Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Magery

- - - - - magery

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Knights Tavern

Knights Tavern

Bartender

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
... I'd fire magery, so people will have to walk, run, ride, sail... well, meet each other, team up to travel safely, use boats to trade and explore.

Reagents would still be needed for alchemy.

DanteSignas

DanteSignas

MOP/I^A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have been talking to some folks here at work and they play Final Fantasy 11 and they are telling me about the wait times to get to places like 5 minutes for a boat to come, then the ride is 15 minutes etc etc and they were complaining that half their time is spent traveling and its tedious.

I for one am glad that in UO we do not have to spend half our time traveling places. The good thing about UO though again is choice, if someone wanted to sail and walk/ride everywhere they are completely free to do so.

Yet another thing that makes UO awesome in my opinion.

Knights Tavern

Knights Tavern

Bartender

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hmm unless one plays UO 10 minutes a day, spending (wasting?) half of the time travelling to the next moongate shouldn't hurt.:variousb:

I'm sorry about FF players' fate but I agree, UO is about choice, and am glad to play on SP :)

Deraj

Deraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
I understand what you're going for, and I agree with the notion; that travel has been cheapened by the overabundance, cheapness, and ease of use of "magic". Unfortunately I cannot offer any ideas of my own, only because to alter or nerf methods so deeply rooted into the gameplay of (in my mind) the majority of players would be, maybe.. too bold, even for me (and I'm pretty bold, as I'm sure most know).
Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away,
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why,
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire.

Gieschen

Gieschen

Bringing RP back to mmoRPg! w0o+!!!!!!1 <

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I would do away with it too, moongates, everything. Magery cheats people out of experience imho and cheats others of their work in other skills. And if people are griping about travel time. Hah, I foot it everywhere, be it on a horse or on foot, and it really doesn't take that long to get from one side of Britannia to the other. Not to mention if just magic travel were done away with perhaps people would be more likely to interact with their neighbors and make player towns, etc. I used to think magic was okay but now I am really against it. I have one character (which I don't really play) on which I crammed carpentry, inscription, magery, med, eval, spellweav, and necro, so I could scribe and make magic items (which really has not appealed to me at all other than the BOD books).

Knights Tavern

Knights Tavern

Bartender

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Absolutely.
All has to be quick, easy, and free even, with the lrc stuff.

Taking back/away such things/skills will not be... tolerated by players.

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
Moongates Are Good Way To Tavel But Mabey Keep Them Open In Cycles Or Phases Of The Moon
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
Allow one and only one (mage) class to open gates and allow players to travel this way. Builds a dependence on the mage for travel makes magery a useful skill again (having been diminished by necro/sw).

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
Thats 2 Much Power For A Mage Should Never Leave It In The Hands Of A Indervidual Keep It Game Oriented .besides Im Sure Travel Is One Of The Smaller Problems That Need To Be Fixed
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

noixiata

noixiata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
I also like the idea, but if I didn't have the choice as you all emphasized, I would ask to get gates and runes I think. When the moongates came I thought they ruined the scenery :P but that's me.
In the beginning there were.. blablabla... If they made it slightly harder, it would be interesting, I remember asking people for gates and getting asked in the beginning, years since randoms asked me for gates.

I remember traveling in WoW used quite enough time, and you mostly did it alone without any control or choices for that matter, as most of the game.

Posted Image

"..the first lesson: that we must be
powerful, beautiful and without regret.."
- Armand

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I think a way to find out how people feel about it is for UO to have a month or so when they take away recall/gate travel and make the moongates inoperable. They could make this part of an event where the moongates get screwed up and everyone has to hoof it. That would be great so everyone got a taste of what it was like.

Im not saying take it away completely but bad things have to happen in sosaria that hinder the daily plans of players.
Power is not given, it is taken!

Gieschen

Gieschen

Bringing RP back to mmoRPg! w0o+!!!!!!1 <

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

I think a way to find out how people feel about it is for UO to have a month or so when they take away recall/gate travel and make the moongates inoperable. They could make this part of an event where the moongates get screwed up and everyone has to hoof it. That would be great so everyone got a taste of what it was like.

Im not saying take it away completely but bad things have to happen in sosaria that hinder the daily plans of players.

I like this idea, but maybe make it longer, for two months so people really got the idea, and started interacting more. Doing away with this would really test some things. And as has been stated before, I think is would be more real world like, where you have communities and then those who explore, and those who stick to one place.

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

All has to be quick, easy, and free even, with the lrc stuff.

This is my largest concern with UO. Things become easier and easier with every passing year. The lrc suits are a great example. What's next? Weapons with two or three slayer types? Mage weapons that add to your magery skill?

As I've said before...

Exactly. This reminds me of the roads. They very rarely feel the tread of any travelers feet these days. Why even bother upgrading them for KR... might as well just leave them out. Ive heard that in the early days you couldn't walk a short distance down a road without bumping into several people, now you can walk from Minoc to Trinsic and not see a single soul.

I say do away with recall and gate!

The full thread, which covers some of the same and similar topics, is here.

UO has become disturbingly "Elitist".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
maby we could have an event wear a bunch of undead attack all the towns and eat the NPC's there and all players must rely heavily on their own crafting and such and protection of their house and formulation of alliances to battle the hordes of undead that plague this post apocalyptic sosaria?

to me this sounds awsome. The towns are basically ghost towns overrun with undead monsters and players must now be self sufficient or form pacts with other players. Of course this cannot be permanent but a good scenario to last a bit.
Power is not given, it is taken!

Knights Tavern

Knights Tavern

Bartender

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
For some reason(s), events are all about killing stuff :icon_neutral:

Guest_cheater111_*

Guest_cheater111_*
  • Guests
If you say that magic takes away from player towns and interaction, then what about long ago when people interacted just fine? magic was around then... just my opinion

Deraj

Deraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
My brother and I have discussed this issue at length, and we've come up with quite possibly the most diabolical solution ever conceived (yes, you will hate me for even thinking it).

1. Give the "Mark" spell a 1 hour cool down. This is to prevent people from marking a lot of runes. But why do I not want people marking a lot of runes? This is because...

2. Runes are one-shot. This means that when you recall off a rune, the rune is lost forever. Of course, you can recall off as many runes as you'd like in any given time period, but eventually you'd "rune" out. Get it? Ahahaha.

3. Runes are either craftable and/or slightly more expensive on NPC vendors. This is to give our new one-shot runes some value.

4. As for the moongates scattered across Britannia, they must be summoned by use of an orb of the moons. Orb of the moons are not easy drops; let's say, not as easy as the old moonstones, but not as hard as glacial staves, but can be found on most monsters. Just enough that a player would feel compelled to ration his or her supply carefully.

I think the biggest benefit of the system is it provides a brand new market for runes and runebooks. Furthermore it's a strong balance between providing ways to travel large distances instantly but not making it so easy that nobody travels by foot anymore.

The big problem is that it would destroy rune libraries. Of course, this idea would never be implemented anyways, but it's nice to dream methinks.
Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away,
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why,
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magery