Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

New types of boats/ships

- - - - - boats or ships types

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I can always dream of cool things for uo but I know there is no way they would implement them.

But here goes...

I would like to see larger boats! some where you can actually enter a cabin within them. I would say it woudl be best if they arn't able to dry dock. Also maby able to choose what flag to fly on the mast? this could possibly make wonders for the role play community. (pirate ships wink wink)

Somthing else that is interesting is maby these large ships could have items locked down within them? Make them like a house where you can private the ship and only guildies and friends may enter? If these large ships worked like houses you would have to refresh them so often so a neglected ship would sink so as not to clutter our oceans with derelects. Or these abandoned ships could be entered and its contents salvaged. (in danger of sinking!)

i would really like some feed back so I know Im not a complete crackpot.
Power is not given, it is taken!

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Hi Cade,

I've been asking for the same thing for years. I even brought it up a couple of years ago at the first town hall meeting at EA's Los Angeles office.

At one time the dev team was considering a nautical expansion... but chose to do a ninja/samurai one instead.

There is always hope though. :)

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Ulfhedinn

Ulfhedinn

When a problem comes along, you must whip it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Vikings had big ships:)

Anyhoo, if you wanted larger ships, I agree there should be no dry docking. But they'd have to be ridiculously expensive, make it a guild investment. There should be reason to have them in though apart from the roleplay aspect even if that is a great reason:) Everyone just recalls anyway, maybe a new facet with the stygian abyss in where nobody can mark recall runes?

Not a bad idea, but theres a lot of facets as it is:P Maybe they should extend the tokuno islands facet *mutters something about adding vikings and a new playable non-gargoyle race there*, rename it and make it the size of Britannia but only in terms of sea mass? Also disallow houses not on the tokuno islands part making it necessary to have boat house things:)

Good idea though, might never get implemented:( Problem thats been bugging me the past few days is the name of the next update, Stygian Abyss. Its like a really bad omen because on Ultima IV, that's the last place you go on the game, I think to get the Codex of Virtue or something. But yeah anyway, SA from what I've heard needs big ships, no gargoyles and vikings (ok the viking part is just me but I feel strongly for it:P)

Memento Mori

Posted Image

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
funny how things like that happen....SA name that is!

Spree

Spree

I ♥ ORKIES !!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
How about a simple raft, that you can only fit 2 people or one person and a pet. No locks or drydocking and decays in 6 hours.
Posted Image
Ahh. Sorry to misinform. I redirect your questions on all things Stratics to Delilah ~ TizzyL

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I like the idea of house boats. This would extend the variety a bit more. I think house boats would have more to do. Like be able to salvage sunken treasures and if you get tired of living in one place just move the whole boat. No hassle of unlocking and using packies. Of course this would have to be looked at a bit since abandoned boats are were a big deal when I started playing, you couldnt go for a minute without running into a boat that was left in the ocean.

Toad

Toad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
I'd enjoy cannons on boats.... Have a nice little naval battle..
Posted Image
The army is gone... For now...

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
that would be kewl too, deffinately give the rp a boost as well as guild battles at sea

Ulfhedinn

Ulfhedinn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
I'm against the concept of cannons in UO. The only thing that could be good about them would be that the balls and cannon would need to be smithed, gunpowder could be made by an alchemist, the base could be partially carpentered, tools to clean could be tinkered and a high level in archery (because of the ability to judge distance) could make it more accurate, making it a genuine guild affair.

If something did have to be added to ships like that though I'd rather just see ballistas. Cannons are too close to muskets and the like, not really something I play UO for.

Memento Mori

Posted Image

Toad

Toad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
True... But we already have Cannons in UO.. And semi workable ones... Though they don't do any damage...
Posted Image

Stewan Seagull

Stewan Seagull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

I'd enjoy cannons on boats.... Have a nice little naval battle..

And powder explosions! Imagine the pirate firing their cannon, nothing happens, and then *BOOM* ... Pirate gone...

Glamorous

Glamorous

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Sea battles would be bad ass, they could even add a special faction reward or an extra city only capturable by boat ^^
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot, first they drag you down to their level, then they beat you with experiance."

Toad

Toad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
But as Ulf said.. With cannons might come guns... I'd quite enjoy guns for the first week or so.. But then it'd start to get abit erm..
Guns.. In UO... Wow..
Posted Image

Nok

Nok

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
Skip the cannons (even though I like them). But introduce cannon-like weapons for this naval expansion, but would keep powder weapons out so peops feathers don't get ruffled, is a weapon seen in WoW but only as deco itself (like cannons in UO) and is historically a real weapon in medieval & ancient times.

Wheeled (for land) and ship-mounted balistas! A balista is sort of a cross between a giant crossbow, cannon, and catapult. It shoots tipped bolts (like an arrow) ranging in size of spear to a large tree.

Just an idea. =)

Posted Image

Ulfhedinn

Ulfhedinn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Thats what I said :) Great minds think alike:P

Memento Mori

Posted Image

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
usually naval ballistas did not shoot large arrows or spears... they shot glass or clay pots of flamable oil.

But the main tactic of naval warfare in the dark ages or medievil was to board and takeover an opponent either taking her a prize or demolishing her.

Nok

Nok

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
True Cade. They fired LOTS of things.

That's the beauty of this idea. The UO Team does -not- have to implement Caribbean pirates. Pirates have been around as long as there has been a way to float on water, in all parts of the world. Even the ancient Greeks and Romans had to deal with piracy.

Just like other aspects of UO being UO-styled twists on multiple cultures and times... a nautical expansion could be tailored to fit within the UO world, including all the locations found on Tram, Fel, Ish, and Tok facets. Malas might be the only facet without because it has no oceans... just open space and sky.

Something to ponder.

Posted Image

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I would like to see a barrage of different sea warfare weapons. the easiest being arrows and bolts fired from player weapons. Rock slings, onagers, and ballistas are also great but i think should require a lot of crafting and limited use. Cannons would be devistating and fun if used occasionally. More than cannons I would like to see flame rounds. maby a rock ablaze could be tossed as a ship putting long lasting fire fields around the deck making player movement a bit dangerous. Of course I like the idea of house boats so there should be a difference between boats for battle and that of living. Of course implementing them together is nice but loosing an entire ship to other players which you stocked with all your possessions would suck so upon aquireing a ship you could choose whether it be for a home or battle. (maby somthing to do with guild possession and factions?)

I also like the idea of more ocean monsters. Some that are so hard you need an armed vessle and a crew to man its weapons.
I would love! Just love to see a guild out on a large ship exploring the ocean looking for NPC (tram) or Player (fel) ships to destroy or pirate, then get attacked by a giant squid.

Large ships would be good for pvm and pvp. maby these ships would need no tillerman as you would need to double click the anchoring gears to raise or lower anchor, then double click on the mast to raise or lower sails. You would then have to have your gm carpentor (stone craft) craft some stone balls for your catapults which require a player to have gm tinkering, carpentry, and blacksmithing to create. Maby the added use of alchemy using explosion potions could make these rocks flamable. then to create ballistas you would need a gm carpenter, tinker, and fletcher to create the device and its ammunition.

Sea battles could make use of naval weapons. Maby a ship could have hp that when gets to low would no longer be able to sail thus making it able to be bordered and captured. A carpenter would be needed to make repairs to the vessle as well as other crafters to repair its weapons. maby you would need a tailor to make new or repair the old sails.

give me some feedback and critique on this idea.

Knights Tavern

Knights Tavern

Bartender

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

At one time the dev team was considering a nautical expansion... but chose to do a ninja/samurai one instead.

For some reason they prefer adding more useless colored stuff instead :tard:

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

I also like the idea of more ocean monsters. Some that are so hard you need an armed vessle and a crew to man its weapons.
I would love! Just love to see a guild out on a large ship exploring the ocean looking for NPC (tram) or Player (fel) ships to destroy or pirate, then get attacked by a giant squid.

Large ships would be good for pvm and pvp. maby these ships would need no tillerman as you would need to double click the anchoring gears to raise or lower anchor, then double click on the mast to raise or lower sails. You would then have to have your gm carpentor (stone craft) craft some stone balls for your catapults which require a player to have gm tinkering, carpentry, and blacksmithing to create. Maby the added use of alchemy using explosion potions could make these rocks flamable. then to create ballistas you would need a gm carpenter, tinker, and fletcher to create the device and its ammunition.

Cade they should put you in charge of developing the next expansion! =)

A naval expansion certainly piques my interest. There are so many ideas and concepts that could be put to use it's rather staggering.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boats or ships, types