Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Invasions 2007 - some SERIOUS spoilers at the end of this post, so beware !

- - - - - 2007 beware end invasions post serious spoilers

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Various interesting things surfaced across on Stratics - I'll hide the spoilers WAY down the post, since I know they upset people and I want to make sure they have every chance to avoid them if they don't want to see them - but from a couple of posts in U Hall, including some from Draconi, this Halloween's events are going to be much more important than usual, and I'm fairly sure some of us want to be ready - so, plenty of space first to keep the information reasonably difficult to 'stumble' on.

OK, think that's enough space... to summarise, Ultima 'history' is coming back with a vengance, in a way UO lore fans may find excellent news (I certainly do!) - Demons are going to destroy Magincia. The really interesting bit - Draconi's dropping pretty clear hints that the destruction will be PERMANENT...

The post on the testing starts :

Halloween 2007 Events Testing !
Jeremy Dalberg 12 Oct 2007 21:03:35 EST
Hello everyone, and welcome to our annual testing cycle for our Halloween events! Over the years we’ve had many an opportunity to capture your sweet tooths with tantalizing treats and shiver your spines with terrifying tricks, but this year, ah this year – we have something special indeed.

There will be an invasion, of course, and tricks and treats and all things between. There will be a Shard of the Dead, and live events on your own home shards. But beyond that, we’ve prepared something that will shake the foundations of Britannia to the very core. Hyperbole aside, we will place in your hands a task of momentous importance: one to lose at your shard’s peril.

But enough with words. Let the testing commence! Allow me to describe our initial slate of activities:

“TC1” will be immediately renamed to “Halloween 2007” and published with our initial testing materials
Daemon Invasion of Magincia
Travel to Magincia by Moongate and other magical means will be disabled
Players logging back into Magincia for the first time since the publish will be teleported to safety in Trinsic
Travel to Magincia will only be available by ship, or by “sailing” with the military at the Trinsic docks to aid in the advancing invasion
New monsters, new rewards
There will not be a client publish until next week, please do not report “Cliloc” errors when text is missing
There may be higher than usual lag in Magincia for the duration of our tests.
Count Draconula will be making appearances throughout the testing period, and also providing more information as testing advances.

“Velcome!” – Count Draconula

Following that, amongst other things, in the 'Leave Magincia destroyed' thread, Skrag asked

"As I'm sure Draconi is aware, the destruction of Magincia by demons for it's prideful ways is part of the old-school Ultima lore. When Magincia first appeared in Ultima IV (1985), it was as a wrecked city full of lost souls and undead.

Having Magincia permanently destroyed in UO would be a nice way of bringing some Ultima continuity into the game. It would let us "be there" for an event we first heard about twenty-odd years ago.

Plus, I mean, come on. If anything, we have too many cities. We can afford to lose one. After the event is over, make Magincia look all wrecked and put some spawn in there. A few liches, a few daemons, a smattering of lesser junk. Maybe a balron somewhere in the middle.

Draconi's answer? "OK"

For the full info on what we 'know' now, read these two threads on U Hall -I've linked to show all the posts in the threads, so these may be long pages, as you'll appreciate, there's a LOT of comment on this! :

News : Halloween 2007 Events Testing

http://boards.strati...&what2=postlist

Devs: Leave Magincia destroyed forever.

http://boards.strati...=5&o=31&fpart=1

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Thanks for sharing!

Glad to hear they're shaking things up, hope stuff like this continues.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

abracadabra

abracadabra

Mindless Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Does destroying Magincia also remove our chance to get the cloak of Humility from Gareth the Emissary quest?
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
*slaps forehead*

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

Rather depends on what is meant in Jeremy's paragraph -

"There will be an invasion, of course, and tricks and treats and all things between. There will be a Shard of the Dead, and live events on your own home shards. But beyond that, we’ve prepared something that will shake the foundations of Britannia to the very core. Hyperbole aside, we will place in your hands a task of momentous importance: one to lose at your shard’s peril. "

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Majere

Majere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
ooooooh scary
"Siege is the best form of UO one can play today..."

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Destroying magnicia? Wouldn't that kinda hurt the RP guild of magnicia on europe? Would kinda suck to have to move town because yours got sacked by daemons?
Power is not given, it is taken!

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Would make for some good RP though.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts

Destroying magnicia? Wouldn't that kinda hurt the RP guild of magnicia on europe? Would kinda suck to have to move town because yours got sacked by daemons?

Luckily we dont actually have a guild that is based in Magincia presently.

Its a close call though as there have been one or two 'claims' in this past 12 mths.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Reading about the people having an impact on their shard. Perhaps the destruction depends on player involvement?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Isnt there a guild like Cove and Vesper called Magnicia?
Power is not given, it is taken!

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

Reading about the people having an impact on their shard. Perhaps the destruction depends on player involvement?

Didn't we say the same thing about the Ophidian Invasion?

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Didn't we say the same thing about the Ophidian Invasion?

this time though, it looks like it might be true. Reading through the comments Draconi has made, and what's been seen on TC, they have put an awful lot of thought into this one. I've a feeling it might actually be down to us this time to decide what happens, which I'm all in favour of!

Ghazghkull

Ghazghkull

Warboss [Orcs]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Their was a guild in Magincia on Europa [Mgc] They closed up shop though as the leader left and nothing was happening. That's what I heard anyhow. Though they probably held the title for the fastest growing roleplay guild. The only issue now is in Felucca we have certain items placed by old EM's, check stratics thread.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[Orcs] Guild Master [Europa]

Orcs Website | Orcs Forum

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
@=cadethepagan

Isnt there a guild like Cove and Vesper called Magnicia?

Cove has a guild called Baronship of Cove [ BoC-on Europa] who's main area for roleplay is west of Coves main gates [ if you are stood inside the gates coming out ]

Vesper has its own town guild also [-V- on Europa]

If you are stood facing Vesper bank doors,the main roleplay area [known as Swaggersland on Europa] can be found to the West .You will need to cross a bridge or two depending which route you take.

Swaggersland can be found North along the road if you are passing the cemetery,and is around the beached area.

@=Silverfoot

Perhaps the destruction depends on player involvement?

As Aurelius replies,yes it is correct that THIS time each shard will hold its fate in the players hands.It all sounds very exciting,and I cant wait to see whats ahead.

@=Ghazghkull

Their was a guild in Magincia on Europa [Mgc] They closed up shop though as the leader left and nothing was happening.

Yes [Mgc] was made up of a group of dissilussioned players who wanted to branch out on their own and form a 'new' town guild system.

Sadly OOC got in the way of a lot of things and it fizzled out.

As for the town being destroyed,I am excited to see how this impacts the Roleplaying Communities.

I have for a long while now,been trying to get guilds to work and interact together despite IC differences ,which cause them to be on opposite sides.

This could just be the very thing we need,to put that into play. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
*UPDATE* contains spoilers

On Stratics a poster reports

Just after posting that Magincia has bond demons tonight instead of DFs what should show up but BOTH in the last few minutes. A little overwhelming...DFs and their bones and bone demons....with all the other spawn thrown in. Wanna fight tonight? Go to Magincia.

....When I wrote the above post I was standing at Brit Bank for safety. When I came back I was a ghost. Dammmn there is a DF running around Brit Bank and no telling where else. It is the end of the world........?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Get the BlackRock!!

~~~~

Yesh... get the blackrock...

Tim "Draconi" Cotten -
UO Designer -
EA Mythic

~~~~

What Magincia on Halloween shard is over-run by is total idiots that blocked the entire island with boats, so that it's basically impossible to get on the island, unless you want to spend a couple of hours trying to get ashore. About 1 in 25 actually left their boats unlocked so can get across them, the rest are the typical TC mentality brain-dead.

I think the dev team needs to find the idiot there that thought this would be a good idea, kill him/her and then add alternate methods of getting to Magincia before this event goes to production shards.

~~~~

I thought there was another way to get there via the trinsic docks?

~~~~

LOL... Go to Trinsic docks and run aboard the ship there. Insta-teleport to Magincia dock.

~~~~

Unless I recall wrong, I think I remember reading Draconi saying that they have a few tricks up their sleeves in regards to the problems of boats blocking access for having been left there by careless players.....

Are we about to see Sea Serpents eating up parked boats along the shoreline?

~~~~

*ahem*
(~~ 46 minutes earlier)

Draconi_EA

Evening everyone!

Later tonight/early this morning we'll be doing another publish to 'Halloween 2007' to test some more stuff.

So far, we've managed to collect a *huge* assortment of boats around the island - which is perfect, since now we're going to test our "setting ships on fire to keep Britannia's waters beautiful" system.

Ahem.

Anyways, also, there's been mention that lag becomes very intense as you approach the island by boat, but is fine once you're on land. I'm pleased to announce that the publish will be something like 60% more efficient with the way it's handling dynamic objects. Also, lag near shores should virtually disappear.

E.g. We tested the worst case yesterday by building a complete mirror of Magincia on top of itself. Now we'll do the efficient one. Whee?

Also, the invasion will extend to Felucca as well, and we'll make sure that sigil teleporting through the boat teleporters works.

Thanks, and see you in a few hours!

- Draconi

P.S. For those who were still wondering: yes, the entire city can be destroyed from ground up. Trees, buildings - the daemons will do most of it if not stopped, and you'll also have access to cannons for defense. Intentional misfires will result in a very unhappy military. Objects destroyed during the attacks may turn into "rubble" which can be carried away.

even though it IS test... was a mite surprised running my new char to the Newnew haven gate and got toasted by a lich lord .... hehehe "toll fare Strictly enforced" indeed!
AND
IF you managed to sail your boat to within sight of shore ...congrats... some reports would seem to HAVE been addressed
roll On! Draconi !

the code must flow
*morphs to mouse to travel via rubble*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

grizz

grizz

CATS Legendary String Plucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Finally, some new content.....WOOT!WOOT!
Who cares if people are impacted by new content. That's the point. What, is it President Bush's fault that the Demons are attacking Magincia. Is that town full of poor folk that are dependent upon the Sosarian Welfare System. Too bad! Pick up an axe or a shovel and get to work. Stop whining and fix your own situation......Stop blaming everything on the government, oops, I mean the Devs, and take some damned responsibility for yourselves.
HOLY CRAP, I WENT ON A DAMN TEAR...SORRY FOLKS.
I wish the town in question was LUNA.....That would be freakin' awesome. They could start with the bank.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"If the world was flat I'd grind the edge."
-Ray Kappo

Cerwin Vega

Cerwin Vega

Legendary Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Sounds good to me but if their are gonna be new monsters then maybe they should live in the destroyed city.

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
really cool down with magincia hello demons magincia needs overhaul anyway
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

malk

malk

"Now with Vitamin R!"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
magincia is the stronghold for council of mages (factions)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2007, beware, end, invasions, post, serious, spoilers