Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What UO used to be, and still should be.

- - - - - uo

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

lolwut

lolwut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
what i don't get is, would it really cost them that much to maintain one extra shard? they constantly put up test shards anyway... why not make one long term test shard for a few months with classic UO rules? hell, i would be satisfied even if they did nothing else but get rid of all the AoS items that changed PvP so drastically

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Good lord I would of LOOOOOOOVVVED to see Necromancy in the Pre AoS UO system.

Necro was suppose to have been added prior to AoS... they had the regents spawning in game, yet EA had issues with the actual skill and didnt intro it until AoS....

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

I’m too am an old fashioned UO player. I played from UO’s release to about a couple months after release the release of AOS and returned earlier this year. I can adapt to the new UO but, I must admit the one thing that does bug me is the brightly coloured armor and weapons. It ruins the medieval feel UO once had.

I disagree with this point completely. It seems that in the modern times, we think of the medieval period as drab and colorless, when in fact they used color whenever possible to brighten their existence. For some reason folks think colored clothes only appeared in recent history.=) Perhaps you personally feel it diminishes the game, and I understand that, please don't take my comments as a criticism. Although I use tok dyes, both clothing and hair, I try to minimize it on all my characters. I have no real "drastic" colorings. In fact, I have Ice yellow hair on one character, and after doing it realized I really didn't like it...especially on a necromancer lol.....so now she wears a Shroud of Shadows so it can't be seen. I was too cheap to dye it again given what I paid at the time to do it. Anyway, my favorite color on my chars is nox green robe with brown accessories and a monk brown robe with yellow accessories. Looks "brighter" without being gaudy and I think fits the spirit of the game better. Anyway, I'm rambling, so take the above FWIW.

lolwut

lolwut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I disagree with this point completely. It seems that in the modern times, we think of the medieval period as drab and colorless, when in fact they used color whenever possible to brighten their existence

i doubt they had any neon blue clothes so bright that they damn near blind your eyes

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Actually colors that bright have been around since ancient Egypt. Perhaps not "neon", but still very bright colors. I understand the point, I simply wanted to comment that we act like it was dull and grey all the time back then, when in fact it wasn't.

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
The only medievil or paleoethic people to have dyed clothing were nobles and rich people. Dye was hard to come by especially in europe and asia. About the only true bright colors that seem to be widely available via trade were the egyptions "royal purple" that was squezed from snail like animals, and the romans were very found of this purple as they used it for the dress uniform of the praetorians. The Romans also used a dye they called Crimson. (possibly from a plant flower but im not sure) So in actuality unless you are a heavy merchent in the indies or a wealthy king, you didnt have brightly colored clothing.

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I dont want to argue with anyone on this subject this is just according to my studies and a historian. We all know of course that the world of UO is not like out real life world. And the fact that there is bright clothing is not out of the question. I just know from the old UO games on the apple brightly colored cloths were actually seen a lot. (most likely because shading took to long and the graphics had little color anyway)

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

If they decided to create a classic server I think you would see an initial rush of people to it for sure, but that would quickly die off and it would become another low population shard, more of a 'niche' shard than anything and I think that EAMythic probably knows this as well.

which why a long term test shard would be the way to go ... to see if the interest would be long term and worth the time to set one or two up perm like...

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I think if they set up a classic UO shard a lot of people would go there. I think a lot will leave after awhile when they see the new advancements UO takes but quite a few will stay. Would probably be a good sized shard. Wouldnt be much maintenance, but I dont think EA will add anything extra to it IE: No new quests, no new items, (including vet rewards) The shard would probably be sort of neglected just the usual repairs and no updates. A lot of people in my day left UO because they did everything possible the game had to offer. Then LBR came out and most of them came back. People get bored. But if you dont get bored with a classic UO that will never have anything new then by all means vote for a server. You will never see me on it because I like new things and challenges. "Can't dwell in the past forever"

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
many companies have intro'd retro products.. there is a desire to relive or hold on to the past by many in todays world... a simpler time... which is what I think the draw is to a "classic" shard....

And as with the comment made by a few on stractics on the idea that 2D will not get any new content and only KR will is wrong as if EA sees that either the client or such a classic shard is generating revenue.. maybe at a set amount they (EA) will invest in such shard or client... I dont think Siege is generating enough due to EA outright having stated a couple of times last year that they need more players on it before they will do anything for it... in fact EA hinted at that the shard just maybe shut down... but a new group has come in since those statements so who knows now what their view is on Siege... but regardless if there is money being generated EA will invest back in it... in some way or the other...

my feelings on it at least

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I agree totally. If it makes EA money they will do it. All the money they spent trying to keep people from leaving UO they should have invested that is a classic server. Ive seen such things before when I worked on the online game Counter-Strike. Many people didnt like the newest version so they created servers for just the old. The problem was you still need to maintain those server and update them according to the advancement of computers. Some of the older UO scripts wont work for many new computer today. They would have to take the time to change this. Many companys have created emulaters or reworked scripts to play older games. Heck you can go download space invader the first version from the atari 2600 onto your computer. EA can make a classic UO shard. Its just a matter of how many people will play on it and if it will generate revenue. In my opinion I think it will make enough money to continue funtion. Not so much of having great support or latencey. Just enough to get by.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

The only medievil or paleoethic people to have dyed clothing were nobles and rich people. Dye was hard to come by especially in europe and asia. About the only true bright colors that seem to be widely available via trade were the egyptions "royal purple" that was squezed from snail like animals, and the romans were very found of this purple as they used it for the dress uniform of the praetorians. The Romans also used a dye they called Crimson. (possibly from a plant flower but im not sure) So in actuality unless you are a heavy merchent in the indies or a wealthy king, you didnt have brightly colored clothing.

Yes, dyes were "hard" to come by, but those were for the rarest colors (purple and scarlet), other colors were not so difficult to come by and were in fact utilized in clothing/decorating. Again, my point was strictly that medieval times were NOT grey/black/white.

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
If they made a classic UO shard and implented the new changes (AoS etc.) according with the old system (old resist, combat etc.) and continued developing new stuff in accordance with the old system, I think the shard would be absolutely huge. I think it would take out WoW or whatever garbage is currently #1. Yes, even with those "bad" 2D graphics. UO has the potential to be the best MMORPG. A few years back UO already had that title but for some reason they changed everything.

Sure, there would be the few grippers who take the game far too seriously and would scoff at the shard but who cares.

lolwut

lolwut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

which why a long term test shard would be the way to go ... to see if the interest would be long term and worth the time to set one or two up perm like...

exactly. i can't for the life of me figure out why they haven't already done that. a test shard shouldn't take much off their resources

Wouldnt be much maintenance, but I dont think EA will add anything extra to it IE: No new quests, no new items, (including vet rewards) The shard would probably be sort of neglected just the usual repairs and no updates.

that would be just perfect. i'm pretty sure most of the people requesting a classic shard are NOT looking for quests or new items
http://www.petitiono...e/petition.html

SIGN IT. in hopes of bringing back classic UO

Ned Stark

Ned Stark

Governor of Vespenland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
I played on a pre-AoS shard for 6 years, and i love OSI! :)

There are something that make so much more sense now, like the resists work well!
I guess i like it more because the roleplay community doesnt use all these magic items, maybe you should all come to Europa? ;)

But yeah, its a shame that UO has become SO magic item orientated like WoW, but you can still fight without them you know?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
You sure can. But even though I like to RPG, I still like to play "seriously" if you know what I mean.

lolwut

lolwut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
seriously, has anyone tried to recently contact EA and ask them about a classic shard? the last time i heard them state anything about it was 2+ years ago.
http://www.petitiono...e/petition.html

SIGN IT. in hopes of bringing back classic UO

Brett

Brett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just came across this, and don't know why I hadn't posted it before.

A lot of people are saying it would be hard for them to know what exactly the game was like before trammel. I will argue that it would be extremely simple. Uo.com has kept track of every update since the end of 1999, almost a year before the reniassance publish. All they would have to do is undo all of the changes made since that publish, as they are all detailed in the latest updates list:

Latest updates: http://update.uo.com/latest.html

Reniassance publish: http://update.uo.com/design_196.html

gogouo

gogouo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've played UO when it first came out, before Trammel. *swoons* Such great times!

I was never a PK, but I loved that if you ventured out of the cities, you'd have to listen footsteps and be alert. So realistic!

Brett

Brett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
What made UO so great back in those days is, bad things could happen to you. No matter where you were in the world, you were never 100% safe, much like in real life.

Even in the middle of town next to the west brit bank, three mages might try to drop FS's on you before the guards killed them.

With the addition of trammel, this was lost. No more were you forced to deal with these problems. If you wanted to risk getting PKd, you could just go to fel, and take that risk. If you didn't want that risk, you could stay in tram. This became a risk no longer. Going to fel meant you were ready to pvp, and thus all sense of risk was lost. It was merely a calculated chance which you would be prepared for.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uo