Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What UO used to be, and still should be.

- - - - - uo

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Forgot about the decor items from ToT :-/ . Good point :)

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Even if it's a "classic", they will be paying and therefore expect, additions, new content in some shape or form. I just don't see the company providing the resources. They have a hard enough time with the differences on Siege/Mugen vs regular shards. I just don't see it ever happening, besides I prefer the resources they do have be used for improvement of the game in it's current form. *shrugs*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I would like them to admit they screwed up royaly then revert to Pre AoS then add the AoS changes that they poorly implemented and start over from there. I loved the idea of AoS but why they had to change the WHOLE game system?!?! (Insurance, weapon stats etc). Stupid. They shot themselves in the foot. Seems like this whole thing was just a bad beta since AoS. In my opinion the game is dead and so I move on.

Edit: But I love these boards ;) and I do hope one day that the people who run UO realize what they have in their hands.

Pandajuice

Pandajuice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
It's all well and good to be nostalgic and wish you were 13 years old again, but at the time, being 13 was a pain in the butt and you always wished you were grown up.

It's the same with UO. I played before Trammel and I quit UO because of that fact. After 7 years, I came back and I love it how it is now. It is so much better in so many other ways that it makes the "carebearification" of some aspects acceptable.

Remember when we could only have 10 or so specific house templates, most of which were small, single room houses? And even then, it took you weeks to save up the gold you needed to buy one. Oh, and that's if you could find a free spot somewhere in the world. You want a tower? Forget it.
Remember when there were no cool looking, rare deco items? Remember when the only mounts in the game were plain, normal horses? Remember when there were no runebooks? No Chiv, necro, bushido, spellweaving, ninjitsu; and spirit speak only let you talk to ghosts?

Instead of being nostalgic and wishing for the old days, try to remember some of the bad days you had as well as the good ones; the good changes as well as the bad. It'll balance out your memories and make you miss the "old days" a bit less I think and enjoy your present days.

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Honestly.. what is the theme of the classic shard posts?

1: no insurance
2: pre AOS aka no mods out side of the damage increase on weapons and the defence bit on armor... dex penalty with plate (offset by higher defence)
3: no specials
4: 7x GM characters being viable
5: crafting being of some use
6: can pvp with the gear you can make or loot off of mobs or other players or even buy from the npc vendors...
7: a simple world (no number crunching with the mods)

The shard would be just for a long term test to see if the player base would actually support such a shard/s so the addition of content isnt a issue from that purpose....

The earlier in the time period of UO the better....with it being non consensual everywhere one would for a period still beable to avoid it yet still have this risk folks claim all the time about that was part of the magic of UO...

No need to ponder what makes a classic shard... just turn off everything that came in the game from P16 forward...(think thats the one that intro'd power scrolls and bonding for pets and the control slots)

And let it run for a year and at the end of that year... take the data and see if it would cover the cost of the shard .. as in adding 3 perm ones.. one on the west coast, one central and one on the east coast.... prolly do a test for the asian market also to see how they react to it ...

Point Im getting at is that it is real easy to say over and over you want want its needed its wanted I'd play it , it would bring back players ect ... but to put those words into action is a different matter....

I really dont understand why all the we want a classic shard folks dont all get together on a central shard and commit to doing what they can to show EA that there is a market for it... it be simple to cast away the arties and new skills and just play with npc bought gear and the classic skills... it wouldnt be perfect but it would show EA that they are willing to walk the talk...

And yes there would be folks that would be pains and not follow the rest and they could police those that chose to screw with the community...which is another supposed view of the classic period of UO anyways...

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
Again you state its easy,

And you list 7 things which I read as your version of a classic shard? Yes?

The problem comes in with again what is the right set to make up a classic shard.

Heck I know a few people that still tell me to this day that it should just be the original game world as released (ie no t2a and beyond, because t2a is a poorly design area).

You are never going to get any type of agreement of what should be in or out. They you are going to get people that say yeah I want it the way it used to be but, I want bags of sending, my sixth character slot, insert whatever feature you like added since pub 16, etc...

Just realize its not going to happen. If you wish to experiment with this type of shard, well there are quite a few non-approved EAMythic shards running out there.

Thats the closest you are going to get to a classic shard.

The way people have voted for a classic shard, is the simple fact that total subscription numbers have declined steadly over the past few years. Every player that leaves is because of some problem they perceive with the game. Changes that they do not see as positive, or advancing their game play. So they vote with their wallet.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Im saying logic says its easy due to the fact EA can turn off features and turn them on...

Im saying its easy just to Do it for a test without dealing with new content or which phase of UO to do... just do it.. pick a point and set up a long term test shard.....

I dont care to relive the past... I dont see the good times outweighing the bad times.. I believe people do not change that much and would return to the path that messed up the ONE land apsect that was Sosaria

There is a single mom with a 15 year old son and a 14 year old son that have their own shard set up and running... they used the 9th anny disc and they have it set up like the old days ... mechanics wise...

If they can do it with the tools out there I see no reason why EA cant outside EA does not wish to risk the being shown that there is a very large following of the old style and dare not care to have the fact that maybe they have screwed up in the path they have taken...

I honestly could care less outside of EA checking it out.... letting the players that clamor for a classic to put up or shut up .....

Money is money no matter the source it comes from.. and if they could increase the revenue generated by UO thru another specialty set of shards or one shard why not do it??

Anyways... the "what if" is always a interesting thing to discuss

Brett

Brett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Everyones making all these great posts, I feel like I should contribute more. Sadly, I'm at work right now and unable to type much.

I think the main thing that changed which differentiates old school uo from new uo, is the element based resist system, and the magic find system. When these were implemented, it became necessary to have good gear to compete.

These things are what made insurance popular. If you didn't need good gear to compete in the world, why would you even need insurance?

If they simply made a shard with old style item properties (items had NO properties back in the day, weapons had damage and speed and armor had armor rating) and old style magic resist, then I would be satisfied.

I'm sure theres many things I missed, I cant really think of them all right now.

However, to put my statement into simple terms. I think UO took a turn for the worst when it was morphed from a skill based game, to an item based game.

Once top end gear became necessary for survival, UO was a different game.

Brett

Brett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Again you state its easy,

And you list 7 things which I read as your version of a classic shard? Yes?

The problem comes in with again what is the right set to make up a classic shard.

Heck I know a few people that still tell me to this day that it should just be the original game world as released (ie no t2a and beyond, because t2a is a poorly design area).

You are never going to get any type of agreement of what should be in or out. They you are going to get people that say yeah I want it the way it used to be but, I want bags of sending, my sixth character slot, insert whatever feature you like added since pub 16, etc...

Just realize its not going to happen. If you wish to experiment with this type of shard, well there are quite a few non-approved EAMythic shards running out there.

Thats the closest you are going to get to a classic shard.

The way people have voted for a classic shard, is the simple fact that total subscription numbers have declined steadly over the past few years. Every player that leaves is because of some problem they perceive with the game. Changes that they do not see as positive, or advancing their game play. So they vote with their wallet.

It wouldn't be hard to put a poll up on the UO site, and run a small advertisement scheme. If EA decided to try an old style shard, I'm sure most people would be willing to comprimise. For me, anything before Trammel would be fine.

I bet 90% of the people who want an old school shard would agree with me. Any point before trammel would be optimal. I would love if it was right before trammel, but I would be willing to accept if it was 2 years before trammel, or even 3 months after release.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
I think it would be fairly easy to make a classic shard.

I know ziggy thinks it would be easy, and I can add brett to the list.

Heck we could get everyone here on UOForums to log in to this thread and all agree that it would be easy to make a classic shard.

But the people that you have to actually convince are the people over at EAMythic. Its been stated by them that there are no plans to devote the time, resources, money to provide a classic shard. And they have given many reasons over the years. Which I sited in one of my previous posts.

So the only thing that we can do here is play the what if game. If EAMythic does not want to lay out the resources (even if they could make those back and some, maybe)

We and more importantly EAMythic has to realize that UO has become a niche game. Why they (EAMythic) deny this is beyond me.

Do any of you posters here on UOForums actually believe that KR is going to bring back 150,000+ players to this game? So that we surpass the peak of the subscription base which is the last number that EAMythic actually confirmed (250, 000 accounts). I think not.

There are too many better looking choices out there. Personally I play a game based on it overall gameplay not by how it looks. Thats why I have paid for this game for the last nearly 10 years. Heck I still have some of my older console systems hooked up (turbo-grafx 16, sega master system and others) but I am a game junkie, but there are some great games on these systems. Its not the graphics, its the underlying game systems.

UO needs to return to this and finish systems started and not completed.
Virtues anyone? Factions, we could all add a few to the list.

And how about those systems completed and then discarded. Like the treasures of tokuno?

I hear you say, but dude that was a limited time only event. Yes it was, but if you go back and read the reasons behind them putting the system in was to test a way to reward players by putting items directly into their backpack for accomplishing certain goals. And testing the trade in system with the imperial official in zento.

In the case of the ToT it was slaying a certain number of creatures to get a pay off. I think this system was successful. Why was this system not rolled out in some permanent type way as intially planned? Why create something then never use it?

Heck just turn the damn ToT event back on, I have no idea what the drop rate was for the initial event was. But heck just lower the drop rate from (1 in every 100 if that was the rate) to something like 1 in 500 or 1000. So that you give people a reason to go to the islands, I rarely see people there anymore unless they live in the islands or I see a few in the bottom of the fandancer dojo or outside the citadel.

Oh but then my minors are gonna drop in price. Big deal how much have you made off the minors/majors. Heck by turning down the drop rate, you could even rotate the majors out giving new majors and giving you a new market to exploit. Heck just add in some of the dye colors back. Make the trade in for the dyes, 50 or 75 minors, Heck this alone would keep the price on minors fairly high.

Heck there are plenty of systems that can be tweaked/added to/completed that would make people log in more and give more choices to people.

Heck I am guessing there are more ideas to improve UO, whatever works to keep people interested. I am more than happy to discuss the what ifs.

UO is one of the few games that gives me the freedom to go anywhere, do anything, with anyone/solo, at anytime. And its why I have stayed so long.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

lolwut

lolwut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
well if it's worth anything, i remember the EA staff saying that if enough people showed interest for a classic UO-shard, they might eventually do it.

there's also a petition for it, incase some of you didn't know

http://www.petitiono...e/petition.html

if you seriously want them to make that shard, go sign the petition, spread the word, maybe contact EA about it etc. and who knows, maybe they'll consider doing it. i doubt it though, but i guess it won't hurt to try

Full Circle

Full Circle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have some very fond memories of the early pre trammel and T2a days. I remember many a time dodging Pks just to try get some hunting done north of Minoc or a trip covetous only to be met by PK’s just hiding in side who’ll chase you out and strike you down. I remember the Minoc mine where players would gate in monsters to kill us then rob you bare. It made your blood boil at times but, it really made players band together. Some of my best memories are of blue vs red wars. A person would come running in to town saying PK’s at such a place and load of blues would band together and off we went to get revenge. In the early days of UO when your characters was still pretty weak this is what often happened to you and others on a trip out of town.

Posted Image

Emmortal

Emmortal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
I too have a ton of fond memories of UO pre-Trammel but whether you want to admit it or not, Trammel was immensely popular with the majority of the UO player base at the time. You had people up and moving to trammel in droves to get away from the rampant PK'ing that was happening in many areas. I knew a lot of them at the time and they loved the fact that they could now recall to their houses without the worries of losing everything they had on them. These same people would still go to felucca for some PvP but when they did it was on their terms.

At the time there were also a lot that wanted to and did stay in felucca and the PvP environment was definitely alive and well. Hell I used to sit just outside Vesper on Chesapeake hanging with LoD for a LONG while after trammel and there were still lots of people around.

It wasn't all the changes that have brought UO down to the population it's at now, it's just time that has taken it's toll on the game. We're coming up on the 10th anniversary of the game this September, I think you should be happy UO is even still around.

If they decided to create a classic server I think you would see an initial rush of people to it for sure, but that would quickly die off and it would become another low population shard, more of a 'niche' shard than anything and I think that EAMythic probably knows this as well.

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
The fact that you have a choice in what you do in UO is everything. I quit UO after AoS not because I didnt liek it but because of real life troubles and such. I recently came back a month ago to find a completely new UO much different than the LBR I was use to. At first I didnt like it. But then you have to remember your choices.

I didnt like some of the things the custom houses had. So I just made my custom house look more like the old ones. I didnt like the bright colored armor and the artifacts and all that junk people get in Doom or wherever. So I just use my old vanq weapons and my blacksmiths created armor. Works fine for me. I can still go to Ilsh and kill LBR monsters in Compansion like I did in LBR. The main thing is that you can still choose what you want to do. Want to PK go to fel. If you want to PK in tram join a chaos/order guild. All the old monsters are still there. All the old items are still there. The old items may not be worth as much as they were but they are there. All the old skills are there. I fish up krakkens and deep sea serpents. All though the krakens no longer look like the classic blue corpser they are just as easy to kill as they use to be and still spawn rope and MiB's

The classic UO is still there. Just find it...

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
UO like real life is an ever changing world. Things advance and things slow down and somtimes go back. But if we are never moving forward we would be stuck in the past and it would be boring. Like Amish people in todays advanced world shows everyone that you can live a lifestyle that is old.

Remember UO is old. For as long as its been around, it hasnt changed much.

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Welcome to UO Forums cadethepagan :)

Great thoughts on UO being what you want it to be.

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Thanks for the welcome I hope my interests and knowlege are helpful :)

Brett

Brett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
People keep coming in this thread with posts like "things change, you need to learn to deal with it".

Well, the simple fact is that most of us who are complaining about this have tried (for many months or even years) to deal with it, and we are still not content with what this game has become.

What you need to realize is that this game has not merely changed, it has become a completely different game. Every mechanic, even to the most basic issues such as item storage or even travel, has changed.

Hell, they are even attempting to change the look of the entire world. There's a difference between changing one thing here and one thing there, and absolutely revamping all systems which is what happened when AoS was released.

Sure, trammel was bad and all, as far as most of us who are complaining are concerned. But it was just a small change to a great game. However, when AoS came out and totally revamped the spell and combat system, then UO became a completely different game.

Sure, PvP wasn't originally intended. I don't care. PvP was the main reason that so many people stayed in UO. Even those that sucked at it hoped to one day become accomplished PvPers.

Role players based their entire in game persona on these specific systems, many of them became impossible with the advent of AoS and the new systems.

Quite simply put, when you change the basic core of the combat and spell system in a RPG game where PvP is a big factor, you are essentially changing it into an entirely different game.

There weren't many people who picked up and left right after trammel was released. However, there were quite a few who stopped playing as much. And when one day they logged in to their account which was still active but which they hadn't logged on for a couple weeks, and noticed that their magic resist was no longer useful, and when they noticed that all of their combat skills had to be retrained due to new supporting skills. Then this game became something else.

There were many people who adapted to the game, and learned the new systems, and even learned to love them. However, the fact is that if I wanted to play a game where I needed gear to survive in PvP and I needed 5 specific supporting skills for any one skill to be useful, I would have just went and played AC or DAoC or any of the other games on the market at the time which had those exact things.

UO has become a 2d everquest with limited pvp and the ability to build houses.

Now watch as the expansions continue to roll out and eventually the skill cap is increased (wait that was already done), new lands are introduced (done), new, more "epic" items are introduced (done - uo didn't even used to have any "epic" items), all in a desperate attempt to garner more fanbase and keep the current fanbase interested.

What the devs failed to realize is that the mechanics of UO was never what was keeping people interested in the first place. As some of you have said, most of the mechanics which made UO so great originally were an accident. As the devs continue to introduce more content, and make the current content more complicated, they are turning UO into just another MMORPG. It truly has lost it's identity. The only thing differentiating UO from the rest of the market right now is the fact that it's 2d. Even that will be changed soon.

Feel free to disagree with me, but please show me the courtesy of pointing out specific points I've made that you don't agree with, rather than saying the typical "things change learn to adapt" or "things would get boring if they were the same" lines. Pacman is still fun. Tetris is still fun. I know people who throw the original Mario Bro's in every now and then. Trust me, some things can live without change.

*edit*

I'm not gonna start quoting peoples posts here, but some of you really need to stop making these abstract posts. We aren't talking about something abstract right now, we're talking about something concrete. Trust me, the UO I'm talking about did exist and it wasn't just a dream or a state of mind. It was based on a simple ruleset. Like, classic UO is still there? No. It's not. Classic UO died when I became unable to PvP without farming for gear for hours.

Some people who are disagreeing with me, and some who are agreeing with me, are making these greate posts and pointing out specific reasons and situations. This is what makes a good argument. Saying abstract things like "You can still find it if you seek it" should be left for philosophical discussions. This is most certainly not a philosophical discussion. This is quite literal.

So please, nothing abstract.

Full Circle

Full Circle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

The fact that you have a choice in what you do in UO is everything. I quit UO after AoS not because I didnt liek it but because of real life troubles and such. I recently came back a month ago to find a completely new UO much different than the LBR I was use to. At first I didnt like it. But then you have to remember your choices.

I didnt like some of the things the custom houses had. So I just made my custom house look more like the old ones. I didnt like the bright colored armor and the artifacts and all that junk people get in Doom or wherever. So I just use my old vanq weapons and my blacksmiths created armor. Works fine for me. I can still go to Ilsh and kill LBR monsters in Compansion like I did in LBR. The main thing is that you can still choose what you want to do. Want to PK go to fel. If you want to PK in tram join a chaos/order guild. All the old monsters are still there. All the old items are still there. The old items may not be worth as much as they were but they are there. All the old skills are there. I fish up krakkens and deep sea serpents. All though the krakens no longer look like the classic blue corpser they are just as easy to kill as they use to be and still spawn rope and MiB's

The classic UO is still there. Just find it...

I’m too am an old fashioned UO player. I played from UO’s release to about a couple months after release the release of AOS and returned earlier this year. I can adapt to the new UO but, I must admit the one thing that does bug me is the brightly coloured armor and weapons. It ruins the medieval feel UO once had. It’s silly to see magic build templates equipped with shields because of the stat that allows casting whilst equipped.

I still use my GM smith to make my warrior’s armor and enhanced a weapon I found as a drop. My mage wears a 3 year vet reward robe with a LRC suit underneath with spell book in hand and my mage hat. I also built my house so it fits in to a medieval theme. It would be nice if they could put the medieval feel back in to UO and do away with these brightly coloured items and stick to the ore type colours for metal armors and weapons. It’s not a game killer for me I simply don’t make my characters look like neo multi coloured clown. I agree Uo still retains some of what made it special in the classic days.

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

People keep coming in this thread with posts like "things change, you need to learn to deal with it".

Well, the simple fact is that most of us who are complaining about this have tried (for many months or even years) to deal with it, and we are still not content with what this game has become.

What you need to realize is that this game has not merely changed, it has become a completely different game. Every mechanic, even to the most basic issues such as item storage or even travel, has changed.

Hell, they are even attempting to change the look of the entire world. There's a difference between changing one thing here and one thing there, and absolutely revamping all systems which is what happened when AoS was released.

Sure, trammel was bad and all, as far as most of us who are complaining are concerned. But it was just a small change to a great game. However, when AoS came out and totally revamped the spell and combat system, then UO became a completely different game.

Sure, PvP wasn't originally intended. I don't care. PvP was the main reason that so many people stayed in UO. Even those that sucked at it hoped to one day become accomplished PvPers.

Role players based their entire in game persona on these specific systems, many of them became impossible with the advent of AoS and the new systems.

Quite simply put, when you change the basic core of the combat and spell system in a RPG game where PvP is a big factor, you are essentially changing it into an entirely different game.

There weren't many people who picked up and left right after trammel was released. However, there were quite a few who stopped playing as much. And when one day they logged in to their account which was still active but which they hadn't logged on for a couple weeks, and noticed that their magic resist was no longer useful, and when they noticed that all of their combat skills had to be retrained due to new supporting skills. Then this game became something else.

There were many people who adapted to the game, and learned the new systems, and even learned to love them. However, the fact is that if I wanted to play a game where I needed gear to survive in PvP and I needed 5 specific supporting skills for any one skill to be useful, I would have just went and played AC or DAoC or any of the other games on the market at the time which had those exact things.

UO has become a 2d everquest with limited pvp and the ability to build houses.

Now watch as the expansions continue to roll out and eventually the skill cap is increased (wait that was already done), new lands are introduced (done), new, more "epic" items are introduced (done - uo didn't even used to have any "epic" items), all in a desperate attempt to garner more fanbase and keep the current fanbase interested.

What the devs failed to realize is that the mechanics of UO was never what was keeping people interested in the first place. As some of you have said, most of the mechanics which made UO so great originally were an accident. As the devs continue to introduce more content, and make the current content more complicated, they are turning UO into just another MMORPG. It truly has lost it's identity. The only thing differentiating UO from the rest of the market right now is the fact that it's 2d. Even that will be changed soon.

Feel free to disagree with me, but please show me the courtesy of pointing out specific points I've made that you don't agree with, rather than saying the typical "things change learn to adapt" or "things would get boring if they were the same" lines. Pacman is still fun. Tetris is still fun. I know people who throw the original Mario Bro's in every now and then. Trust me, some things can live without change.

*edit*

I'm not gonna start quoting peoples posts here, but some of you really need to stop making these abstract posts. We aren't talking about something abstract right now, we're talking about something concrete. Trust me, the UO I'm talking about did exist and it wasn't just a dream or a state of mind. It was based on a simple ruleset. Like, classic UO is still there? No. It's not. Classic UO died when I became unable to PvP without farming for gear for hours.

Some people who are disagreeing with me, and some who are agreeing with me, are making these greate posts and pointing out specific reasons and situations. This is what makes a good argument. Saying abstract things like "You can still find it if you seek it" should be left for philosophical discussions. This is most certainly not a philosophical discussion. This is quite literal.

So please, nothing abstract.

Good lord I would of LOOOOOOOVVVED to see Necromancy in the Pre AoS UO system. Same with all the other expansion stuff. Shame :(

I'm one of those that really didn't mind Trammel at all. It provided a place for those who didn't want the greifing. There was plenty of action to go around. I agree that Trammel really wasn't that big of a deal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uo