Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What UO used to be, and still should be.

- - - - - uo

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I don't think AOS was solely responsible for that drop, as there were other games coming out at that time, or around abouts, but I do think AOS was a mess

I agree.

I'm a big felucca person. I won't get into that now. But if it came down to either taking away Trammel or taking away AoS's item property changes & insurance, I would pick AoS changes any day.

draken

draken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
ya summ it up it SUCKS!!!

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Just had to add this in for giggles "hate the game not the player"
Power is not given, it is taken!

Paragon

Paragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
I wasnt here before AOS, so I don't know about that...

I do know that I have started playing more and more in fel. But that would come to an abrupt halt if there was no insurance. It just takes too much time and effort (not to mention gold) to put together a good suit to have it taken in one unexpected gank.

And these new changes... especially the tactics thing is just.. well.. bad.
I havent talked to a single person in-game that thinks it was a good idea.

You don't have to nerf stuff to keep the game balanced. Survival of the fittest takes care of that. If you think there is some template that is the best template.. just copy it! I have found in my playing that whatever template you try to make, there is one out there that counters it. Thats all the balance we need.

Look at the rune beetle thing. I have a tamer. Yes my rune beetle did a lot of damage to travesty. But how many hours did I have to spend on the sphynx getting crap loot to make him that way?

How many hours have we ran around casting spells or using skills to get that pvp template into the 120s?

Adding new graphics and a different player interface may bring in new players. But when a player realises that all of their hard work building up a character can suddenly be nullified by a nerf... they will not stay. I know of 3 people myself that have said they will be leaving to play LOTR as soon as their current subsciption expires.

This may be a totally useless rant. But I don't have a dev's phone number so I can scream at them.. so you guys took the brunt on this one.. sorry

Saphireena

Saphireena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

IMO what should have happened is that the facet we know as trammel should have been fel and the facet know as fel should have been trammel. This would have left all the player built cities/communities intact for the most part and all the reds and anyone else that wanted to go could have go. Heck it could have been explained better then it was. Something to the effect that Lord British was banning all criminals and other shady person to a completely lawless land to survive as they saw fit.

With the player towns/communities mostly intact, I think UO would have not lost as many players as they have. There would not have been as much upheavel as there was on all the shards.

I agree with every word of this!!!
Posted Image

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

What people remember and like was the "newness" of it. it was the first MMO and that was exciting, not the code. I tried a ah..... free shard shhh... with old rules and I was board in 5 min. and never tried one again.

even now I still do not see a MMO out there that can compare to the scope of UO. it may not be shiny and new but the current version still offers more then what I have seen in other games and older rule sets.

the only things I look back on and miss are the people I played with not the code of the game.

Bingo!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

draken

draken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
noticed lot peep saying things about insurance yes insure is a must now but at that time best armor could be looted easly off orc brutes or made with a gm smith far as char being nerfed ya it sux uo fixes there mistake by screwing up somethig else far as hating the game i do unfortuantly its an addiction but 1 can only take so much

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
My first exposure to UO was back in the days of UO:R when I managed to get my hands on a manual. I remember reading about crafting archery equipment and was very impressed with how the entire game sounded. Here was a world where i could become a bowyer and roam the land selling my goods! Awesome! Due to some small hurdles though i was not able to become part of this world until many years later (no computer/lack of money=no UO). *Sigh*. Oh the torture! I wanted so very much to see Sosaria!

I was never able to take part in the "glory" days of UO but I can appreciate the idea of a simpler time. No insurance, no arti's, no ninjitsu etc etc (no offense meant ninjitsu users :)). But then again, I can honestly say that my view of a simpler time is also partially a romanticized flight of fancy. The world changes as time passes, the world within UO is no exception.

That is what UO is at heart though isn't it? An ever changing world filled with many different people holding many different views. Things will change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. UO holds a special place in my heart though, for what it was, what it is, and what it will be. I simply can't leave it behind! :<3

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
*nods* well said

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

noixiata

noixiata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Very interesting read..
In my case, as one cleverly pointed out, it's the players I miss from the old days, not particularly any kind of code. And the ability to become lost at every step everywhere I took, asking for directions.. etc.

Posted Image

"..the first lesson: that we must be
powerful, beautiful and without regret.."
- Armand

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uo