Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Random resources Yay or Nay...

- - - - - nay random resources yay

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Yay- I like the change it will shoot scripters in the foot...

or

Nay- I don't like the change, it will just make things more rare and cause prices to skyrocket...

I vote: Nay, its a bad change and only promotes more scripting due to rarity....

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
If it's been implemented to somehow affect scriptors, I think they're shooting themselves in the foot in the process
I'd imagine there's alot of annoyed players out there with this change, especially those who have dedicated rune books or even libraries, to ore spots.
I vote nay to.

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
Well The World Changes In Uo And In Real
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Dang, Adam that was fast... I didn't even have the poll up yet when you posted...

I vote Nay also, it will do nothing to curb scripting... I will defanatly destroy rune libraries...

Too Bad we didn't have a chance to discuss the topic before it came to TC1...

I tried mining yesterday on 5 spots here's my results

1st run through:
Iron, Copper, Dull copper, Dull copper, Shadow...

2nd run through on the exact same spots:
Iron, Iron, Iron, Dull copper, Iron...

So much for "Random"....This idea only promotes scripting more and more....

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Well The World Changes In Uo And In Real

Too bad its for the worst...

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
worse for some better for others ever notice were always in the worse group
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Santi

Santi

El Mero Mero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
I say, it's o.k.
If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!

Nevaeh

Nevaeh

Musical Courtesan

• Members
  • 1,164 posts

So much for "Random"....This idea only promotes scripting more and more....

how so?

Posted Image
free siggy just pm me

Decardo Imier

Decardo Imier

Knight of the Balance

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
It stops scripters but it also has an effect on those who dont have much time to go looking for resources each time.

So theres plus and negative points
But overal i say

NAY
Posted Image

Life is the Dance and Honor, the Dance is Death to those we oppose,
Honor is our salvation.
Without Honor the Dance is meaningless
forms and we are nothing.

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

how so?

Dude, I guess you don't mine much... think about it...

A miner grabs(or makes) shovels and either walks to or recalls to a place to mine... With packys (I usually come with two, plus my fire beatle)... and I strip mine the entire cave... I went to this cave because I know of a valorite and 2 verite deposits are there (I use a prospecters tool to plomote the verite spots to valoite).... and I'm off mining... click, click, click, target, move...

Over and over and over and over again.....

This repatission is Why ppl run scipting progs in the 1st place.... I mean its really boring to mine all the time.... Making the odds higher or random only amplifies the affects....To achieve the same requires much more effort for the same amounts of rare ores to common ores...

Go over to TC1 and try it yourself... Please tell us your results....

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Yes - Make the crafters work, they have it way to easy using a rune book to a known location to mine for a specific ore. Besides, the more time they spend in Fel minning, the more likely I will run into them and kill them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DarksieD

DarksieD

The old guy from Atlantic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
personally...I hated mining enough already...didn't need a new reason to hate it
Posted Image

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Scripters win again. There are some that can work out of 3 or 4 rune books and recall out. This gets around BOTH the random ore AND the lack of hiding. Once agian, we get shot for a completely unresearched fix (if that is the SOLE reason they are doing this).

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
Ok I was just on test center 1 for the last hour and a half. Testing the new resource changes. I just tested mining at this time:

Test was done with a human with 120 Blacksmithing, 120 Tinkering, 100 Mining using pickaxes/shovels for a total of 1000 mining attempts. Just stripped mined walking the ore(iron) as I went.

Just mined for ore not stone. And I did not care what size ore pile I got, I counted each ore size as 1 hit no matter the size.

1000 mining attempts yielded:

873 Iron hits yielding 1775 ingots

49 Dull Copper hits yielding 96 ingots
15 Shadow hits yielding 28 ingots
3 Copper hits yielding 6 ingots
10 Bronze hits yielding 18 ingots
28 Gold hits yielding 56 ingots
16 Agapite hits yielding 24 ingots
6 Verite hits yielding 6 ingots
0 Valorite hits yielding 0 ingots

Gonna reload and run it again will post back on second run. Also I did not see any other miner out on my initial run.

Well was going to do another run, but there is no point. Changes are going in without any discussion.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Maybe it's just me, but isn't this change going to make scripting worse?
The more tedious a task becomes, the more likely people will look for ways to automate it.

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Exactly my fear Adam.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Daithi

Daithi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Well, I am not so sure. As of this post we have 8 for and 8 against. I think it WILL reduce scripters because they will no longer be able to go out and find the exact ore they want. This means EVERYONE will have a lot more of the the lesser ore, which will drive their prices down. And for the average miner you no longer need to go to any specific spot, just walk up and down your favorite area, using your favorite mining method, and you should be just fine.

So if I needed 3k of valorite I would be pissed, but if I just wanted some gems, and to replenish my supply overall then the new system is fine.

However as most of you may be thinking, we have little use for the "less valuable" ores so its a waste of all our time. (Should we have a use? like combining them? perhaps)

Lastly it worries me that the overall effect wont slow scripters down enough, so that we the normal users will have given a security trade off that has very little benefit. In this case the costs do out weigh the benefits, but I still do think there will be some affect on scripters.

I just wanted to muddy the waters with my 2 gold pieces.

malk

malk

"Now with Vitamin R!"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I like this change and I script resources in fel.

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
I have been giving this some thought. Depending how it's implemented. It could be a good thing overall. The only downside if properly implemented would be to ore rune book vendors and the lazy infrequent miner.

Let me explain. As an example we have Scripter Miner, Serious Miner, Resource Miner, Casual Miner and Lazy Miner. Scripter Miner has his Valorite runebook of spots. All the other miners have a different runebook but each have some spots that overlap Scripters runebook.

Now EA creates a formula that if a certain spawn area is harvested "X +/- A" number of times in "Y +/- B" amount of time. The resource will respawn a new resource.

Well Scripter Miner starts his illegal program and sends his character off. Well it's not long and all his spots have changed ore type. Now he has to A: Find a new rune book with valorite spots or B: Go looking for valorite spots himself. Now my gut tells me he is to lazy to find his own so he will go looking.

What happens to the other miners? Not all that bad really. They are not likely to ever hit the criteria to force a resource change and unless they have the exact same runebook (highly unlikely). They will come along and find a spot that has changed. They will remove the rune to that spot and put it in a runebook for the correct color ore. They will then find a new spot to mark so they can still have a full runebook of valorite spots. The Lazy Miner will be hit the hardest because he does not want to find new spots so he will go looking for a new runebook. After time it is very likely he will end up with the same runebook that Scripter Miner buys. That is when Lazy Miner will scream about how EA ruined mining :-/ .

I believe Ore Runebook sales will plummet. The reason being is no one will want Scripter Miner to ruin there mining spots. It would ruin there credibility as a runebook seller and also would affect there miner (if they have one).

Of course this illustration was for mining but can be applied to any resource.

Will this change ruin resource gathering? IF implemented correctly I don't think so. I am going to wait and see how EA implements it before I vote.

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Is the change then triggered by harvesting, and not purely random? I have seen no real hard data on the root of the change.

Useful links

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nay, random, resources, yay