Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Should they have updated the 2D client instead?

- - - - - 2d client updated

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Arcane

Arcane

Legendary Tamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I agree 100%,KR is a waste and they should have redone the 2d client.Big flashy
graphics isnt everything well atleast not to me.im a long time fan of the 2d client

Yoda

Yoda

Jedi Master and defender of Ocllo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
If they want to make UO a true 3D game, then they should take it all the way and do it like EQ/WoW.

But, I don't want them to do that, because part of UO's flavor is the iso view. I feel they should have redone the 2d client. Made it mod-able, give it chat boxes/hot bars.

Silence_Fair

Silence_Fair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I voted yes . . and no they didn't do that. . the KR graphics are dull and muddy to me and not at all the crisp clear clean look of the 2D client IMHO. . I was in the Beta for a while and finally gave up when time after time things that were sent in for changes were left undone while they kept adding things. . I went forever it seemed with a fire from a boiling cauldron in the middle of the bottom two floors of my house. . I wasn't finding much to do int he game at that time and decided to take a "vacation" which I did for five months. . I am back now with a whole new outlook , new friends to play with, and in the 2D client. Until they toss the game int he trash bin I will be here. .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

EmersonBiggins

EmersonBiggins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I paid for it, but couldn't get the download to complete on the first two attempts, with a brand new computer and extra-high speed internet. I tried the third time and the download actually completed, but refused to install. Could have been a Vista problem, who knows. All I know is that if I put out a product like that at work, I'd be fired.

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
Most definately. There should have always been only one client. I would have taken upgraded graphics and a better UI in 2d over KR.

FaelynRose1

FaelynRose1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I love UO and have since the first time I logged on. I agree with others that the 2d graphics are part of the charm. I would like to see some changes in the 2d graphics, but all in all I am happy with this game. I am disappointed by the extreme cost of many rare items. But games come and go and you must admit that after 10 long years there is no other community quite like Ultima Online.
I have tried other games over the ten years (of continuous play on UO) but I have found that after a few months I still liked this delightful world the best.

Comicon

Comicon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Please, just bring back the 3D client patch!!

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Please, just bring back the 3D client patch!!

thats not going to happen. Old 3D client was trashed to make room for that incredible KR client.

It might be possible that a free shard might still be running the 3D client.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
I want to say yes however seeing alot of what theyve changed... i want to say no cause no matter what they come up with i have 2d to run screaming back to. if they "updated" 2d and did a !!!!e job then i would have nothing to fall back on.

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

A UO GOD

A UO GOD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
2D rocks and they should have built upon it instead of KR

KR has been a big disappointment for me but thats just my own opinion.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
No - not unless they could forever kill the primary scripting program.

I wonder if EAMythic ever considered throwing ten grand at the primary coder to shut it down. As I understand it, every time they push a new publish, the program has to be recoded. If they paid off the brains behind the program, it might have disappeared years ago.

Of course, that would also set a particularly expensive precedent...

~M

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Ultimately, I think KR or 2D has to go, maintaining 2 clients for the same game is time-consuming and tedious, and thus expensive. Most everything client-side and some things server-side have to literally be coded twice. I wonder how much was considered from the 3rd Dawn experience of saddling the team with dual clients to support and develop on. Certainly, there had to be a change and "update" as the players, and probably Marketing, had been asking for it for years. I'm also wondering why they didnt go with something along the lines of a non-isometric client like Iris. There would have been server performance issues to consider due to increased range/horizon updates, but the server code should scream on current hardware comparing it to what UO launched on in 1997.

Gwendar

Gwendar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Course if they had worked on 2D instead of trying to fit the game into someone elses engine then 2D might be more broken than it is.

Laeo

Laeo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I like the 2D client as it is now. The only thing that I would love to see is a higher resolution 2d client like it is possible with razor on freeshards.

I like the look of my toons in 2D. The 3D clients 3rd dawn and KR just look like rubbish imo.

Markus Balthazar

Markus Balthazar

Nerves of steel!!!!

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
I voted yes as well. However, I think KR was created mainly to attract new players not to accommodate the older players.

I hope they do keep the 2D client as it is most popular with older players. I have played also in the KR client and it works, but it takes some getting used to. There is something nice and comfortable about the older client. I use both but find the 2D client easy to play especially PVP and MVP. Crafting is also better in the 2D client.
Posted Image

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

There is something nice and comfortable about the older client. I use both but find the 2D client easy to play especially PVP and MVP. Crafting is also better in the 2D client.

It's funny, but for me PvM and crafting are much better in KR... Never tried PvP yet, so I cannot comment on that... =)
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2d, client, updated