Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

EA's approach to a service.

- - - - - approach ea service

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
For this thought, let's first use an analogy. I will use the analogy of a lawn service. The following terms may be substituted to see where we are going. I am using a lawn service because it is almost universal and a majority of us know the perceptual qualities of a good lawn versus a bad lawn.

Lawn - UO
reseed - expansion
mowing - maintenance (servers,balance, client)
Weedkilling - bug correction

I have a lawn. I want a lawn service to maintain my yard. I retain the services of company to do this for me. My expectations (as a customer) are:
My lawn will be mowed.
My lawn will have no weeds.
My lawn will be reseeded periodically.

My lawn SHOULD look like this
Posted Image

After three years, I sit down and look at overall service performance. I see that:
My lawn is mowed once every two years.
My lawn is reseeded twice a year (on average).
Weedkilling is done spordacially.

So, after three years, what does my lawn look like?
Posted Image

The mower is my new lawn service (WOW).

So what can a company do to get caught up, stay caught up, retain customers, and expand into new markets? Service industry business models provide alot of guidance. Specifically to UO, as gameplayers, we have every right to expect:
1) Monthly bug fix publishes
2) Monthly story arcs
3) Semi-annual stories (comprised of 4 arcs)
4) Annual maintenance publishes (anniversary expansion)
5) Annual expansion.

Basically, UO executive staff should sit down, and rehash their mission statement. Then apply it.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Mic

Mic

Tigurius

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hahahahahahahahahahahah! I love it! Kudos for that!

Deraj

Deraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Basically, UO executive staff should sit down, and rehash their mission statement. Then apply it.

I agree with this statement, however there is one potential problem. Whatever they "rehash" could ultimately destroy the last bastions of originality in this game.

Ultima Online is like a lego set that a kid (i.e. the shifting dev team) has been playing with. The kid started building a castle, but halfway through decided to build an amusement park. Now what do we have?

Nothing I have seen in UO in the recent years has been even remotely original or innovative, and because of this I have lost faith in EA's ability to build a great "Ultima" game. I agree that EA needs to go back to the beginning and really figure out what this game is going to be about, but are they really capable?

Are they capable of agreeing with me, which as we all know is the only correct way?
Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away,
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why,
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire.

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

If they did that... they would charge us for the misson statement as a new expansion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Since I am not an expert on programing. How many man hours would it take to reseed (create an expansion)? The reason I ask is we want weedeating/mowing done faithfully. If they are ever to reseed (create an expansion) what percent of a work week would we want them to spend on reseeding (planning and programing for the expansion)? If it is to little and reseeding (expansions) happen every two to three years is that financially feasible for EA? If it is to much ...... well I think we can all agree with baldguys illustration :( .

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
WEll, going off facts that they have dropped:
6 months to get UOKR to its present "finsished" state ( so really, 12 months for a new client, as it was only half done IMO)

5 months for UOML, UOSE. 8 months for UOAOS. Given that ALL of them were unfinshed products, with RUSHED implementation of final sysyems (some are real polished, some are clunky), I would say that 30% of a work week per YEAR be given to expansions.

This is the weakpoint of expansions. I really prefer the original intent of scnenarios (which, by the way, has been adopted by Mythic for use in DAOC, but not for us, the originating game). Scenarios were supposed to replace expansions, with addition of new content per scenario. When you look at all the scenario success facts, it is astounding:
1) NO reverts... ever
2) NO bugs .... ever
3) No balance issues .... ever
4) The majority of the items (aside from tribal spears, orc bows, tribal masks) are STILL in very wide spread use. WHo does NOT have a beetle? Who does NOT use a bag of sending? HOw many PvP'ers love the bola?

With scenarios, the rush to go "GOLD" is diminished. You only have X systems too worry about. You can alternate the flavor of scenarios between the various player preferences ( one mainly tamer/bard system/thunter/fisher, one new pvp systems, one new crafter systems, one new warrior systems, etc). You get a constant trickle of new things to perk your interest, instead of a flash flood of new content. This would keep the game vibrant.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts

I agree with this statement, however there is one potential problem. Whatever they "rehash" could ultimately destroy the last bastions of originality in this game.

Ultima Online is like a lego set that a kid (i.e. the shifting dev team) has been playing with. The kid started building a castle, but halfway through decided to build an amusement park. Now what do we have?

Nothing I have seen in UO in the recent years has been even remotely original or innovative, and because of this I have lost faith in EA's ability to build a great "Ultima" game. I agree that EA needs to go back to the beginning and really figure out what this game is going to be about, but are they really capable?

Are they capable of agreeing with me, which as we all know is the only correct way?

DESPITE ALL THE IN -DIFFRENCES THE CORE FOUNDATION IS THERE AND STRONG .i HAVE A DIFFRINT TAKE ON IT IN THE BEGINIJGN EA CREATED A WORLD WITHOUT LAWS AND BOUNDRIES THEN LAWS TOOK EFFECT EXAMPEL TRAMMEL.ALOT OF PEOLE HATE TRAMMEL I PERWSONAL DON'T HATE IT IT WORKS JUST NEEDS MODIFICATION.BUT THE WHEELS OF MOTION ARE PUT NTOPLACE ISN'T UP TO US THE PLAYERS TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT KEEP THE WORLD OF UO FUN AND EJOYABLE.TAKE OUR WORLD FOR INSTANCE WHEN IT WAS CREATED IT EVOLVED ON IT'S OWN WITH PEOPLE STARTED OFF NO RULES THEN RULES AND LAWS WERRE PUT IN EFFECT.I DON'T THINK THEY ARE CAPABLE ARE CREATIGN A PERECT GAME PERFECTION DIFFERS FROM ONE PERSON TO THE NEXT.IT JUST NEEDS SOME TWEAKS .MABEY WERE MAKING IT MORE THEN WHAT IT IS IF I CAN SIT AT A TABLE AND PLAY A BOARD GAME FOR HOURS WHICH IM SURE YOU ALL CAN AND DONE MABEY WE CAN PUT OUR RESOURCES TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE THE GAME IS FUN NOT PERFECT YOU MEET FRIENDS AND GREAT PEOLE EVERYDAY IS DIFFRINT JUST LIKE WHEN YOU SHUT OFF YOUR PC.MABEY I AM JUST BABLING IF I AM I AM SORRY I WROTE SO MUCH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: approach, ea, service