Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Going back in time...has anyone else done this?

- - - - - back timehas

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Terrance

Terrance

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
I realized recently that one aspect of UO that I miss from the past is how houses were decorated. Basically, I mean before the Age of Sandals..and more recently, before Mondain's Legacy.

I've built customs. A few spectactular ones in fact..but I always come back to the classic designs as they are special to me. Back before 18x18 marble boxes dominated the landscape. So I've kept to the classic designs anymore.

But decor has changed as well, and with that, how decor is used.

Decorations from before AoS, when some cotton, a music stand and some creativity gave you a fruit tree. From before arties, marties tarties and mlarties. Before Tokuno dyes and frostwood.

When braziers, tall candelabras and hanging armor were only seen in an NPC's shop or a private collection, and when the only bulletin boards were those in town...and people used them.

When a bar was made from barrels and cut cloth, and furs and bear masks covered our floors instead of gozas.

Few "clasically" decorated homes still exist on Napa Valley, my home. Those that do are largely unfrequented, and quiet as the owners are never seen anymore. And these homes I have found, hidden..tucked away..in between the droves of 18x18s filled with invulnerability blue braziers and with rooftops displaying guild abbreviations. And I miss the old ways of decorating.

So I was inspired to "revert" my home..to change it back and return to the appearance of how a large tower would have looked before the changes.

And you know, this has actually been great fun so far. Not spiteful. Not.."I don't like AoS, I don't like ML, forget it and I'll wallow up here in a tower that looks like it never changed with the game." I'm remembering so many things about how we all use to decorate. What use to get shown off in displays.

Maybe I'll post some pics tonight, but I was wondering..has anyone else come to miss it?

"It isn't over. Your footprints will never fade from Britannia. You shaped
a world of rich treasures and virtuous character. Children who idolized
you have grown into men and women who seek to walk your path.
That's your legacy, Lord British. It's a marvelous thing."

Snowy

Snowy

Pretty Nice Disguise, isn't it?

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
I know. There are some really wonderful ways to decorate homes in old styles. My L shape near Trinsic on LS was done nicely with trellises made of gnarled staffs, nightshade and grapes. I still use the canopy bed style we made there from nets and roses. I would love to see what you have created.

It's so much fun to tour houses and see the creativity and beauty. Sadly, more and more people leave their homes private and we can't enjoy the beautiful designs. That is one of my major passtimes... touring homes.

~

"It's definitely a Bubble Bath Day.". ~ Dove Promise

~

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
I miss it. While I love the deco tool *huggles her tool never to let it go* I miss the accomplisments you felt when figureing out the right amount hight etc useing fish steaks death robes n such to make that piano or raise that banner.
The clock frame privacy screens are still beter than the carpentry made ones.
My favorite house of all time was the lg brick and the Large house with patio.

*runs off to test shard to deco old school..... With her deco tool hidden in the folds of her skirt*

And I hate boxes >.<

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
I have a classic tower that I'm decorating and I'm trying to mix in both old and new. I've got some "homemade" plants made of nightshade and bunches of grapes. Does anyone still deco with those? I'm also gonna try to make a room on my roof using gnarled staffs. I'm using lots of new things also, but there are still lots of the old decorating styles that I like :)
Posted Image

Zynia

Zynia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Oh Kimmy I finally found something we have in common. Large Brick homes are my FAVORITE! And yes Kimmy, I love the new decoration tool settings too! When they were "broke" I had just finished redesigning my rune library, that was 500+ books, needless to say benches on top and below each one!

Terrence- You're absolutely right, I really do miss classic homes. In fact there's a large marble falling on my server on thursday. I might have to take you up on your challenge.

However, I try try to only use old furniture and items to decorate my houses. I think the few newest furniture I use are the UOSE armoire's for sink bases, my newfound love for the ornate elven chests at the end of a large bed. Other than my hanging studded tunic and leggings with my bulk order cloth stacked on benches high. I don't think I have very many new items. I can't wait to see some pictures though! I'm such a sucker for decorating, hehe.

Guest_Threnody_*

Guest_Threnody_*
  • Guests
I've been decorating and redecorating my homes and I would say I have a pretty healthy mix of old meets new. I have many "oldschool" style decorations where many random things become one object. But I have indulged in a few of the new decorations like the statues, some containers, mushrooms, etc. What I have not done is dye anything neon or use oddly colored items. I'll admit to oak statues at the libraries, but I try to keep things more "realistic" and "believeable."

I have been playing with the idea of an old school home. I cannot begin to count how many times I have felt the urge to place a small tower in the spot my first home was and decorate it as-was. I've been on the verge for a week or so now. I miss the old days a lot lately, even the houses and decor. (Though yes, I love my house deco tool and the ability to customize my homes.)

Zynia

Zynia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I miss being able to run around and not find anywhere to place at all! Maybe a small cottage, but nothing much bigger! Now I can run around, even on my populated Great Lakes server, and place a maximum storage! If not a close to it in a location anybody would have died to have before Malas came into the picture, let alone Tokuno.

Guest_Threnody_*

Guest_Threnody_*
  • Guests
My first home was on GL over the river west of Spirituality on Great Lakes. Back when a small tower was 800k and that was a lot of gold! Glad my good friend who was a lumberjack got it for me (probably to kick me out of his l-shape hehehe)

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
Ok am I the only one that included a dyed black bag to my pianos with a standing harp inside for the illusion of playing it?

In ALL ove the pianos i've seen made none have the harp and bag..

Was that just me?

Posted Image

Guest_Threnody_*

Guest_Threnody_*
  • Guests
You are not the only one! Though I do not have a piano right now, when I did I would keep a dyed black bag near the keys with instruments in it.

Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
I don't think I have ever seen a Piano done that way. Sounds really nice! Great discussion here. My greatest love is decorating!

~

~

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
I have always enjoyed decorating. I miss my old fishtank! I had to take it down because I ran out of lockdowns. :( I closed 3 accounts and had to merge 5 houses into 2. So I don't have much of the beautiful (massive lockdown) decorations. I do still have my TV and couches though.

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
I deco'd my hubbys house on pacific just after AoS came out, done in all the old ways; Fish tank, couch etc, I went there the other day to see and none of 'my' deco has been changed! *sighs* I just love it when people leave good sh....tuff like it is. It make me all warm inside ^.^

Posted Image

Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
I was sure the new added lockdowns would help my issue with a too full house.... but then they went and added MORE stuff to take up that space.... I'm no better off... Sure wish the BOD books only took up one space the way normal books do.. that would be WONDERFUL

Love the old style made aquariums. My daughter made a big one at the castle they have by vesper back in the first days they owned it. Was real nice.

~

~

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
One paticular old style house I liked, was the "Blacksmith" house? with the patio area?
I'm not sure what the right name was for it, but wasn't it removed from the available house choices?

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
its still there its called a large house with patio ^.^

Or are you talking about the small marble type made from stone?

Posted Image

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
Yep, it is the large house with patio now, but the old blacksmith house came with the half forge and an anvil already on the patio.
Posted Image

Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
That style is a really nice house.. If only it weren't so limited in storage. I would have to throw away tons of things. *starts shaking at the thought* Maybe they could keep that one, add one just like it but with a second story and usable roof.....:)

~

~

Zynia

Zynia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I lovedddd the large smithys! I still have a deed for one :) But the Large Brick's were and still are my absolute favorite. I just sold my Trammel waterfront one, it was an IDOC, but I wanted to save a classic house from disappearing. I decorated it with all old items and everything, well I only had the main larger room done, but then come to find out. A friend of mine has houses throughout the whole area and has been looking to buy the what was a large marble for over 4 years. So I gladly handed it over to him. He turned it into a custom, sadly. But it is still another one of his "blast from the past" museums.

siobhan

siobhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
I love the 2 story villa - always have. I think the flower beds and built in lamp win me over.

As for old school deco - I have to admin when I decorate a house, I revert to the old style. A self built plant looks so much more natural in size than a square pile of campions.

My favorite things to piddle with are making different types of countertops and display cases.

And definitely one of my favorite things to do is just wander around and look at homes. There are some very talented people out there :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: back, timehas