Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Should they have updated the 2D client instead?

- - - - - 2d client updated

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
They should scrap the code and start from scratch, if that's even possible
If amateurs can build a server emulator from scratch, surely paid professionals can as well.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
That would be a better idea.

That's what KR is.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

phentis

phentis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think it shouldn't be neither old 2D client nor KR. They both look very old now, and they don't attract new players. It should be something new, may be even smth like Ultima Online 2 but with a new graphical source. As I heard, KR is using graphical source, which was used in Gothic 3 and Oblivion... So I can't understand, why EA doesn't want to REALLY Reborn UO?!

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
My question is: when haven't they updated the 2D client? ;)

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
2D graphics were always fine as is. Maybe make them a little sharper like the pictures that were posted a while back. The game sucks. Fix that.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

2D graphics were always fine as is. Maybe make them a little sharper like the pictures that were posted a while back. The game sucks. Fix that.

:clap

Short and simple, but profoundly correct.

There's really no better way to explain it.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
I remembered that earlier this year, I downloaded a third party 3D client and tried it out on a free shard. I forget the name of the program, but it made the world get drawn in actual 3D based off of the ingame map. Don't know how the team did it, but they did it. Sorta looked like EverQuest. Buggy as hell, though. Not everything worked okay.

Maybe EA should buy the program and fiddle with it?

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Why?

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Because obviously graphics are the only major problem with UO?

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!

I almost kept a straight face while typing that...... almost.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Well, after spending a while last night trying to show someone who was thinking about playing UO what the KR client looked like, I might have to rethink my earlier opinions, and say they should just kill it before it wastes any more developer and customer time :o.

Seems that the latest patch managed to break the ability to drop, put on pack animals, or put into bankboxes ANY containers in your backpack. Let's just think about that one......

What can be more fundamental to a game than the ability to pick up and put down items? In the past, bugs like this one were (rightly) put down to trying to work with a spaghetti heap of old and contradictory coding, but this one is entirely in the KR client designed, written and developed by the current team - and not only did nobody notice, not only did QA (despite Jeremy's comments, I reckon they are as real as yeti, bigfoot and fairies at the bottom of the garden nowadays...) miss this, but after more than a week it's not been fixed or reverted in the client.

The best recommended 'workround' is to switch to 2d to move containers, then go back to KR. Leaving aside that if you were one of the new folks, or returning people, who only downloaded KR that simply is not an option, how on Earth can there be any credibility for a client that comes with the advisory "you will need to install an earlier version as well so you can actually play the game"?

So very, very disappointing, almost a year in to KR and they still make such hopeless mistakes... :'(

Henry Winter B^F

Henry Winter B^F

Brigand

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
3d was a total failure last time they tried it with uo third dawn...

It's been a year allready Adam? I have tried it once for 5 minutes and never tried it again.

Posted Image

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I remember back when I first played UO when LBR came out. I first saw the 2D graphics on the box and thought they were OK. Then I played for a bit and I was really impressed. Later on I met these guys who wanted to help me out and let me into their guild. So we went back to their house and sat in there and talked. Man, I was so amazed at the detail of the 2D graphics. It was like almost everything was interactable. Then when it turned night the lights came on and it was really really nice. I compare that to what I see now (KR) and it's just sad.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
One of the biggest drawbacks for the 2D client, isn't the art imo, it's the fact you're restricted to such low resolutions.
But, they're not going to add any changes like that to the 2D client, which is a shame.

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
I went with other. First fix the BEDROCK, then the window dressing. Server side needs to be adressed first. With each new dev team incarnation (and make no mistake, we are about to see yet another), each tries to one up the other with better eye-candy. With little to no attention other than band-aids applied to server side issues.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
they keep messing up everything new they make. most new 2d graphics sucks and also after each new 2d patch client has been more and more laggy. and wont even talk how laggy KR is for most ppl

Henry Winter B^F

Henry Winter B^F

Brigand

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
So when are they getting rid of the 2d client anyway?

Posted Image

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
In accordance with Adam's theory, they will announce the death of 2D about 1 week after War Hammer online goes public.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I think a whole lot of people voted that the 2D client should have been updated instead only because they don't like what ended up as the KR client. C'mon, people. I'm 100% adverse to change and I still can say that by 2007 standards, the 2D client is laughably outdated. By 1997 standards, the 2D client is fantastic.... but for a decade-old game, it looks... dated. Its functionality is dated.

It's like watching the special effects in the original Star Wars movies. At the time, the special effects were unbelievably amazing. Decades later, the movies and stories themselves are fantastic and timeless, but they look decades old.

Same with UO. The storylines and the community and the gameplay is timeless. The graphics are.... dated.... in the 2D client.

One of the joys of technology is that it changes constantly. Those who love technology embrace those changes. UO is a technology based game, and as a technology enthusiast, I hope it will continue to keep up with current technologies. As is, it's still actually way behind the curve - even with KR.

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

So when are they getting rid of the 2d client anyway?

Statements made by EA originally suggested, or appeared to suggest, that the KR client would replace the long-standing UO client. However, at the first of several EA-sponsored players' conventions referred to as "UO Town Meetings," in Atlanta, EA representatives suggested that the two clients would exist side-by-side until about 80% of the players had switched over to the new client

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

the 2D client is laughably outdated. By 1997 standards,

Well.. KR boosts UO a bit.. maybe to year 2002 standards - But is also laughable outdated compared to others. Which imo was a waste of money and a stroke to get above the surface a while longer.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2d, client, updated