Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Catskills Relay for Life 2007 – Final Thoughts and a Challenge

- - - - - 2007 catskills challenge final life relay thoughts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Anne Nomilly

Anne Nomilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
On August 24, 2007, the Opening Ceremonies were held in the Catskills Relay for Life 2007. Over the next month, events were held each Friday night and all proceeds from the events were put into the American Cancer Society Fund. The ladies of the Council figured if we could raise $200 and raise awareness, we would have succeeded in our mission.

The participation from the Catskills Community was astounding to say the least. The donations to the item auction literally poured in to the point that two auctions had to be held to sell everything (over 800 items total). Monetary donations poured in as well. Six blaze Cancer Support Sashes were put on a vendor for $5 Million Gold each and sold within the first day. Other Cancer Support Sashes were sold on another vendor netting just shy of $17 Million Gold. Other sashes were handed out for donations at the various events bringing the total just from sashes to ~$26 Million Gold.

People turned out en masse to support each event and donate and share their stories. We spent much time as a shard together laughing, crying, and supporting each other. Just a few of the many stories we heard (with names removed):

“This has touched my heart and my mother's as well. Cancer has touched my life too many times, my grandfather passed away from it and my mother found it in time to get it removed, loosing her ovaries in the process.”

“I lost my mother to cancer. There is a hole in my heart that will never be filled. She was my best friend and I miss her so badly. I live in her house and I keep expecting to see her around every corner.”

“My best friend died to breast cancer. She was my biker buddy, my sister. She found it too late. She never got to see her first wedding anniversary. Her picture sits beside me where I can see her daily but I miss her.”

“Both of my parents were just diagnosed with cancer.”

“A dear friend’s husband was just diagnosed this week with pancreatic cancer.”

And on the stories went showing how this horrible diagnosis has touched almost everyone. This truly crossed all barriers of race, religion, sex, guild, alliance and age. I don’t think any of us have ever been more amazed or touched more deeply by what happened here this past month.

So what did we do? And I mean WE as a community. While it’s true that the Relay for Life Council and the Order of the Dragon Alliance coordinated these events, make no mistake, this COMMUNITY did this. Each and every one of YOU made this happen. When the final accounting is done, the total gold raised for the American Cancer Society is:

456, 145, 244 UO Gold

We are estimating that, once this is converted, the donation should be in the neighborhood of $1020. After the donation is made, I will scan the receipt and post it so everyone can see the final total and what YOU did.

Now, as for the challenge part of this post. If this is what ONE shard can do, what more can ALL the shards do? The 2007 Catskills Relay for Life Council hereby issues a challenge to each shard in Sosaria to get involved in their own communities. One of our mottos has been, Let’s Make the “C” Word No Scarier Than the Common Cold. Together, the UO Community can make this happen. You CAN make a difference!

Posted Image

Moony

Moony

Legendary Sampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Wow.... amazing, truly amazing...
GM in: Dying and Running Away, then Dying

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2007, catskills, challenge, final, life, relay, thoughts