Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Lag

- - - - - lag

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
I've been experiencing bad lag lately. Usually the game stops maybe 5-15 secs, then it'll be normal again. But it's been happening more and more.

I ran UO Trace Utility but I have no idea what I'm looking at. Is it my ISP?

Here's the trace route to Atlantic:

Posted Image

Here's the trace route to Lake Austin:

Posted Image

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hard to say, although 300ms ping to Atlantic is like being on dialup
I used to get the same from England to west coast USA

Try letting the trace run for a few minutes, so you get more than 41/41
Let it run till you get about 500/500

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
Okay will do.

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
Okay, here's Atlantic again:

Posted Image

And Lake Austin:

Posted Image

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm no expert, but I'd hazard a guess it's your ISP
The second node should have a very low ping time, like 10-15ms
The fact you're getting upwards of 540ms, would result in bad lag

The freezing you mention is normally attributable to packet loss, but you don't appear to be getting any

I would contact your ISP

Btw, are webpages slow to load? or do they load ok?

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
Websites are okay. Not slow at all.

Emmortal

Emmortal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Adam is correct. The entries inside shawcable.net should all be very fast but the first one should actually be less than 20ms at max. You might want to give Shaw a call and see if there is anything that they can do for you. They might ask for you to send the trace routes to them to help diagnose the problem.

My guess would be that someone in your neighborhood is running some serious file sharing and stressing the system in your area. Either that or they just need to upgrade your area to allow for the amount of users they have there, I saw this every now and then when I was on cable but it usually cleared up relatively quickly.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yea I'm guessing the network in your area, is saturated/over subscribed
Or it could be a technical fault somewhere
Have you changed any cabling lately? Like network cabling?
If anything, try unplugging your cable modem for abit and reconnecting it (Can't hurt to try eh?)

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
Well they did just start shaw digital phones in the area. And they just upgraded their network here. I'll email them I guess with the pics and see if they can do anything about it. That's supposed to be High-speed Extreme internet.

They had the monopoly of the cable internet here before, but now they've got competition.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lag