Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

UO Noob has several questions

- - - - - noob questions uo

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Guest_elikal_*

Guest_elikal_*
  • Guests
After playing MMOs for about 3 years now, I thought I was ready when I heard about the KR graphics update, so I plunged myself into good olde Britannia... and boy was I wrong. Playing about a dozen MMOs I still felt like I was blind and dumb. Just as a sidenote, maybe they should make a tutorial which really explains the games functions, since they are so unlike anything else, but that just as a sidenote. A real noob is VERY lost in Britannia, be it not for the many kind players.

Anyways, here is a host of things I wasnt able to figure.

1) How can I travel? I am on this Island Haven or what. (I played the old Ultimas, but I cant for the love of the virtues recall that city.) I have seen several boats, but I cant seem to travel, I went to the Moongate, but I didnt know any of those places, so I didnt use it. I am a Paladin btw. So, maybe someone can describe me travel, please, but please in detail. I got some general answers like "use the tithe on the book", and I had NO idea what a tithe is or what I should do with said book. As I said, I am a total noob, and nothing here is as I know it. ;)

2) I heard I can train skills for coin. How do I do it? I know I can use the phrase "NPC-name train ability", and he says I do it for 100 gold but I was unable to give him them gold. How is this done?

3) Where can I sell loot? I didnt find any vendor, maybe Haven as starter area has none, but is there a NPC I can sell my loot for cash, and how is this made?

4) It seems my armor decays from use, so what NPC repairs it and how?

5) Horses, everyone tell me I need one, so where do I get one cheap starter horse?

6) Where can I learn new skills/attacks/spells? I seem to have some skills and some spells in my book of chivalry, but where can I buy more? Since apparently there are no "levels", what is the mechanics for growing and learning new abilities?

Btw, after a while of playing my mouse pointer is gone. Any advise?

Sorry for the many questions, but UO plays like a sudeko riddle. ;)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
[quote name='elikal']1) How can I travel? I am on this Island Haven or what. (I played the old Ultimas, but I cant for the love of the virtues recall that city.) I have seen several boats, but I cant seem to travel, I went to the Moongate, but I didnt know any of those places, so I didnt use it. I am a Paladin btw. So, maybe someone can describe me travel, please, but please in detail. I got some general answers like "use the tithe on the book", and I had NO idea what a tithe is or what I should do with said book. As I said, I am a total noob, and nothing here is as I know it. ;)[/QUOTE]

The easiest way to travel out of Haven is to use the moongate on the very southern tip of the island. You'll know when you get there because you'll have to cross a couple short bridges. They're permanent moongates and they'll get you to where you need to go. Your first destination should probably be Luna (click Malas facet, then Luna). Luna is always busy and you can find someone for in-game help.

[quote]2) I heard I can train skills for coin. How do I do it? I know I can use the phrase "NPC-name train ability", and he says I do it for 100 gold but I was unable to give him them gold. How is this done?[/quote]

Single click an npc to bring up a context menu. Select which skill you want to train and drag and drop gold on them. You can only buy up to about 35.0 in a skill. I only play 2D so I don't know if this is different. (I would suggest to any new player to start off with a Paladin-type character. They are probably the cheapest and least gear intensive characters to play.)

[quote]3) Where can I sell loot? I didnt find any vendor, maybe Haven as starter area has none, but is there a NPC I can sell my loot for cash, and how is this made?[/quote]

You need to find the right npc to sell each item to. Just go to Luna and you'll find almost every type of vendor npc hanging around the bank.

[quote]4) It seems my armor decays from use, so what NPC repairs it and how?[/quote]

NPCs don't repair items, you'll have to find a player who's already an accomplished smith / tailor / carpenter and ask them to repair them for you (risky since you'll have to hand them over to them) or ask them if you can buy some repair deeds from them. If you're new, they'll probably give them to you for free.

[quote]5) Horses, everyone tell me I need one, so where do I get one cheap starter horse?[/quote]

You can buy them from any stable. Just look for an npc named "stable master" or something (I forget the actual name.) Or you can go tame one yourself. They take very little taming skill to tame (maybe 50 or so?). Just find a wild one roaming around. But again, if you're new someone will probably just buy you one. They're very cheap.

[quote]6) Where can I learn new skills/attacks/spells? I seem to have some skills and some spells in my book of chivalry, but where can I buy more? Since apparently there are no "levels", what is the mechanics for growing and learning new abilities?[/quote]

Different abilities work in different ways. All chivalry spellbooks contain all 10 chivalry spells. You'll have to take up another skill like Magery, Necromancy, or Spellweaving if you want to learn more spells. As for attacks, each weapon has 2 different special moves. But you'll need 70 and 90 skill in your weapon skill to use them.[/QUOTE]

eshezo

eshezo

"Kaz"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi,

Well I can help you with most of this but there are tutorials and I would recommend http://uo.stratics.com

OK, Travel can be in various ways but for the beginer the only ways open are 1.Walk, to jump in a boat and sail (you would need to buy your own baot) or through the Moongates, if your new then I would recommend using the moongates and stick to the Trammel area which is safe. other methods as you progress are through the Mage skill with spells (recall and gate) or you can buy recall scroll from someone, there are oether ways but for now concentrate on the moongates. btw if your new there is a time limit for young characters and I don;t remeber what it is, also you can say "I renounce my young player status" this will remove your player young status.

Training skills from vendors, simply go to the vendor and ask, they will say what skill and how much, then drag and drop the correct amount of gold on them ....done.

Selling loot really you have to go to the right type of shop and select the vendor sell option, they will list what you have thats of interest and then you choose if you want to sell it.

Armour I can;t help you with I;m a mage.

Horses, simply go to the stables at one of the towns and buy one, or you can wander into the woods and try to tame one using your tamming skills if you have any, if not you could still try and this will gain your tamming skill.

Growing your Chiveraly skills , I would suggest you look on uo.stratics , seriously that site has everything you need to know.

Regarding your mouse disapering, it's a bug in KR, it shouldn't happen that often but when it does you have to close and re-start the program, it will probably disapear on one of the patches at some point.

let me know what shard you play on , if your on Europa I'll meet up with you and help you out with some stuff and gold etc... and show you round.

rgds
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_elikal_*

Guest_elikal_*
  • Guests
[quote name='Chad Sexington ^^']The easiest way to travel out of Haven is to use the moongate on the very southern tip of the island. You'll know when you get there because you'll have to cross a couple short bridges. They're permanent moongates and they'll get you to where you need to go. Your first destination should probably be Luna (click Malas facet, then Luna). Luna is always busy and you can find someone for in-game help.

Single click an npc to bring up a context menu. Select which skill you want to train and drag and drop gold on them. You can only buy up to about 35.0 in a skill. I only play 2D so I don't know if this is different. (I would suggest to any new player to start off with a Paladin-type character. They are probably the cheapest and least gear intensive characters to play.)

You need to find the right npc to sell each item to. Just go to Luna and you'll find almost every type of vendor npc hanging around the bank.

NPCs don't repair items, you'll have to find a player who's already an accomplished smith / tailor / carpenter and ask them to repair them for you (risky since you'll have to hand them over to them) or ask them if you can buy some repair deeds from them. If you're new, they'll probably give them to you for free.

You can buy them from any stable. Just look for an npc named "stable master" or something (I forget the actual name.) Or you can go tame one yourself. They take very little taming skill to tame (maybe 50 or so?). Just find a wild one roaming around. But again, if you're new someone will probably just buy you one. They're very cheap.

Different abilities work in different ways. All chivalry spellbooks contain all 10 chivalry spells. You'll have to take up another skill like Magery, Necromancy, or Spellweaving if you want to learn more spells. As for attacks, each weapon has 2 different special moves. But you'll need 70 and 90 skill in your weapon skill to use them.[/quote][/quote]

I tried to drag a drop gold on the NPC, but that didnt do anything. Maybe its the correct order of chosing a skill and then drop, I try it again.

Does a Pally have some travel spell? How would it work?

Malas and Luna, are those cities? What is a facet?

Thanks for the answers. :)

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Hi there elikal.First off welcome to UOForums.I am glad you found us,and hope we have enough info posted around that will help you a little.

Firstly we have an indepth forum [ click ].

Here you can find answers to most of your questions,and if not,as above has shown there are plenty of folk around who will be more than happy to post and guide you along.

What shard do you play on.?

If its Europa I can get you a horse.Just let me know.

I am sure once we find your shard,people who play there will make offers to help you in game :) .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

Malas and Luna, are those cities? What is a facet?

Malas is a facet. The two main towns in Malas are Umbra and Luna. Luna is the place to go to find other people. It's handy too. Everything is in one spot.

Facets are land masses. Trammel, Ilshinar, Malas, and Tokuno are the ones you want to stay in for a bit. They are where you cannot be attacked by other players. Felluca is where you can be randomly attacked by other players. You can't go to Fel tho as long as you are a new player with the new tag.

Keep your new tag until it expires, too. It keeps you from being attacked by everything while you are walking along a road and such. You won't be safe inside a dungeon tho.

Joining a guild is a good way to help get skills worked on, and explore things. What shard are you playing? We have people from all of them here so someone can probably reccommend a good one.

Guest_elikal_*

Guest_elikal_*
  • Guests
Lol, now I am stuck on my ship! I got some coin from a friendly person and thought to sail. Took me ages clicking the ship to realize I need commands.

Now I sailed to Britain, at the docks, dropped anchor and close to a dock plank, but I cant leave the ship. I am on Europa, in my ship, if anyone can come by maybe. Lol. ^^()

The shard is Trammel I think.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts

The shard is Trammel I think.

*Smiles* ,No Trammel is the facet you are on in game.

The shard you play on is chosen before you actually get into game.

After you enter your Username and Password,it then takes you to a page which lists all the 'Shard' available.

Which ever one of these you choose i.e Europa,Great Lakes,Chesapeake etc is what I need to know :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_elikal_*

Guest_elikal_*
  • Guests
I finally figured it. I needed to unlock the plank with the key. ^^
Its Europa btw. ^^

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Welcome to UO Forums and UO elikal :)

There is a lot to learn in UO. Thank you for taking the time to ask your questions here. The players here really enjoy helping each other out.

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts

After playing MMOs for about 3 years now, I thought I was ready when I heard about the KR graphics update, so I plunged myself into good olde Britannia... and boy was I wrong. Playing about a dozen MMOs I still felt like I was blind and dumb. Just as a sidenote, maybe they should make a tutorial which really explains the games functions, since they are so unlike anything else, but that just as a sidenote. A real noob is VERY lost in Britannia, be it not for the many kind players.

Anyways, here is a host of things I wasnt able to figure.

1) How can I travel? I am on this Island Haven or what. (I played the old Ultimas, but I cant for the love of the virtues recall that city.) I have seen several boats, but I cant seem to travel, I went to the Moongate, but I didnt know any of those places, so I didnt use it. I am a Paladin btw. So, maybe someone can describe me travel, please, but please in detail. I got some general answers like "use the tithe on the book", and I had NO idea what a tithe is or what I should do with said book. As I said, I am a total noob, and nothing here is as I know it. ;)

2) I heard I can train skills for coin. How do I do it? I know I can use the phrase "NPC-name train ability", and he says I do it for 100 gold but I was unable to give him them gold. How is this done?

3) Where can I sell loot? I didnt find any vendor, maybe Haven as starter area has none, but is there a NPC I can sell my loot for cash, and how is this made?

4) It seems my armor decays from use, so what NPC repairs it and how?

5) Horses, everyone tell me I need one, so where do I get one cheap starter horse?

6) Where can I learn new skills/attacks/spells? I seem to have some skills and some spells in my book of chivalry, but where can I buy more? Since apparently there are no "levels", what is the mechanics for growing and learning new abilities?

Btw, after a while of playing my mouse pointer is gone. Any advise?

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED FROM PLAYING UO IS YES THE TUTORIAL IS GOOD PUT YOU ON TRACK BUT THE BEST WAY TO LEARN IS TO MAKE FRIENDS POSSIBLE JOIN A GUILD AND JUST GO GET YOUR FEET WET NO TUTORIAL CAN SHOW YOU THAT
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Great questions, and answers. I have reported your experience and questions via feedback to uoherald.com. They are very real weaknesses of the new player experience.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Pennywise

Pennywise

Crumbpicker, dat der Renaissance Manz of da Werlds!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

1) I am on this Island Haven or what.

I-i-i-it bwought tears to my eyes remembering w-w-w-when I had such challenges as n-n-n-new playa. Sweet memowies.

*wipes and eye*

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

This is incredibly true! UO is one of the more complicated online games, and yet there is almost zero in-game help. You've come to the best place to get answers for your questions though, this forum is a lifesaver! :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts

I finally figured it. I needed to unlock the plank with the key. ^^
Its Europa btw. ^^

I am on Europa too, so let me know when ur next on and if I can help with anything Ill be more than happy too :)

You will also find a list of guilds who are on Europa,plus lots of news about whats happening event wise

click this link

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noob, questions, uo