - - - devs draconi jeremy memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
source

Ok, this situation is really bugging me and , as yet, I have been unable to get an satisfactory explanation.

Why Does KR chew up so much Memory??

Here's a Comparison pic, showing my system running KR, Oblivion, 3DMark06, Dark Crusade and the enemy, World of Warcraft......why is it that KR wants 3 times the memory usage as any of them, and 5 times the demand of WoW?

Posted Image

I ran the full benchmarking test with 3dMark06, ran WoW for over an hour, Oblivion and Darkcrusade around 40 minutes each and you can see the Peak memory usage. KR I ran for about 20 minutes, just running around a few dungeons, Luna City, Britain etc...and the numbers kept climbing.
I could have run it up higher, since my machine has plenty of memory to spare, but I think the above is sufficient to get the idea, yes?

Don't get me wrong either, I like KR a lot, I want it to succeed and it does run really well on this machine. But you'd want it to as well, since this machine is right up there with the best High-End Gaming PCs and I had it built this way with KR in mind. It just seems incredible to me that KR can use so much memory when compared to anything else, and surely this has to be telling you that there's a problem.

So please, what's the story here?

Fyi, here's my system specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6850 - 3.0 GHz
Memory: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF - 2.0Gb Kit
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce 8800 GTS 640Mb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3320620A 7200.10 - 320 GB
DirectX: 9.0c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I said in the other thread about memory, there is a leak that's fixed in the build coming on Thursday, having to do with the way system chat is handled.

E. Jeremy Dalberg
UO Community Coordinator
EA Mythic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dammmnn!!!

Still havn't played KR, not sure if i ever will ithor. I see it going the way of the Dodo bird and 3rd Dawn.

Just fix 2d =]

~~~~

Run your tests again after Thursday's patch and see how they come out.

~~~~

Still havn't played KR

Good to know you give things a fair shot or consideration before dismissing them out of hand.

~~~~

Jeremy, I hope you're right on that and you can bet I'll be giving the client a thorough workout after the build goes live.
And I'll be the first to congratulate you all on fixing this major problem, if it works out that way. It will make a lot of people very happy, I'm sure, especially this guy!! .

The thing is tho, I am already running KR with system chat off as it is. I have tried it with different settings throughout, Windowed, Fullscreen, Animations, Shadows On & Off, Particles High & Low...increased cache sizes, decreased, you name it. I get these kinds of numbers regardless of any settings I make.
I doubt very much I'm the only one it's happening to and I do think it's causing a lot of the problems that many people are having, especially those that are close to or just above Minimum Requirements.
I don't experience any noticeable lag, and the game draws really well, runs fast and smooth, but with my system you wouldn't expect anything less, would you?

That's not my issue here anyway, I know I'm ok to run the client on my new machine, but I also know what it's like to try to run it on a low-end machine, which I was doing until I got this beast about 6 weeks ago. A high percentage of players would not have the specs I have and if KR is eating up all your memory, it's going to crash the system sooner rather than later.

Whether this next build fixes the issue or not, and I surely hope it does, I think a decent explanation of the issue, causes & cures etc is warranted..I'd love to hear one please?

~~~~

There are a whole bunch of optimization issues being worked on, so I'm certain this particular one won't solve everything. I'm also not entirely sure if it will show a difference if you'd previously been running with the system chat log hidden, although I'm curious to find out. But rest assured, this patch is not at all comprehensive. It's just what was ready to go in time to make it, since we were patching for the Halloween stuff anyway.

E. Jeremy Dalberg
UO Community Coordinator
EA Mythic

~~~~
Hehe, rest assured I'll post my results as soon as I possibly can.

I like to be clear about my opinions on KR as well, in case anyone wonders. I am a strong supporter of KR, I think the client is potentially great and now that I can actually run it very well, I love it. And I also believe it is by far the best way to take UO forward, and I am awaiting the release of Stygian Abyss eagerly.

I also think the dev team has bent over backwards to satisfy all the demands of the naysayers, 2D-ophiles and other KR-phobes, and are doing a great job generally, with little credit given...and I admit I have been guilty of that omission too often myself.

Yes, there's still bugs aplenty to fix and more additions to the UI, macro options, artwork touch-ups and such are still needed, as well as the memory problem I have highlighted here.
However, I also believe that if the devs weren't caught between a rock and a hard place by trying to maintain the 2D client, to keep a fair sized chunk of the current player base relatively happy, and build a completely new client simultaneously, then KR would be a lot further advanced than it is currently and the next expansion closer than it currently must be.
The further distraction of these mini events like Halloween and the expected delivery of various trinkets and a mass mob slaughter-fest, 10th Anniversary celebrations and the fast approaching Holiday season all do very little to help the production of the new KR client, tho they do give some pleasure to the assembled masses for a short while and help stem the flow of negative whining temporarily.
I'd bet, to a man and/or woman, the dev team would rather be left alone to get on with the main game here, that is making KR as good as it can be as quickly as possible and getting the next expansion on the shelves than messing about with Candy and Pumpkins and Daemons, oh my!

Keep at it, Devs...despite what you may read in too many negative posts on these forums, there are many us on your side, each one hoping that, in the end, we have a UO that is well placed to survive and grow for many more years to come.

~~~~

We are happy with every fix getting trown at us :)

~~~~

Yes, we are...KR has already come a long way.

~~~~

KR should have already come along way. All the hype and 'this is the best thing since sliced bread' and KR is nothing but a big disappiontment. The public released version didn't even qualify itself enough to be called a BETA version of the program.

While I am on it, memory leaks are a sign of sloppy programming. It's that simple. I've been programming for 15 years, it's not that magical of a thing, really.

As for a game like WoW using up so much less memory, that's GOOD programming. Blizzard, unlike some companies puts out quality. Even delaying the release until it's right.

Unlike others that release it completely public in a not-even-beta yet format.

Go pick up a copy of the RPG Everquest PS2 games, and then play KR, you'll see a striking resemblance. Especially the whole gliding while moving thing.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few good things about KR (which all could have bene implemented in the normal client), but all and all it's been a huge, not well handled flop.

~~~~

I also think the dev team has bent over backwards to satisfy all the demands of the naysayers, 2D-ophiles and other KR-phobes, and are doing a great job generally, with little credit given...and I admit I have been guilty of that omission too often myself.

I stopped reading your post right there. So often people who like KR will take time out to group people who.......*gasp* actually LIKE the 2D client *release* into your stated sterotypes:

1)naysayers

2) 2D-ophiles (like pedophiles? Is that what you are referencing here?)

3) other KR-phobes

But there is the fourth , mostly unmentioned group

4) People who like the old school look.

As far as

bent over backwards to satisfy all the demands

God forbid we actually ask that in improving UO you don't further screw up the client we like and possibly fix problems in the overall game that affect BOTH clients before moving forward. Is the really too much to ask?

KR has split the community. This was bad overall.

~~~~

KR should have already come along way. All the hype and 'this is the best thing since sliced bread' and KR is nothing but a big disappiontment. The public released version didn't even qualify itself enough to be called a BETA version of the program.

As for a game like WoW using up so much less memory, that's GOOD programming. Blizzard, unlike some companies puts out quality. Even delaying the release until it's right.

Unlike others that release it completely public in a not-even-beta yet format.

Go pick up a copy of the RPG Everquest PS2 games, and then play KR, you'll see a striking resemblance. Especially the whole gliding while moving thing.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few good things about KR (which all could have bene implemented in the normal client), but all and all it's been a huge, not well handled flop.

Oh shush already,pleaase ?.

Jeremy has already said 'try it out after the patch'

If folk dont want to then fine,just go play what ever game works for you on your PC and leave others to keep trying.

We are none of us stupid enough to not know by now the 'problems' with KR,and it doesnt rerquire people to keep repeatedly trashing it over and over.

When the Devs post and say some thing along the lines of

'Well we cant fix anything else,we give up.'

THEN you can all start the assassinations :P

till then please find some thing more interesting to post about.

While I am on it, memory leaks are a sign of sloppy programming. It's that simple. I've been programming for 15 years, it's not that magical of a thing, really.

Yea,and I have given birth to 3 children,doesnt mean I did it the same way as every one before and after me

Nor does my apple pie taste the same as my grandmothers,though she gave me the recipe :P

~~~~

We are none of us stupid enough

I lol'ed

~~~~

We are just here for your amusement ?

Good,at least you get some thing out of UO ...:P

~~~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
wow thats alot of memory
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Im a 2d-Ophile...Im so ashamed I should be on dateline's

"How to catch an Old Skool Gamer"
Power is not given, it is taken!

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
That is nuts on the memory I hope they get that fixed

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Fang

Fang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Didn't UO have memory leak issues back when it was first released?

Sera Leone - Drum beating fighter/bard

Kase'l - Shovel carrying craftsman

Cyric Wolfsbane - Fencer extrordinaire

Lake Austin Shard

-Without love, we are nothing more than Strangers in Paradise-

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: devs, draconi, jeremy, memory