Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

(OOC) Roleplayer with a problem

- - - - - ooc problem roleplayer

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Guest_Syfe_*

Guest_Syfe_*
  • Guests
So! I've spent two days getting Kingdom Reborn downloaded. Bought myself a shiny new key and activated my account. My eyes fixed firmly on the Europa shard because, obviously, there is a lot of rp there.. I log in..

Horrible latency. I run in place for five seconds before moving. I open up the command prompt, ping the europa.owo.com address... Zero packet loss, average ping time is 184ms... Ooooookaaaay.... What the heck? I try other shards, runs smoothly. So that means from here (Texas) to wherever the shard is (Somewhere in europe methinks. Duh.) there is a problem. So I'll hafta pick a different shard.

Problem is I am a roleplayer. I go where the roleplay is. If I can't pick what seems to be the roleplay shard, what am I to do?

I'm open up for suggestions. Is there any other shard with as much rp as Europa?

I'm rather disheartened by all this, to be honest.

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Welcome to UO Forums and to UO Syfe :) .

Not sure what to suggest. Role playing is best on Europa (as far as I can tell). Chessy has some but not sure how much. Maybe some RP'rs from other shards will pop in and give you a heads up.

Have you tried the 2D client to see if the lag was any better?

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Guest_Syfe_*

Guest_Syfe_*
  • Guests
Yep. Tried the 2d client. First thing I tried, actually.

I'm sure it has something to do with my DSL. I live in a rural area, five miles out of town and my internet is crazier than that one uncle with a drinking problem.

I know in World of Warcraft it gives me latency that'll be just fine, 200ms or so... Then... WHAM! 800ms for hours. Nothing I can do since it is the only broadband available and the people that work for it are apparently mentally disinclined.

*grumbles*

And thanks for the welcome, however short my tenure here might be.

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Makes it really tough when you only have one choice and it's not all that great :( .

Did you play at all on Europa? It seems that 184 is high to PvP on most shards but with RP PvP wasn't sure it would be that bad.

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_Syfe_*

Guest_Syfe_*
  • Guests
That's the thing. It doesn't seem like 184. It acts more like.. say... 800 or 1k. Running in place for a good five seconds? That isn't 184ms. No way.

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
IF you are using KR that could be the case. Not sure why but KR can be extremely laggy compared to 2D. It's gotten a lot better in the last month. Sadly to say it still has a ways to go :( . Now if you have that problem in 2D not sure what to say.

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Chessy has promise, but I would definitely make an effort to RP on Europa with Core. Pac has ElF and the Pacific Role Players Community for RP. All of those groups are fun. Origin is dead concerning RP.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ned Stark

Ned Stark

Governor of Vespenland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
Thats a monsterously high ping! I used to play on an italian server (im from the UK), with a 56k connection; this is years back, and my ping was 256ms!

But with 8mg my ping to Europa is <50. I feel sorry for ya, cos Europa RP really does rock!

I hope you get it fixed, so you can come join us! (Look to Vesper :P)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_Syfe_*

Guest_Syfe_*
  • Guests
I'll keep giving it the ol' college try. But my ISP informed me today that there simply isn't anything else they can do besides what they have done in the past.

It -does- seem to get better later in the evening. But seeing how I'm in central time, and this server is in Europe... Well.. Yeah.

The excuse my ISP used was that DSL was very "bursty". I pay 70 dollars a month for 512kbps/256kbps download/upload. They have me bumped to 768kbps/512kbps for no extra charge, which actually costs nearly 200 dollars a month if I had it.... Sucks. I know. But that is what happens when you live three to five miles out of your town.

But anyhow. Like I said. I'll keep giving it a try 'till my subscription runs out.

Crypt Keeper(CK)

Crypt Keeper(CK)

Guildmaster of ATD, Defender of Paxlair!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
I would say sonoma but I hate to lie heh. I rp on Chessie these days, Paxlair has a hell of a storyline going!
Posted Image

Crypt Keeper(CK)

Crypt Keeper(CK)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
BTW, if you decide on chessie let me know I will hook ya up best I can
Posted Image

Decardo Imier

Decardo Imier

Knight of the Balance

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
Welcome to uo forums and UO

I RP on Europa and i found when i was in Canada for 6mths i could play okay. I did have some latency which meant i died where i normally wouldnt ( when down hunting) but for RP it was generally fine.

But that was using 2d client on a 4-5meg connection.
Posted Image

Life is the Dance and Honor, the Dance is Death to those we oppose,
Honor is our salvation.
Without Honor the Dance is meaningless
forms and we are nothing.

Omera

Omera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
if the lag ever stops...
join da waaagh!
http://www.uoforums....play.php?f=1132
Posted Image

Kusghuul

Kusghuul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hmmmm... Hope it works out=) Europa RP is still going strong!

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
70 bux for that connection? I pay 30 bux a month for 15mb a second. dunno how that company can get away with that! FOR SHAME!
Power is not given, it is taken!

Flipper

Flipper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i dont think its the fact of where you are im a rper on europa from San Antonio Texas. and i must say with my connection i can cause some problums in the rp world . Btw if you get lag done
Join Tremere
Join Brigends of the Fort
Join VTC

Pennywise

Pennywise

Crumbpicker, dat der Renaissance Manz of da Werlds!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
Y-y-y-ya gotta work the shard nearest where you live. If ya live in Kentucky, playing roleplay in Europa ain't gonna be NASCAR, if ya no what I mean.

Catskills maybe.

Crypt Keeper(CK)

Crypt Keeper(CK)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

If ya live in Kentucky, playing roleplay in Europa ain't gonna be NASCAR, if ya no what I mean.

I live in kentucky, I role play

Europe is slow fer me from over yonder
Posted Image

Floria

Floria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Catskills probably got the most RP from the American Servers.

But for getting a better ping, there's not much that can be done. Because it's old UO has no real "prediction" code like WoW has, that's what UO is laggy when WoW isn't with the same ping. WoW just guesses what you may want to do and often gets it right, thus it appears like there is little lag.

I can play WoW fine with 400 ping (PvP is tricky tough) but UO is almost unplayable with this latency.

Posted Image

Robert Falcon

Robert Falcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm in Iowa CST and have no issues playing in Europa "Best RP Shard in UO" if I do say so myself, and I do!!! I live in a hmm...very small town. No lag so far, been almost 10 months. And by the way, BoC is the way to go!!!! FOR COVE!!! FOR THE BARON!!!! FOR THE ALE!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ooc, problem, roleplayer