Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Ultima to Ultima Online Lore

- - - - - lore online ultima

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
Is there a website I can go and read the ENTIRE lore from Ultima I and to up to date Ultima Online? I would love to read it, I play in the lands of Sosoria and not know a thing of the history.

If not a website any books anyone recommends to get the lore?

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Carpathia,
Try this http://home.hiwaay.n...carrot/history/. Its an excellent and informative site from an old timer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
if you want to read the FAQ/walkthroughs for the games you can go here
It is the Old Ultima Dragons Web Archive now preserved on UO's web sight.

It has a history section here

The Ultima Dragons have long since departed the lands so the archive is no longer maintained but it will bring you up to the release of UO.

*Insert fabulous signature here*http://www.uoforums.com/image.php?u=2091&type=siguploader&dateline=1114833635

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I found a really good Chronology of Britannia here
it runs up to U8 Pagan. Very detailed, all the information is pulled from the games or the manuals.

now you can find out when the Monks of Empath Abbey begin making wine.
or how the Lizard men came to be!

*Insert fabulous signature here*http://www.uoforums.com/image.php?u=2091&type=siguploader&dateline=1114833635

uoc

uoc

Wasting Away in UOville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Check out Floria's page as well:

http://ultima.floriarama.info/

Evil Ninja Troll

Evil Ninja Troll

I paint Cats.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
http://www.thealmigh...cyclopedia.html

This site has a bunch-o-stuff in it too.
Evil will always conquer over good, because good is dumb.

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

Stop staring at my daishos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
The real Britannia (formerly known as Sosaria) is the planet where most Ultima games happen. Felucca and Trammel are the two moons which orbit that planet.

In UO things are slightly different though, because the shards aren't the real Britannia. Shards have facets, which essentially are alternate dimensions/realities. When the initial new facet was created, it was just dubbed Trammel and the old land dubbed Felucca after the two moons.

It's unclear whether or not the shards actually have Trammel and Felucca (the moons) though, since it's only said that each shard holds a likeness of Britannia... no mention of any nearby stars, moons or planets.

Posted Image

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
So in Ultima Online... current date stuff no one truely has walked on the face of Britannic / Sosaria?

Because here I thought Trammel and Felucca was the planet Sosaria.. just the phases of the moon is what shifted the 2 diffrent scapes of the lands to Sosaria but finding that it is actually the moon...

Still unclear to me... very confusing =/

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Cabe Bedlam

Cabe Bedlam

Master of Magic, no really I'm serious

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

The real Britannia (formerly known as Sosaria) is the planet where most Ultima games happen. Felucca and Trammel are the two moons which orbit that planet.

In UO things are slightly different though, because the shards aren't the real Britannia. Shards have facets, which essentially are alternate dimensions/realities. When the initial new facet was created, it was just dubbed Trammel and the old land dubbed Felucca after the two moons.

It's unclear whether or not the shards actually have Trammel and Felucca (the moons) though, since it's only said that each shard holds a likeness of Britannia... no mention of any nearby stars, moons or planets.

There is a Trammel and Feluccia, just look through a telescope and it will tell you there phases.

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
I know there is the 2 moons... Felucca and Trammel but the question is... how do I get to Sosaria? Have I ever walked on the "real" planet or just only live my entire UO life on the moons of Sosaria and never actually stepped foot on the planet itself? What towns or cities is on Sosaria or dungeons? I live in Trammel and if that is a moon too Sosaria then I never seen the REAL planet and that is what is confusing me...

I heard at one time... original lands that Ultima Online started with had no real name? But eventally was called Felucca and then later Trammel came along... so... Only traveling by moons and never set foot on the planet itself?

This is where I am confused! LOL I do not know how else to explain this what I mean if I am being unclear of my question... not sure how else to word it haha! Sorry for all the confusion and stuff... I am just curious is all =P

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Here we go...

During your time in UO, you've never set foot on the real Britannia.
You've never been on the moon named Trammel.
You've never been on the moon named Felucca.

Clear so far? :)

Okay. In UO, you've been on a reflection of the true Britannia, a reflection that exists inside one (or more) of the shards broken off from the Gem of Immortality when it was shattered. Inside each shard is a perfect likeness of Britannia, this is where UO happens, those reflections of the real Britannia.

Because each shard is unique and unrelated to the other, each shard may have differing histories, events and people. They all merely started out in the same time in history, ie. the time when the Gem was shattered.

In the beginning, only one facet of the shard was known. That was Britannia, our original, "normal" world. Since then different facets have been discovered and/or created, and when Lord British had the first new facet created, he simply named it Trammel after the moon, and named the original world Felucca after the other moon (note: those are JUST NAMES, you've never been to either moon in UO).

Posted Image

Cabe Bedlam

Cabe Bedlam

Master of Magic, no really I'm serious

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
In Sherry's book it makes refrence that the shards need to be reunited,

"My task is to heal this shattered world, Lord British," said the voice. "And I seek to enlist thee in my cause. Be warned that in this case, healing carries with it a terrible price."

Concern warred with curiosity on my liege's face, but ever one to shoulder a burden, he straightened and faced the gash in the air bravely. "Name thy price."

"A shard of a universe is a powerful thing, and universe shattered is always in danger from the powers of darkness. Already three shards were turned to evil, and sent to plague the original universe in the form of Shadowlords. Many times have I brought the Stranger back to Britannia, to preserve it from its own folly or from outside dangers. Yet as long as the world remaineth in pieces, it remaineth vulnerable. We must bring the shards into harmony, so that they resonate in such a manner that matches the original universe. Then the two universes shall merge, and be again as one.

"But if we are only shadows..." Lord British said wonderingly.

The light from the stars within the hole seemed to dim. "Indeed, the reflections shall become one with the orginal. Thou wouldst cease to be as thou art, and become part of the larger you. Thou shalt not die; however, uncounted generations have passed and borne children since that day, and they have no counterparts. They would perish utterly." Lord British sagged in shock, realizing the terrible price that would be paid to heal the universe. "All of my people," he breathed.

"Tis for the greateer good."

Lord British bowed his head.

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
also the names were given to the facets because the way you traveled between them was by using moonstones. the moonstones were linked to the 2 moons of Sosaria. you could find Felucca and Trammel moonstones. if you were in Trammel you needed to use a Felucca moonstone to open a gate to the other facet.

*side note the stones would change color depending on the phase of the moons.

now however you just step into a moongate to travel between them or recall. when the "new" facet was discovered you could not recall or gate between them you had to use a moonstone.

the facets Trammel and Felucca where given their name because of the stone used to access them. you used a Trammel moonstone to get to what we now call Trammel and Felucca moonstone to get to what we now call Felucca.

hope that helps clear things up:)

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Thanks Som, I knew of the whole moonstone business but didn't connect it with the facet names. Makes lots of sense too.

The thing I gotta wonder about is how much is contained within a Shard? The "official" wording is "a perfect likeness of Britannia", but since clearly also Trammel and Felucca are present... some part of space around Britannia is within each Shard. The question is, how much space? Could there be entire other planets? Is it limited to Britannia's own orbit? What if there was a can of cola dropped from a passing Kilrathi space ship floating around in orbit when the Shattering happened, is that floating in space on every shard now?

Posted Image

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Thanks Som, I knew of the whole moonstone business but didn't connect it with the facet names. Makes lots of sense too.

The thing I gotta wonder about is how much is contained within a Shard? The "official" wording is "a perfect likeness of Britannia", but since clearly also Trammel and Felucca are present... some part of space around Britannia is within each Shard. The question is, how much space? Could there be entire other planets? Is it limited to Britannia's own orbit? What if there was a can of cola dropped from a passing Kilrathi space ship floating around in orbit when the Shattering happened, is that floating in space on every shard now?

I have my own idea about it but EA has not released to much info so it would just be my own thoughts on what happened when the gem shattered.

Hmm... I think I'll go look around for a Kilrathi vendor selling Cola :grin:

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Here's a good old site on the Ultima series.

Auric's Ultima Moongates

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lore, online, ultima