Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Video of Luna Lap - Kingdom Reborn 1:08 Slower

- - - - - 108 kingdom lap luna reborn slower video

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
I am currently uploading video captures of a Luna Lap run in both clients. But I can post the results now:

Kingdom Reborn: 2:48
2D Client: 1:40

That is over a minute difference. For the test, I ran around the road of the Luna housing area twice. This was to provide true performance, once when the clients have not seen the houses (2D multi-cache file was deleted for this character) and once after the clients had cached the houses. As you can see, Kingdom Reborn started off good but quickly deteriorated. Houses would load after I ran past, eventually failing to load at all. 2D had almost no slowdowns, even on the first lap before it hadn't a chance to cache the houses.

Even more damning, at the end of the Kingdom Reborn run it took nearly 20 seconds for the houses to load. The client was so far behind it could not catch up. If anyone wants to know why I hate Kingdom Reborn so much, these videos explain it all. The client is so wasteful with system resources and runs no where near as well as 2D does. I have a couple video capture trial programs and my system nearly crashed when I opened one with Kingdom Reborn. This one did not appear to cause any additional lag for KR. Also, that program runs just fine with 2D.

One additional aspect to this is that Kingdom Reborn may be degrading shard performance. As you can see, the Kingdom Reborn client does not appear to cache houses in any way. That means every time a Kingdom Reborn user passes a house, the server needs to send all that data again. This could spell disaster if too many people start using the client.

System Specifications
2.0GHz Pentuim M
1,256MB Ram
128MB Radeon Mobility x300 with latest Omega gaming drivers

Kingdom Reborn Run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wby1hajklFE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wby1hajklFE

2D Client Run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBCXgEmoAwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBCXgEmoAwQ

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Thanks for the update JC. Not smart enough on hardware to comment. :-X

Remember, with KR, we are getting exactly what we paid for.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Crypt Keeper(CK)

Crypt Keeper(CK)

Guildmaster of ATD, Defender of Paxlair!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
My question is how did you stop running, it takes me forever to stop my char, open doors. It's a pain just to get out side the damn house lol. I have to admit it keeps looking better and better but its pointles if you can play.
Posted Image

UOGuy...

UOGuy...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
This is exactly the Lagg I was talking about...

Nice to know its NOT my:
Hardware...
Video card...
Connection...

It IS deffinatly the software...

Keep trying guys, maybe in a year or two it will be accepted...

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
The Luna lap is less about graphics and more about raw client processing power. It has to handle tons of vendors and house tiles and other stuff. 2D goes through it no problem while Kingdom Reborn chokes on everything. There are MMOs which have failed because the client just couldn't be done right. People are not taking into account that there might just be something seriously wrong with the foundation. After all, the developers have done several "optimization" patches now and there has not been a noticeable improvement for most people.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I have noticed the exact same thing and Im using a performence gaming computer. The 2d client was a revolutionary gaming engine. Although it may be old it has NOT outlived its usefulness. As many game creaters and software engineers know you can polish up old code. For those of you that dont know the difference between re model and re skin here is an example.

2d is a 1965 Mustang = bit out of date and out of style, runs good but needs some work

KR is Hummer H2 jacked up and pimped out - large and intimidating looking, bit dull and clunky, gas hog, slower than other vehivles, not built as good as the origional.

Thats basically what they are. To each his own I say, people are going to love and hate KR. In my opinion since they love KR why not keep it. I know its a drain on resources but If I ran EA I wouldnt kill any of the products I made. I would continue to design more content and repair the old stuff. Some people liked the third dawn 3d stuff, can't say I did but people were mad and SOME did leave because of this.
Power is not given, it is taken!

Spree

Spree

I ♥ ORKIES !!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
At least you can move in KR I did short run time in 2d 10 second time in KR 1 minute 40 seconds. I log in the KR once a week to see if it gets better It never does it getting laggyer each week. I send them 8 to 10 bug reports how much the new client suck. You would think it would run a P4 2.4 gigahertz with 1 gig memory and nvidia 5200 card
Posted Image
Ahh. Sorry to misinform. I redirect your questions on all things Stratics to Delilah ~ TizzyL

xion323

xion323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
This is why I think I quit UO so long ago, the 2d client ran beautifully, but i didnt like the ui. 3d had a great ui, but ran like crap. Can the 2d interface be editted to be more like 3d in that I press enter to start chatting so i can have macros that dont require ctrl or alt or sme combination there of, thus allowing me to have the best of both worlds?

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
xion323 "IF" they keep making the big improvements on KR. It will be the client you will want to choose. Right now it's behind 2D in performance. In a lot of other ways it is far superior to 2D. Sadly to say until the performance gets better. It will be tough for people to seriously try it :-/

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 108, kingdom, lap, luna, reborn, slower, video