Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Do you feel EA is listening to you?

- - - - - ea feel listening

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Noticing alot of irate people on Uhall these days, demanding answers, claims of "droves" of people quitting etc etc.

Spoken to a few people recently, even the die hard UO'ers and the general impression I'm getting is they feel EA isn't listening to their feedback, that EA is doing things their own way and doesn't seem to care much about what their players (aka paying customers) want.

What's your thoughts? do you agree on it?

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
I voted no, with a disclaimer.

I feel that the simple things are readily replied to, with larger issues back shelved until an expert is available to answer. However, the devs appear to be
1) overburdened with their ill-advised new client
2) under manned
3) lacking in game-specific knowledge (experts)

Conversely, the team then decides to tackle that which they do not understand and leave the simple issues until time permits. *scratches head*

For instance, the new formula for meditation was researched, written and coded in a day by Leurocian, in MARCH (see FoF on uoherald.com). Yet not released until AUGUST.

Is EA conforming to my demands for my own personal interest? I sure hope the heck NOT. They have to retain distance and not get over-involved in the " I died to a paragon balron, make them easier" people.

Is EA doing whatever they can to implement those ideas I have that would really help the game? simply, no. As someone who has provided a huge amount of feedback, with working examples of solutions, I can say that emphatically.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
I don't think EA has ever really listened very well, and EA/Mythic has actually done worse. (canceling all official status of fan sites, no official forum, no real communication)

Jeremy is the only voice they have and she doesn't seem to be allowed to say much. Hell I used to run into Speedman and Sunsword in game! Where are the Devs now? (got one of the weirdest resurrections ever from an invisible Speedman!)

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Guest_PAlexandria_*

Guest_PAlexandria_*
  • Guests
I agree with the person that said they never really listened. Not in any timely fashion anyway. And boy, calling a GM is WAY more pointless than it ever was in the past. What a shame. Hell, customer service in my fantasy life is just as crappy as customer service in real life!

Talk about art imitating life... hehe.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
I am in the same agreement as Tuk on this one. They dont have official anything anymore, dont care what people say or ask, or report bugs on. They do their own thing, and just amuse people by occasionally posting a "we're looking into it" post somewhere, then doing whatever their agenda is.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
I voted NO.

The problem is one of perception.

I do not expect, nor require direct input into every system,change,tweak.

I understand that it is EAMythic's game, I just rent access. But things should be discussed more before they introduce sweeping changes.

Just look at the way the resource change was handled. Now wether you agree with it or not. Its implementation left something to be desired. It was announced one day, placed on test center the next day, and the day after it went live to all shards.

Now I think that it was coded well, it works, I am sure it was ready weeks ago, but it is my perception that EAMythic did not want a discussion on this change, nor are they willing to have one. Outside of it not being aimed at scripters and it is to make "rare" ores/woods rarer. How is this communicating with your players?

GMs, what are they good for? Very little. It does get under my skin that better customer service was the reason for the price increase.
Why would it be so hard to have gms work online from wherever? If they have to be in the U.S. so be it. But to ask people to move to Virginia? Heck, I would take a gm job, if I could log in and work from home. Sign me up today!

Then we get to your community relations coordinator. Just what exactly is her job? The way I see it is just a public relations person (just a different title). IE to act as a go between the dev team/management of UO and it's paying customers. To relay information to the community in a timely, accurate fashion.

Why then is she not on the boards more? I can hear her defenders now, "that's not fair jeremy can't post on all the boards, all the time." Yeah? Tell me another one. Too many boards to post on? Whose fault is that? EAMythic canned the "official" fansite program. How about things change, adapt to them? Like EAMythic likes to tell the players. How many boards are there? That are truly active? I read/post on 3 (Here, Stratics, Lost Lands) are there others? If not she should be on each site reading/answering for an hour on each (If there are just these 3) . That gives her 5 hours to do what she does now. In a standard 8 hour work day. Hell, she does not want to do that? Then name an "official" site, and state while the others will be read/monitored/have interviews when available. But Questions will only be answered on site X (Thinking that it should be stratics, seems the busiest, at least to me), just pick one. Is she a programmer? No. Is she artist? No. Is she in the management section? No. Is she a server tech? No. Then if she is not here to answer questions/find out answers from the dev team, just what the heck does she do? I know she does not post as much as a community person should. And then when she does post, she often posts inaccurate/false/vague information. Which then has to be corrected.

One example : She announced that several servers were going to be down for extended maintenance. THATS ALL. Why? I had to post a question on stratics, for an clarification, which she finally answered. Because EAMythic are moving these servers to a new location. I did get flamed for wanting to know by a few people. But I noticed another thread speculating that it might be to add in new content, this was getting players hopes up that maybe finally, EAMythic was listening. So I asked, because since it was not ALL shards, I did not figure it would be new content. All the conjecture in that other thread could have easily been avoided, by simply stating the reason for the extended maintenance in the first place. This is the exact thing, I believe that the community is asking for.

I believe that the community is tired of "Soon", "You're gonna love it", "The new skill are cool", well at least I am.

To all the players, who want to say quit then, if you are so unhappy with the game. I am not unhappy with the game, but the service and the people behind it. I love UO, I intend to fight for what I think is good for the game/community. I was silent for many years, no longer will I stand mute!

*strikes* a dramatic pose : Friends, Sosarians, Countrymen, lend me your eyes. Now is the time for all goodmen to come to the aid of our beloved game! Cast off those shackles that bind you to your inactivity! Stand up and be counted, we can only survive, if we lift our collected feedbacks/questions to the man behind the curtain! We must demand answers! Free citizens everywhere must be read!

:) Just kind of had to joke there, I almost fell of my soapbox. :)
  • Solidchrome likes this
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Had to go with "Other".

I don't send in anything for EA to listen to.

But I think a lot of where some problems come from start with this topic/pole.

No one should expect it in the first place.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Dip, the problem though is that they lead their subscribers to believe that they actually "do" care, and listen, when they do not care or listen. It would be better if they just came out and said
"all subsribers, we do not care about your input, and will do whatever we want to do, learn to live with it and just play the game"

Then I dont think people would have so much of a problem, cause when you dont expect anything, improvements are welcomed.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I don't think it's that bad Bo, I actually have to disagree and say that the team actually does care and listen, probably too much; the problem comes from trying to please the tiniest aspect (gripe). They take in each and every suggestion/complaint/rant/joke/etc. and at times lose focus on the bigger picture(s).

They should have never been as open as the are to suggestion by the playerbase and I do agree that they shouldn't lead people to believe that "they care" because using those words puts it on an emotional/personal level and it needs to stay in a business/professional level.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Not sure this is the best way to respond to the question BUT here goes. Yes I believe EA listens to us. The trouble is we don't "think" they listen because they don't do what we want.

Don't know how many times Beloved has told me I didn't listen to her. I did listen. Just didn't come to the same conclusion as she did.

I think a lot of players have the mentality that "IF" EA would have listened to me they no doubt would have agreed with me and done what I wanted. Any time they don't do what I want it is obvious that EA doesn't listen.

So there is my two gold coins worth :-/

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
I'm with Vepl, there is a difference between listening and doing. I know they listen, they just may not agree or actually be unable to make things happen the way X amount of users want it to. Now do I think their communication system is great, nope not with EA/Mythic. IMHO it has gone downhill since the takeover.

That being said folks on Stratics UO Uhall have been screaming since they opened that forum :-P I take it with a grain of salt.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Well said Vepl.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Well, how does this fit in with the listening /doing?
When Jeremy posted here for inputs on making the New Haven Experience better, my FIRST reply that SAME day was that the experience did NOTHING for the player after completion. The player was left stranded with no idea of skill progression, destination, or even how to LEAVE New Haven.

Since then, we have had at least 10 posters report this frustration in their first 3 posts. They were so stuck that they had to google to find a place to get help on what to do next, since there is no official site that provides guidance.

I have sent in 25 feedbacks since march on this topic, and cross posted to Stratics.

Where are we on that now? Exactly nowhere.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Ghazghkull

Ghazghkull

Warboss [Orcs]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Personally I said "No" as well, but I disagree with some comments in regards to "The Devs" not listening.

There are certain individuals just to name one would be CatHat, who will go out of his way to help even in his own time! Exceptional person.

Others probably use UO as a stepping stone on to the online gaming industry.

But the main thing being, Its the managers of the Devs, and their managers. They get a budget to work with, they say yes we will do this no we wont do that, at the moment EA/Mythic's new found toy is Warhammer Online, they will just shove money at the team making it, because they know the income from it will be alot more than they put in. But with UO that "Sweet" time where it was stupidly popular and Origin, now run by EA threw money at the devs, has long long gone and so they just pay what they have to, to keep the game alive.

Simple fact, people want money, and then they want more. Do you think the people at the top of the chain care? No? Funnily enough neither do I.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[Orcs] Guild Master [Europa]

Orcs Website | Orcs Forum

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
EA did send the old Europa EM along to the role players meet the other year when the Dev guy was there as well.

The RP community gave them a document filled with suggestions and stuff - so they do *listen* and they do want input.

Sad facts is they probably dont have the cash or indeed the motivation to implement things to a certain extent.

Also one group want x whilst another group wants y.

You cant please all of the people all of the time - thats a fact.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

But with UO that "Sweet" time where it was stupidly popular and Origin, now run by EA threw money at the devs, has long long gone and so they just pay what they have to, to keep the game alive.

Just to keep the facts straight, Origin was bought by EA in 1992, Ultima Online was released in 1997. EA has always had it's hand involved.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Glamorous

Glamorous

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I think people need to stop bitching and relax.
Yes I know people spend real money on this, which I havent done in 2 years for 3 accounts, (Yes its that easy to buy game time through a broker with gold you get selling power scrolls), but srsly its not easy creating and keeping a game balanced.
This isnt the real world but like the real world the rich will always be better then the poor so either get rich or die trying.
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot, first they drag you down to their level, then they beat you with experiance."

Deraj

Deraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
I voted "other". The devs listen, in a sense, but the real source of frustration is the lack of communication. Five on Friday is nice and all, but it doesn't answer all the questions, or even address all the concerns associated with its questions. There's no clearly stated plan; no one seems to know what is going on or what will go on (well, I don't know, that's for sure...maybe someone can fill me in). It's just confusing.
Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away,
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why,
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire.

Guest_PAlexandria_*

Guest_PAlexandria_*
  • Guests
Forgot to mention that I think players have always been screaming and seemingly leaving in droves. There have always been problems as I recall and I played not quite back in the earliest days but pretty close.

Hell, I can't count the number of times I quit in disgust after being PvPed before the age of Trammel/Feluca. But I always seem to come back... eventually. I can claim senility as my excuse now. ;]

Ghazghkull

Ghazghkull

Warboss [Orcs]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Just to keep the facts straight, Origin was bought by EA in 1992, Ultima Online was released in 1997. EA has always had it's hand involved.

Apologies, I didnt know that!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[Orcs] Guild Master [Europa]

Orcs Website | Orcs Forum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ea, feel, listening